Pip-Boy 3000 Build-up (pic heavy)

Sorry for the bad picture! Had to take it with the phone since my card reader is kaput. Lights, camera ...

pipboy.jpg

Took all your advice Skruff - used the AAA battery pack, soldered directly to the LED (it's bright) and then cut the El sheet to fit, stripped the end of the inverter clip and soldered the wires directly to the sheet - works great so far! Still a lot more work to do, but having fun with it.

Honestly getting the hinge closure to fit is the hardest part so far :lol

Sorry for the bad picture! Had to take it with the phone since my card reader is kaput. Lights, camera ...

pipboy.jpg

Took all your advice Skruff - used the AAA battery pack, soldered directly to the LED (it's bright) and then cut the El sheet to fit, stripped the end of the inverter clip and soldered the wires directly to the sheet - works great so far! Still a lot more work to do, but having fun with it.

Honestly getting the hinge closure to fit is the hardest part so far :lol

kdring, that looks like a fantastic start!!

In case any one else is wondering, here is the advice I gave to kdring regarding the wiring:
"Wiring in the yellow LEDs will be the hardest thing about the electronics, probably. It depends on whether you want all 3 to light up or just one. If you want all 3 to work independently (i.e. not all on at the same time, which would look silly) you'll need a 3 way switch and that could be a little tricky to wire in. If not, you could just wire one of them to work. Either way you'll need power. The voltage for the LEDs is in the 2.2 to 2.4 range (I tested them with 2.4V and they worked just fine. 3V overloads them and burns them out in less than a second). If you wire them to your 9V, you'll need a resistor (there are calculators online that can tell you exactly what you need, like LED Calculator - Current limiting resistor calculator for LED arrays). Also, you'll want to play around with it because if you put the resistor and LED before the inverter in series then the inverter will not get the voltage that it wants; so you'll want to put it after the inverter. For example: positive (red) from battery to inverter, then the black from the inverter to resistor, then to the positive lead of the LED, then a wire to the other (negative) lead of the LED back to the battery. And you'll possibly want to wire a switch in there somewhere; even though the inverter has one built in, that may be hard to access once you get everything crammed in there. Otherwise, space permitting, you can get a separate battery holder (probably a 2 AAA due to its small size) and put in 2 rechargeable batteries. Rechargeables only generate 1.2V each, so 2 of them output 2.4V and do not require a resistor to power the LED. This is the easiest solution, but it does take up extra space."

That was great! Thanks for posting the link.

Heh, I even got a mention under the "Special Thanks" at the end. :cool

You're welcome. I figured I'd post it here in case you weren't sent the link and everyone was wondering what it was like.

I haven't played the game myself, but I have to say, I enjoyed the short as a fan film. And Skruffy, I'm glad you got "props" for your prop replica. :D

Actually the guy who made the film sent has a link set up that links straight to here. I actually found out about your model through him. I would love to be put on the PM list for the next run if you wouldn't mind.

Also, going on the pipboy angle, I found a blog that also creates papercraft fallout items, and one of them he is attempting is a papercraft pipboy :D
papercraft Pip boy

I followed the link from from Indymogul, and man, am I glad of it! If I could be added to the PM list for the next run of Pipboys, that would be amazing. I definitely want one of these--kudos for making such an awesome replica! There's no chance that you could make some for people who want to cosplay as a Vault Dweller for PAX East, is there? :p

I've visited this forum a few times, but only recently registered after following the link to this thread via Indymogul... Amazing work! No doubt you're getting a lot more requests than previously, but if it's possible I would love to be added to the list if there's one in the future.

Welcome all RPF n00bs!! Explore the site. Read some of the threads. Please chime in if you have anything to add to the discussions!! This really is a fantastic site and community and you will no doubt find MANY things of interest if you look around. Heck, just search for Fallout to see some of the other great prop and armor builds that are in-progress or are complete. Or, think of pretty much any other show/franchise/genre which you are a fan of and you will no doubt find prop topics related to them.

I've got your names down on my list for the next run. I'm not guaranteeing a time frame, but I'll let you all know via email or PM when it is time. Feel free to PM me your email addresses if you want to be notified that way.

This is truly one of the greatest things that I have seen on this forum. I am bowing in reverence to your prowess on this piece. Now if only you could access your energy weapons and regular ammo guns in separate sub menus. Grrrrr. :)

dude this is ****ing amazing ive been tryin to find this thing ever since i saw it on indy mogul, where can i buy a resin cast or how can i make it and how much would cost either or

Does anyone know how an iPod touch/iPhone would fit under the screen? I have no problems with just using the basic STATUS screen, but it would be cool to have it be somewhat functional.

Does anyone know how an iPod touch/iPhone would fit under the screen? I have no problems with just using the basic STATUS screen, but it would be cool to have it be somewhat functional.

I don't know if it would fit or not. The screen I was considering using is a 2G nano one or something like it with this microprocessor attached so that i can make it work like a screen (but it is on the bottom of my list of things to do in accordance with my outfit.)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back