Original Tron Identity Disc - Need Help with slight problem

Re: Ok Original Tron identity Disc?

I haven't bought LEDs from eBay, so I can't offer much help there.

For the LEDs, I think a standard T1-1/4 (3 mm) through-hole mount should do the trick. These will have nice long leads for soldering. They're also the most common type, so you may be able to get them more cheaply.

Mouser is too expensive.

Right now I am searching for something with hopefully greater than 6000mcd and a wide viewing angle, I am sort of getting a grasp for what some of this means.

So far the greatest I have found said it was 10,000 mcd and a 20 degree angle.

I am hoping for 8,000-10,000 mcd with a 45 degree angle.

I stole these images from JediFyfe's thread about his disc, hope he doesn't mind but it's to make a point and ask an important question.

I designed this disc like this one.

disk.jpg

back01.jpg

M80056822-vi.jpg

vlcsnap-2177815.png

vlcsnap-2184635.png

But there are also these versions.

vlcsnap-2189736.png

M80999904-vi.jpg

vlcsnap-2185387.png

vlcsnap-2186846.png

vlcsnap-2176770.png

So obviously there are differences in disc size, number of rings, and so on.

Of the one that I chose, when that disc shows up again, there is even a variation that has a light ring on the outermost vertical wall near the final lip of the disc.

Now As of now with the 5 rings I have mapped out about 108 lights per disc. Battery life won't be as great but it should look pretty good.

Since there is a version that doesn't have that outermost glowing ring, and there IS a shot with just the 5 rings, am I staying true to the form of movie accuracy? This disc will be 12" but it doesn't look like the version I chose is exactly 12 inches, but if I do this one in 12 inches it will ensure that all the lights fit in the small grooves.

Now I am just learning of jargon when it comes to led lights. I figured having a light with an MCD of 10,000 with a smaller degree radius would be comprable to having a 6,000 MCD with a wider degree of radius.

The 10,000 mcd lights I found only had a 25 degree radius but I figured the brightness would take care of some hotspots.

I thought finding something with 8,000 mcd with a radius of 45 degrees would probably be better.

But luckily I found a great compromise, these lights have an MCD of 6,000 but have a radius of 180 degrees!!! And the red versions have an mcd of 5,000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230338948231&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:US:1123

So these will not be as bright as a 10,000, but I will have fewer lights, and I think they will look pretty good. And this way, they WOULD actually sit under the rings facing up as opposed to facing the sides of the disc.

But we are still meeting tomorrow to test our options.

What do you guys think?

If I used these, assuming that the grooves are big enough to compensate each light including the smallest groove, maybe we'd have to make it bigger, this would be the new placement of lights, it will vary slightly and maybe depending on how big these lights are in the rings, we can get them closer together. Nevermind that some of these are in an incorrect color arrangement, it's just to show what I have planned as how many lights in each groove.

newlights.jpg

Right now each disc will have 108 lights which means I have to order 1080 in each color. I am going to order 1200 in each light which will still keep me under $300 well under my $500 budget for lights.

But if I do this disc

vlcsnap-2176770.png

M80999904-vi.jpg

I will have 6 rings, this one looks to be 12" big, but I will more than likely be utilizing the full 1200 order per light in each disc used, and battery life will not last near as long. Plus I would have to imagine that some of these lights will not work that is why I am ordering the extra anyway.

But if I do the disc I proposed initially, it will not be exactly a screen accurate size.

So what do you guys think I should do?

Last edited:

the ones on the back would be most likly be in "sleep" mode = smaller light rings
when ready to use "battle"larger rings and they did kinda go in different number on other shots
but I have notice there are 5 rings in both modes, just different thickness

Mouser is too expensive.
Digi-Key, then? You're talking about $0.10-$0.15 apiece before volume discounts.

I stole these images from JediFyfe's thread about his disc, hope he doesn't mind but it's to make a point and ask an important question.

I designed this disc like this one.

disk.jpg
Perhaps JediFyfe can give you a measurement of the diameter?

This looks great!

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup

Just a thought, but maybe you should make a blank and play with LEDs and such and see what looks best. I mean, you can plan out as much as you like, but until you actually sit down and hook it up, you won't really know for sure. Maybe for the moment, concentrate on just getting the disc blanks made.

Personally, I like having a brighter light which lasts longer, the more I think about it. I'd say that if you can get a reasonable light, go with LEDs.

Here's an out-there thought. Put a coating of fluorescent nanoparticles. You can mix the red and the blue. Then, if you have LEDs of the right UV wavelength, you will only excite one and not the other. Thus, you get a bright, brilliant and very even fluorescence, and you don't need to worry about brightspots so much. Best part is that they don't photobleach, so it'll last practically forever.

Okay, I know that seems like a crazy idea, I just thought it might be kinda cool is all.

Just a thought, but maybe you should make a blank and play with LEDs and such and see what looks best. I mean, you can plan out as much as you like, but until you actually sit down and hook it up, you won't really know for sure. Maybe for the moment, concentrate on just getting the disc blanks made.

Personally, I like having a brighter light which lasts longer, the more I think about it. I'd say that if you can get a reasonable light, go with LEDs.

Here's an out-there thought. Put a coating of fluorescent nanoparticles. You can mix the red and the blue. Then, if you have LEDs of the right UV wavelength, you will only excite one and not the other. Thus, you get a bright, brilliant and very even fluorescence, and you don't need to worry about brightspots so much. Best part is that they don't photobleach, so it'll last practically forever.

Okay, I know that seems like a crazy idea, I just thought it might be kinda cool is all.

What the hell is a nanoparticle? :rolleyes

I really don't know, but I will ask Jason tomorrow.

Digi-Key, then? You're talking about $0.10-$0.15 apiece before volume discounts.

Perhaps JediFyfe can give you a measurement of the diameter?

This looks great!

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup
Digi-key was the other one I was thinking

he pm " about 8.5 inches across"

What the hell is a nanoparticle? :rolleyes

I really don't know, but I will ask Jason tomorrow.

Sorry, I meant that suggestion to be tongue-in-cheek. NP's are an area of nanotechnology research for a variety of reasons. Look up quantum dots on google images and you'll see one variety people have been particularly interested in. Really beautiful spectrum of colors. But for a project like this? Probably not a good idea- it would bring the cost up unless you knew someone who made them.

So I got a REALLY good deal on some LED's.

They are the flat tops like these.

500 x 5mm FLAT TOP Wide Angle Blue LED 6000 mcd USA! - eBay (item 230338948231 end time Jan-12-11 23:57:32 PST)

But on this ebay listing there is a grey spec sheet at the bottom that states a
SIGNATURE SERIES

where the blue light has an MCD of 13,000 and a red light with an MCD of 12,000 which will still have a 180 degree radius and I got 2400 (1200 in each color) for less than $350, well under my budget for $500 for the lights.

And guys I have two infractions for soliciting in this area of the forum. Please do NOT post whether you are interested or not. Only pm me if you are curious and I will send you a link to a thread on another forum where we have ONLY started a list of those interested and only post there after I send you the information.

Last edited:

I just found out that the disc was actually 8.5" and not 12" which is what I had planned on doing.

Do you think it matters because I don't think the lights will fit in the smallest cavity if I do 8.5.

What do you guys think?

Me personally I would still want it 12" but what is ya'lls opinion

Do the 12". I like something big and beautiful to display and play with. I don't think anyone really cares if it is a couple of inches too large of a diameter. In the original movie, they didn't have real glowing discs, they just rotoscoped them. I'd say stick with what you'd got, it works, don't worry too much about it.

Besides, if you're going to get nitpicky with that kind of stuff, they are supposed to glow on top and on bottom, but nobody has complained about that. And I don't see mine recording everything I've been doing and being able to throw it in a flash of light to kill people. Mind you, I'd be willing to pay extra for that feature. ;)

In all seriousness, I don't think you should worry about it. I like 12". And as I'm sure my wife would point out- 12" is better than 8.5" ::big obvious wink::

So now I really need ya'lls help.

So I went to hobby lobby and I bought some styrofoam to do some mock ups.

I got a block and shaped each one to be 12" and 9" - the 12" was way too huge

So I found someone on ebay who is selling one of the actual discs and he said it was 8.5.

I did 9" as a round number and it came out like this.

9disc1.jpg

9disc2.jpg

The problem is, some of these rings won't accomodate a 5mm light and the 3mm lights aren't powerful enough.

So it looks like I am doing the disc that Tron threw into the mcp afterall.
M80999904-vi.jpg

vlcsnap-2186846.png

vlcsnap-2176770.png

I did some scaling and it appears it's a 10.5" disc which is regulation size.

So all the rings are even and this is going to be a pain.

Each disc will have 356 lights.

Here is the mockup.

disclightsFINAL.jpg

Can one battery pack even power that many on one disc?

That's a lot of LEDs! Are you sure you need to space them shoulder-to-shoulder like that? I'd think having a gap one LED wide would be OK.

hmm the FX/ICON sabers might have a hint of how to do it?
I have notice they used a foam like diffuser to help with the light

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back