Hiccup - How To Train Your Dragon 2

Jayy8Bit

Hey there! I've been looking around and can't seem to locate what I'm looking for. I'm working on a Hiccup cosplay and am having a really hard time finding the gambeson (the brown diamond pattern suit under the armor). Does anyone know where I can purchase one pre-made or the patterns so I can make it myself? I'm sure there's an Etsy or something but I just haven't been able to find it yet. I have found gambeson's obviously, but nothing that's anywhere near accurate to Hiccup's. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit: I also plan to use this thread for progress updates <3

1695914306937.png

Last edited:
Are you looking for real leather or faux? Faux you can probably find the material on eBay, or maybe even JoAnn's. Real leather might be a bit harder unless you have the skill and tools. That pattern looks close to "scale" or "tooth", which I think Tandy Leather sold at one time.

Are you looking for real leather or faux? Faux you can probably find the material on eBay, or maybe even JoAnn's. Real leather might be a bit harder unless you have the skill and tools. That pattern looks close to "scale" or "tooth", which I think Tandy Leather sold at one time.

I'd be fine with either. I have used Tandy in the past (I called and they no longer carry any scale-like and they're out of stock of <3oz leather) and already own all of the tools. I'm just really bad at patterns lol. But, a thought hit me earlier. I think I can easily make my own by sacrificing one of my fitted t-shirts to get the base patterns above the waist and then add the parts that go down the sides of the legs, then lay it flat to trace the outline onto my material. Not sure why I didn't think of that earlier. I need to take a break. Brain is turning to mush.

1695930498464.png

I believe your idea to use a clothing item of your own to make a pattern is a good one. However remember a "fitted" t-shirt is a knit fabric with probably a lot of stretch. Cutting a pattern using that will be much too small for a material like real or fake leather which will not stretch. A well-fitting dress shirt might work better. Causal shirts often have too much "ease" over dress shirts and would have a fit you might find too loose.

This is where finding an item at a charity or discount clothing store can be good. If you find the right size you do not need to worry about style or color, just the fit as you are going to sacrifice it anyway.

I believe your idea to use a clothing item of your own to make a pattern is a good one. However remember a "fitted" t-shirt is a knit fabric with probably a lot of stretch. Cutting a pattern using that will be much too small for a material like real or fake leather which will not stretch. A well-fitting dress shirt might work better. Causal shirts often have too much "ease" over dress shirts and would have a fit you might find too loose.

This is where finding an item at a charity or discount clothing store can be good. If you find the right size you do not need to worry about style or color, just the fit as you are going to sacrifice it anyway.

Thanks for the tip!

Here's my progress so far. I plan to finish the chest tonight and possibly start on the gambeson as well since I finally have a new sewing machine and all of the materials needed. I have spent days and days looking for a pattern. Since it seems it does not exist, I plan to release the patterns once I have it made so others can use it if they wish.

1.jpg
2.jpg

I have put a bit more work into the suits. I would guess about 90% done with both :)

Attachments

• 396782044_294763140045670_1960110301484966369_n.jpg
    396782044_294763140045670_1960110301484966369_n.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 97

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back