Obi-Wan transistors

I might try tomorrow. I don't have them permanently attached to the clamp yet, so that angle will be little tricky. I've always assumed from this exact picture that the one without the washer is to-5 and the one with the washer is either to-5 if it goes through the washer, or to-39 if it sits on the washer. Although from the other picture I'm pretty convinced it goes through the washer.
But either way, if that's the brand I'm sure sooner or later someone will dig out the exact ones from an old tv or radio or some other piece of gear

Anything side on would be helpful. On a clamp would be ideal for scaling.
As to weather or not it’s through the washer, it’s pretty clear to me from looking at the pics that it’s through the washer. Let’s not forget that there were two washers present on the saber in Tunisia, and one likely fell off, so I would doubt there being two different sized cans with one sitting atop the washer.

packages_compare.JPG

Left to right: TO-5 (Motorola), Marconi DAT11, TO-39

That's positive to see too - I was stuck on operational amplifiers because the TO-5 cans were too tall

If it means anything, I've seen relays in almost identical cans too. whatever the code really is, we've got a lot of hunting to do

That's positive to see too - I was stuck on operational amplifiers because the TO-5 cans were too tall

If it means anything, I've seen relays in almost identical cans too. whatever the code really is, we've got a lot of hunting to do

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 111
Interesting, what are people actually using for accuracy on their builds today if to-5 is considered too tall?
Certainly to-39 is too small to be accurate. I must admit never really looked into this saber before I got a romans replica as a gift few weeks ago and didn't like the included fake transistors and washers. I was actually looking for to-39 when I found the marconis as the romans was setup like that. But later when I checked the available pictures in the forum I realized romans setup is wrong and the cans must be little bigger and go through the washer.

I found this thread very helpful to see different transistors/op amps and washer setups.

Since we're on the topic of another model of transistors (these with 10 pins), I thought it would also be helpful to cover the different methods of attaching transistors/op amps to the Graflex clamp. A great thanks to the following members for posting several tutorials, WIP photos, and assembly methods.

Transistors/op amps with a socket screw.
Courtesy of ATL Kenobi and James Kenobi 1138 for this tutorial:

Courtesy of thd9791 for this tutorial:

Courtesy of The Ninja and Seneca for these WIP photos:
tran mod1.jpgtran mod2.jpgtran mod3.jpgtran mod4.jpgtran mod5.jpg

Transistors/op amps with an electrical wire cap/wire nut courtesy of Edraven99.
dy mod1.jpgdy mod2.JPG

I used the simple method of bending the transistor/op amp pins inside the clamp, similar to a paper fastener or envelope clasp. Originally, these were eight pin op amps. Unfortunately, the clamp opening was too small to accommodate all eight pins plus the white ceramic core. So, I removed four of the eight pins, making sure the four pins that remained were aligned properly at the corners of the clamp opening. The op amps are very secure on the clamp using this method as well, and did not damage or scratch the inside of the clamp whatsoever.
fullsizeoutput_2256.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a bunch of these versions! Struggling to find the ME version and with the different serial number!

Attachments

• 5750DC5B-07A3-4A19-8994-21F00D8D97DD.png
    5750DC5B-07A3-4A19-8994-21F00D8D97DD.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 163
The MA transistors you are looking for:

marconi.jpg

There are more in the series, but I don't think it can be identified from the chronicles picture what exact numbers were on the saber. So for me either will do ... now I just need someone from UK to ship me a pair :)

Exactly :D I don't think we're ever going to know for sure the exact part, but anything with the "MA" would make me happy. I haven't found any specific ones for sale though.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back