Original Tron Identity Disc - Need Help with slight problem

Re: Ok Original Tron identity Disc?

That's a lot of LEDs! Are you sure you need to space them shoulder-to-shoulder like that? I'd think having a gap one LED wide would be OK.

Well maybe not that close, but less than and led distance. I think what I have decided to do is this.

There are two routes to go and I will call them option A and option B

Option A:
This disc has 5 color rings

This is the disc that was on their backs. And the one that RAM spun on his finger. The REAL disc is 8.5"

This is the disc in question from the movie.

back01.jpg

M80056822-vi.jpg

vlcsnap-2177815.png

vlcsnap-2184635.png

And it looks like this when in physical form.

9disc2.jpg

The problem with this disc is when it is 8.5" and I stay true to the proportions, the 5mm lights only fit into two of the cavities, therefore needing to expand the smaller rings so that the 5mm lights will fit.

The all the rest of the proportions will be wrong.

But I can make this disc 10.5" and correct the rings to fit the lights and it won't look AS bad. But at this point it will look like a generic light disc.

Option B:

This disc is SUPPOSED to have 6 color rings.

Taking the disc that was used to actually be thrown around which is actually 10.5" and has the 6 color rings.

These are the discs in the movie I am talking about.

M80999904-vi.jpg

vlcsnap-2185387.png

vlcsnap-2186846.png

vlcsnap-2176770.png

Now I was planning on having the rings for the disc lasered out of acrylic via RebelScum.

But, you will notice the 6th and outermost ring have a concavity to it. Which means I cannot laser that one out, and will require more lights.

here are two quick 3d images of the disc with rings, and the red rings being the concave ones I am speaking of.

test1.jpg

test2.jpg

Now I can skip the acrylic lasering, and have these CNC'ed with the disc itself. But the thing is, it will be kind of a pain to snap and pop into place as it were. Not to mention it will have more lights.

BUT...this disc, will be more movie accurate, minus one rings of lights, and I can still save money by having the rings shot out of acrylic.

But if I leave it in (the 6th ring), I have to have 1. more lights 2. and have molds themselves made for these rings.

What do you guys think I should do?

Re: Original Tron Identity Disc - Need Opinions (Last Post)

Here is my "costume disc" made from the original foam disc of the time. I painted by hand as were the originals, used black 2 piece pinstripe tape for the outer ring, same as original, and I glued a "cross" velcro attachment to the reverse same as the original. The color is a white satin. The disc measures 8.5 inches. Hope this helps.

0101111034.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Given that both styles of disc are screen-accurate, I'd go with whichever version was easier to fabricate. What is the reason for not using 3 mm (T1-1/4) LEDs for narrower rings? Very bright ones can be had, probably on eBay.

Well, me and Jason were busy thurs and fri. So hopefully we will meet this week.

I asked some friends on the tron forum, and they said to do the 10.5" in the version that tron threw into the mcp and that sark showed the new recruits.

AND a majority said to keep the 6th ring in there.

So we will see if I can afford this option.

Well me and Jason met and putting (or hand wiring) 356 ain't gonna happen.

So I tried the 8.5" disc with 3mm lights and it still turned out to be 350+ lights.

Arggh.

So we are going to try to put the pre-wired led ribbons attached to the walls facing out now, LED wire just wasn't working.

And CNC'inc is looking somewhat expensive and to laser it out of plastic is only $400 when it is 10.5"

More developments soon.

I am Steve, the guy working with TxBabyHuey aka Shaved_ape aka John on this project.

I will be posting in the junkyard here in a little bit so no more posts here just go there or pm me.

We are also starting the list in the junkyard for the second run of bits.

check the junkyard soon.

Hey guys, I went to rebelscums shop sunday to test some led strips and they work GREAT.

So I am going to go with LED strips. There were no hot spots. BUT...

Since the rings are clear, we tried sandblasting the bottom side of the rings and you can see through them. So hot spots are not the issue anymore, the opacity of the rings is.

so is there something you guys can suggest as far as filling each cavity with design vellum, onion skin paper, or anything like that that can diffuse the light.

Last edited:
I would be up for getting one of these. Down payment or whatever, just let me know if you are making a list. Thanks, and awesome project, user.

Hey guys, I went to rebelscums shop sunday to test some led strips and they work GREAT.

So I am going to go with LED strips. There were no hot spots. BUT...

Since the rings are clear, we tried sandblasting the bottom side of the rings and you can see through them. So hot spots are not the issue anymore, the opacity of the rings is.

so is there something you guys can suggest as far as filling each cavity with design vellum, onion skin paper, or anything like that that can diffuse the light.

milky transparent plastic foam sheet..its kinda like packing sheets used for dishes

I am assuming from the construction pics that you are installing the LED's directly in the bottom of the groves of the rings. I wonder if you can mount them in a recess next to the rings pointing inwards. The frosted plastic Rings should still transmit the light out. In fact this same idea might make your other designs possible. I have done a very rough drawing of what I am thinking. Hopefully it attaches.

pub

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back