Pink insulation foam experts, I need your help

Sith, If your wondering about the foam - you can see it above in the PINK yoda head photo already posted. It comes in 4x8 foot sheets at Lowes, Home Depot or other large home improvement stores. It's rigid insulation and also comes in BLUE

Yeah it's 28.00 a sheet at Home Depot. Out low's doesn't have the 2" stuff here. It very a very good thing to work with. You imagination is the only holdback

I too have built many a thing out of the pink 4x8 insulation poly extruded foam sheets from the big box home improvement stores.

The sword in these pics was made with pink foam and then covered with fiberglass using epoxy resin, not polyester resin (the stinky standard will eat thru the foam stuff)

3151663526_81f5b8137d_o.jpg

2926021842_02734e9696_o.jpg

The wings here were pink foam covered with Krylon H20 paint as a sealant before the gold was applied.

1746839563_a16ae96629_o.jpg

1746838175_e99af711db_o.jpg

Moving on to StyroSpray for the next project now.

That Yoda rocks man!

Great thread, I know Kilz water based is a good way to coat pink foam, but what are other Off the shelf products you suggest for coating it. I know about the more expensive stuff I can buy online, but would be nice if Home depot and Lowes had alternatives for this.

-wes

I haven't read all the responses, so forgive me if this has been mentioned.

You can coat pink foam with epoxy, or urethane resin, and they will give you a hard shell coating that can be sanded and painted. There is also a commercial product called Vanillcryl that produces a hard paintable surface.

So is Plasti Dip a good match for sealing pink foam? I am looking for something for outdoors. Might try kilz, but is it water based like Plasti dip?

this is great advice!! i coated some pink foam with plasti dip and when it dried it was like shrink wrap !!! i'll try some coats of kiltz.

What is the best knife to cut the pink foam? any serrated knife? is a hot knife necessary and if so, does anyone have a good source for an affordable one?

thanks
Den

So far for me (just starting out) a fresh razor blade/box cutter or hacksaw works. Have to go back and sand it.

For me the stuff needs to be sanded anyway so its no big deal.... can just be a pain in the butt getting all the way through.

Half temped to get some E strings and build one of the foam cutters I saw on instructables .com

Bumping an old thread to add my two cents. I haven't used Kilz but it sounds like a great solution, and somewhat inexpensive.

In my experience, Plasti-Dip will work - even the spray-can stuff, just make sure your first couple coats are very light so the propellant doesn't get at the foam. Plasti-Dip adds a lot of volume and a moderate amount of weight, so it will hide minor imperfections but also obscure any fine detail. You can use just about any paint on top of the Plasti-Dip, including other spray paints. It's somewhat expensive from a spray can.

Strongman weights constructed from blue foam, PVC pipe, and styrofoam:
th_103FC32A-8ACF-457F-A453-6EE88AD76034.jpg

A few coats of spray-on Plasti-Dip, pardon the terrible picture of my lovely wife who just woke up from a nap on the couch.

th_1D67AEB6-76EA-416E-A8D7-AC75EADAD358.jpg

After this I sprayed with a cheap flat black to get rid of the powdery look from the bottom of the can of Plastic-Dip, then added numbers with silver sharpie and acrylic. Finished product with our strongwoman, pardon the lousy image quality that's been downloaded from Facebook and re-uploaded to Photobucket.

Lots of visible imperfections still, this was a super quick build, I didn't have time for any proper patching of those scuffs and marks. But as you can see, careful application of the spray-can Plasti-Dip didn't eat the foam.

41F9F428-9FE9-4122-84F7-279ABC04FBBD.jpg

Latex house paint from the "oops" bin at the hardware store is a good solution too. However, in my experience, even after the paint has dried and cured, your painted parts will stick to other painted parts even after a short time being stored together (a couple hours!), and the paint will peel off when you separate the parts. A happy side effect of this is that you can use the latex paint as a glue of sorts, to glue layers together.

Blue foam "mountains" and thorns for Maleficent's castle for a stage production, five panels that attach with hinges that I made from Sintra, using pencils as hinge pins. The dark gray is the color of the house paint I got; the green and gold are the latex paint then cheap acrylics. The castle is cut from plastic foamcore (not Sintra, I can't remember what it's called) that I scavenged from old retail signage that was headed for a dumpster; paint job on the castle is not complete in this pic.

th_548350A8-8B82-44EA-991D-D1565EEC3981.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back