Original Tron Identity Disc - Need Help with slight problem

TxBabyHuey

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am still new here, and sometimes my imagination exceeds my limitations.

But there is an incredible sense of magic I feel when I hold a replica in my hands. Star Wars has replica lightsabers, which it doesn't matter which ones you hold, but whichever one you hold, you feel like a kid again.

I remember when I was 4 years old my older brother and I were at my aunt's wedding and at the reception we found some broomsticks. We pretended they were lightsabers and I my brother whacked me pretty good in the face, and for all the pictures I had a nasty black eye.

The sad thing is, for the original TRON there are NO replicas.

So next to the bits this is the thing I would LOVE to tackle next, because even if we had an unrelated frisbee when we were kids, we would still try to derezz the hell out each other.

So here are some pictures of an idea I had, I saw the thread on the guy who did his own identity disc and it was GORGEOUS!!!

Tron replica identity disc

So I designed one in 3d, and if I had this lasered out, I created the color rings so that one can insert lights inside the cavities. Please excuse the crudity of this model, this is a one hour job.

disc1.jpg

So the colored rings can be removed to reveal some cavities where one can insert lights.

disc3.jpg

NOW...WHAT IF!!!

There were two sets of lights that could be inserted into the cavity, red lights and blue lights?

disc2.jpg

Then by using a 3 way switch, there would be 3 modes
sliding2.gif

1. off
2. blue
3. red

I can design a second cavity in the back where the electronics and batteries go.

disc4.jpg

This is all conversation because getting the disc lasered out would be somewhat expensive.

And I need to know if there is someone out there who can.

A. wire the electronics.
B. Handle molds
I already talked to one guy near me who said he can help. But I am thinking the removable rings would have to be molded in a frosted white clearish plastic so the light can shine through, the disc itself can be molded in regular white plastic.

And not to mention....

I know how much the lasering of the disc will cost.

But how much per unit will the electronics cost?

How much will it cost to have each set shot out in plastic?

Would anyone be interested in one of these?

I have a place I can go to have this lasered out. I have to get an estimate, but does anyone on this forum actually have a 3d printer? Zcorp machines will more than likely be the type that will laser this out in a sandstone like texture, which small brittle parts can break off afterwards.

The one place I would want to go through, would laser it out of plastic like resin which would probably be best.

Last edited:
Re: Ok Original Tron identity Disc?

And the reason it would be somewhat expensive to laser this out is because I am thinking this would be 12" wide and about 2.5" - 3" deep.

Does anyone know what the original measurements were?

I saw on that one thread there are several versions so any input would be helpful. And the smaller it is the cheaper it would be.

Try getting it 3D printed by Shapeways, and then make a mold of it. Same with the rings for the lights.

I'm very interested in this project, simply because I'd love to have an idealized first movie Identity disk.

3D printing would be ludicrously expensive for something like this. Definitely at least $500...and then it would still need to be smoothed.

For me, CNCing a master is the way to go on something like this. Perhaps it could be made in two pieces that nest inside one another so that you could run the wire, then seal it up.

Just a thought.

-Nick

This is my concern. The Tron Legacy disc runs off of 6 button size batteries, and blinks and has sequences.

This one I would just want it on or off, and that includes red and blue.

The bit replicas totalled in 15 inches across and were we sold them for $100 for the set. This would require two mold sets, the disc and the rings.

Shapeways would be CRAZY expensive. The place I would go through would cost about $700+ and that is because they would be giving me a student discount because the owner is also an alumni of the Academy of Art in San Francisco.

I don't know how much the electronics would cost per disc, and I don't know who on here would be good at that while keeping it in spirit of doing cheap for the fellow members on the forum.

My services of modeling this would be free. I think we would need at least 10 people at a deposit of $75 each just to cover the cost of doing the lasering of the disc itself.

The molds, I have no idea how much that would cost, the place that did the bits also included the cleaning and sanding of the bits and the molds all in one package of about $1200.

So assuming that this would cost about $1000 for the molds we are at $1750 which means we would need about 23 people at $75 each or 18 people at $100 each.

I would happily pay $100 for one of these.

That $1750 doesn't include the cost of a person wiring each one and figuring out how to wire each one.

So since I AM new here I need to know all the costs of this idea, and then we can go from there.

I now have enough posts for the junkyard, and would always trade my services for modeling in 3d for someone willing to do the wiring. I don't want to make money from this, I just want this to be a fun venture.

I know for a fact I can get at least 10 people from the unfiction forum. And not to mention this forum.

So I just need some help figuring out costs. The company that could do this will be open on monday and I will call for an estimate on the lasering.

Anyone here who can help figure out the cost of what lights to use, how to assemble the wiring.

And worse case we can just sell them as a kit that you easily put together yourself.

3D printing would be ludicrously expensive for something like this. Definitely at least $500...and then it would still need to be smoothed.

For me, CNCing a master is the way to go on something like this. Perhaps it could be made in two pieces that nest inside one another so that you could run the wire, then seal it up.

Just a thought.

-Nick

Also a SPECTACULAR Idea, we don't have a CNC machine, so once again if someone can tell me they would do it for X amount would really help.

Doing it by hand...I don't want that option because I want this to be perfectly symmetrical.

Well I think I found someone to help me CNC this out, now I just need someone to help with the electronics. Should be simple, but I need to know what kind of lights to use, the only thing I hate about the Tron Legacy Deluxe disc is there are 6 or something lights on it and you can tell there are few lights.

That's why I think the frosted plastic would be best.

Don't know just yet, what do you guys suggest for lights? Battery hookups?

Couldnt you take a frisbee, cut the pattern out of it... paint it black underneath and either grey or white on top... Then just make either a single round lit circular shape and mount it underneath?

Just a thought.

This one I would just want it on or off, and that includes red and blue.
This wouldn't be too hard to do. I'd recommend using T1-1/4 LEDs (just connected to wires) or surface-mount LEDs (which would require some custom circuit boards, adding cost). You'd need a bunch, alternating red/blue/red/blue/etc. all the way around the channels, with a clear plastic lens on top. Wiring would be such that all the red LEDs are on one circuit and all the blue on another circuit. Then the 3-position switch (SP3T or DP3T) could select the operating mode (blue/off/red). Apart from wiring the LEDs and some current limiting resistors, there wouldn't be much to the circuit.

Another lighting option would be EL cords, but you'd need to squeeze red and blue alongside each other in each channel, with an overlying clear plastic lens. The electronics would take up more space, too.

I'm happy to give some design help with the electronics (I'm an engineer by training).

Interesting project. I am in the process of modeling, and have 3D printed by Shapeways, the Tron 2.0 Jet's disc. I am currently debugging the model so it can be printed, but, yes, the cost of the printing is just killing me ( like 200$ for each side ). If someone know a company that does the same job for less, please tell me.

I think I'd be interested for a Tron 1 disc... ;)

This wouldn't be too hard to do. I'd recommend using T1-1/4 LEDs (just connected to wires) or surface-mount LEDs (which would require some custom circuit boards, adding cost). You'd need a bunch, alternating red/blue/red/blue/etc. all the way around the channels, with a clear plastic lens on top. Wiring would be such that all the red LEDs are on one circuit and all the blue on another circuit. Then the 3-position switch (SP3T or DP3T) could select the operating mode (blue/off/red). Apart from wiring the LEDs and some current limiting resistors, there wouldn't be much to the circuit.

Another lighting option would be EL cords, but you'd need to squeeze red and blue alongside each other in each channel, with an overlying clear plastic lens. The electronics would take up more space, too.

I'm happy to give some design help with the electronics (I'm an engineer by training).

Where is a good place to look other than ebay? I think just to start I would just want to wire maybe 5 of these discs together then see what happens from that.

Where is a good place to look other than ebay? I think just to start I would just want to wire maybe 5 of these discs together then see what happens from that.
In terms of the electronics (LEDs specifically), I'd go with an online parts supplier like Mouser or Digi-Key. Switches, resistors, and battery holders could be purchased there too. I'd avoid eBay--too much quality variation, poorer selection, and probably worse prices.

A better option (for more even lighting) might be to use red/blue bicolor LEDs.

Digi-Key
red/blue bicolor led

In terms of the electronics (LEDs specifically), I'd go with an online parts supplier like Mouser or Digi-Key. Switches, resistors, and battery holders could be purchased there too. I'd avoid eBay--too much quality variation, poorer selection, and probably worse prices.

Digi-Key
red/blue bicolor led

There is a Mouser Electronics about 10 minutes from my house.

I will always admit what I know and don't know, and I know NOTHING about electronics.

I will work up a diagram of the lights I was thinking of doing, and if someone can tell me what exactly I would need to get it to work I would really appreciate it.

Working on the diagram now be back in one hour or so.

Digi-Key
red/blue bicolor led

There is a Mouser Electronics about 10 minutes from my house.

I will always admit what I know and don't know, and I know NOTHING about electronics.

I will work up a diagram of the lights I was thinking of doing, and if someone can tell me what exactly I would need to get it to work I would really appreciate it.

Working on the diagram now be back in one hour or so.

Ok here is how I would want to arrange the lights. On the second most outer ring, the thinnest ring there is, I had to tilt the lights.

So let's say if this disc is 12" wide and 12" high, and just to make it deep enough, maybe 2.5" inches and if I have to 3" tall.

I would want these lights to be bright, and the rings would probably be a frosted white plastic so the red will show well, and the blue will show well.

So exactly what lights will I need, which switch, and what kind of battery should I get to power this. I would think maybe 4 - AAA's would be small enough to get this to work. But once again I know NOTHING about electronics.

What should I do.

And I have a mouser electronics right down the street from me, so how should I go about this?

DiscLights.jpg

disclights2.jpg

*EDIT*
OOOHHHHH!!! I get it, a blue AND red Led light, that makes sense. And I would guess each disc will require 50 or so lights each. I counted on the diagram that I have and there are about 44. So just to give the outer rim more lights, I guess I will distribute about 50 lights through each disc unless that is way too many. I guess if I combine them I won't need as many or as many all the way around.

I have never done this before so what is necessary.

For 100 of these lights it's about $145.

So aside from this light, what other switch, wiring, and batter capabilities will I need?

Last edited:

^ Just replied to your note, but I'll share the highlights out here too.

You'd need at least 3V to power the LEDs easily, but it sounds like you'll have enough room for a few AAAs, which is great. My basic idea would be to get T1-1/4 dual color LEDs and just wire them up manually, as this would save money on having to design and etch your own circuit boards. It would be more time consuming to solder up, but would be feasible for a (very) small run, I imagine. As for wiring the LEDs, I'd propose some sort of serial/parallel combination...I'm happy to knock out a few circuit diagrams once I have a sense for how many LEDs you want to use and how many batteries you want to power them. Current limiting resistors would be needed too.

As I understand it, LED's have a finite degree of spread. Usually between 10 & 40 degrees. This would mean far more to get an even dispersion of bright light. EL sheets may be your best bet though, for flat, even dispersion of bright light.

Also, I would go with button batteries if you can. They take up far less room, and if you get them centrally located, you can still throw the "Frisbee" without issues. Use just enough to match or exceed the voltage requirements of your circuit, and a line resistor to throttle it back if needed.

NOTE: I'm not an electrician by any stretch, but I've been looking into this exact thing for my Legacy disc for a few days now. If anyone has amendments to my suggestions, I welcome the input.

Can someone send me a link to the EL sheets?

I didn't see them on mouser, I looked everything up on google, and EL apparentely stands for Electroluminescence, I mispelled that here, but I know I looked it up correctly.

But the drawback would be that I can't do a red/blue combination, I would have to do one or the other with EL sheets right?

If I do the led's I can have the option of doing blue AND red right?

That EL sheeting looks kind of expensive. And not to mention all the stuff I have to buy just to get it to light.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back