One-Stop 11' TOS Enterprise Reference Thread: NCC-1701, No Bloody A...

I wonder if anyone ever thought to build up a model as the film model, meaning with the port side lack of detail.

I was actually wondering the same thing last night, I haven't ever seen it done but that's not to say someone somewhere hasn't?

Really?

David Shaw's 1/6 Scratch-build Thread - That's 1/6 scale to the original 11' model, not to real life (where would you put it?). Done as a model of the model, not the starship, with an eye toward learning more about the studio model! And the hits just keep on comin'! [Added 1/23/15]

And yeah, it is based on my research as a scratch build rather than altering either the 1/1000 or 1/350 kits. It was researching this model that provided me with details on the port sides of the nacelles and secondary hull...

I did a test using parts cast from the same molds to make my USS Columbia model to see how the parts worked together (and to catch any obvious errors before incorperating them into my Enterprise model).

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I can appreciate why someone would want to recreate the filming model - 60's wiring and all - I'd prefer to do full justice to the design and 'fill in the gaps' as it were. After all, if we are to believe the deliberately flipped shots were showing us the 'other' side then it really does have all the details.
BTW, am I right in thinking that this model has the most 'canon' or 'on-screen' variations/version? From changes between the two pilots to the series full, and then was there some detail added in the 3rd season?
The only one that would come close is the D (if you count the 2 and 4 foot versions) with the 6 foot and it's repaint for Generations. Or the beaten, Borged or armoured Voyagers (but those were all CGI)

There was the two pilot versions and the series version but were there changes in the third season? I thought they mostly used stock footage for budget reasons especially in the third so if there were I don't recall? Also if different models count (2 foot and 4 foot of the D) then there's also the smaller one's of the ship in the series as well as Trials and Tribulations small changes...then what 3 different CG versions in series of the same ship?

Also that's very cool Shaw! I myself want to have the fully detailed "ship" version but still a very cool and interesting project to see built.

Last edited:
I'd love to see someone with the talent produce an exact replica of her in smaller scale but also using magnets to suspend her in mid-air.

Really?

And yeah, it is based on my research as a scratch build rather than altering either the 1/1000 or 1/350 kits. It was researching this model that provided me with details on the port sides of the nacelles and secondary hull...

I did a test using parts cast from the same molds to make my USS Columbia model to see how the parts worked together (and to catch any obvious errors before incorperating them into my Enterprise model).

Fantastic! I can imagine a scale blue screen behind her! and some sweating shirtless stage hands with clap boards like in the behind the scenes pictures. Ok maybe not that second one.

I've been slowly doing just that for the "Roll Out" version - laser cut wood stand to mimic it sitting on the street from the Datin shop pics... Been chatting with Gary Kerr about this version for over a year now. So I have been patiently waiting for the pics to hit so I can do it justice. Even got dry transfers from Karl Tate to make the windows accurately "painted on" looking...

Based on extensive research of the newly restored TOS Enterprise model and also comments from Gary Kerr, I have made a color guide for painting the ship. I did views with shading, and also just color so that the pure colors can be seen. Sometimes lighting/shading tricks you into thinking colors are different than they are.
I didn't include actual paint number callouts because we all use different brands. However, this will give you a good idea where to start from if you are trying to figure out what color everything is.

BE SURE TO RIGHT-CLICK AND "OPEN IMAGE IN NEW TAB" TO SEE IMAGES AT FULL RESOLUTION.

LuZ4zPq.png

JO8AkcG.png

uYeQpxp.png

GnyUzSB.png

mTa7URI.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! I saw these on facebook, nice work! A couple of things I wondered about, while I know it's not a solid copper/red like some of the previous replicas it looks like the red/copper weathered the ring at the back of the deflector housing a bit? Also as I wondered above about the nav lights on the top of the nacelles being lit, I found it noted elsewhere as faux lights so were they ever lit as appearing here? Lastly I wondered about the saucer windows, the graphic shows the other side with the completed details but would the saucer not be mirrored as well as visually the other side was just a flipped shot? Or is the suggestion that that was just the Mirror ship?

Just some curiosities as I am making plans. :)

Just a heads up, they are supposed to issue the kit again without the deep gridlines this year. So totally smooth if you want to draw them on and not have to go through the torture of filling them in. Also they corrected the location of those three lights on the bottom in a row, they were off by one notch.

Although it would be cool to see a 11' replica, built using the same methods and materials, it's a bit beyond most people's reach. However, I've always liked the idea of studio scale elements. For instance, a section of the saucer/C/B/Bridge deck. For the refit, this would be just outside the grid-line next to the phaser emitters. The nacelle domes with accurate lighting and motors, etc.

But one idea I had was to build a full nacelle, and mount it vertically as an art piece/lamp. A short section of the pylon would be attached to a verticle post and floor stand, and you could put it in the corner of a room. There's a shot of Jefferies from the 70's with a nacelle leaning against the wall behind him. Kinda-sorta like that. :)

Really?

Excellent work as always.

:)Spockboy

Just a heads up, they are supposed to issue the kit again without the deep gridlines this year. So totally smooth if you want to draw them on and not have to go through the torture of filling them in. Also they corrected the location of those three lights on the bottom in a row, they were off by one notch.
I thought it was just the smooth saucer , light kit (now in stores), and the pilot conversion kit that R2 was doing not the kit with smooth saucer.

Looks like the lower saucer has gone a little bit wavy toward the middle (the concentric grooves). Or maybe it was always that way.
I also lament a couple of round oopsies on the top of the saucer near the front, and the paint cracks. But I agree that keeping as light a touch as possible on that original surface was important. Once you start patching....

I wonder if anyone ever thought to build up a model as the film model, meaning with the port side lack of detail.

I was thinking about maybe a diorama using the Enterprise/Botany Bay kit, posed like they were for shooting in the stills I've seen, on stands in front of a blue screen. Maybe with a true-to-scale camera.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back