No Man's Sky (video game)

So, here's the thing. I think it's really cool to be able to fly around and explore the galaxy, and I love the notion of the resurgence of space combat/flight sims.

That said...I think this is something that is way more appealing as an idea than it will actually end up being in practice. Like, yeah, it'll be thrilling to play initially, but after a short while, even if the environments look different, it will, I suspect, grow stale.

That, however, may be my own approach to these kinds of games. For example, I've literally never beaten an Elder Scrolls game. I inevitably become (A) overwhelmed at the sense of "I have to do it all!" and knowing that I'll never be able to, and (B) it still ends up just feeling kinda...empty to me. Yes, it's a great big world, but the characters just feel like...you know....video game characters with pre-programmed behaviors (and limited ones at that). At this point, I realize that it's just me playing. I don't have any fun companions, I don't have anyone to really interact with who feels, you know, interactive. It's just me, wandering around, talking to NPCs who say the same thing over and over again. I can still enjoy it when I'm doing more involved quests for people, but the life of the lonely explorer...yeah, just not for me. I get bored with it after a little while.

I can't help but wonder if other folks will end up feeling the same way after the wow factor of the graphics and the alleged diversity of the game universe wears off.

So, here's the thing. I think it's really cool to be able to fly around and explore the galaxy, and I love the notion of the resurgence of space combat/flight sims.

That said...I think this is something that is way more appealing as an idea than it will actually end up being in practice. Like, yeah, it'll be thrilling to play initially, but after a short while, even if the environments look different, it will, I suspect, grow stale.

That, however, may be my own approach to these kinds of games. For example, I've literally never beaten an Elder Scrolls game. I inevitably become (A) overwhelmed at the sense of "I have to do it all!" and knowing that I'll never be able to, and (B) it still ends up just feeling kinda...empty to me. Yes, it's a great big world, but the characters just feel like...you know....video game characters with pre-programmed behaviors (and limited ones at that). At this point, I realize that it's just me playing. I don't have any fun companions, I don't have anyone to really interact with who feels, you know, interactive. It's just me, wandering around, talking to NPCs who say the same thing over and over again. I can still enjoy it when I'm doing more involved quests for people, but the life of the lonely explorer...yeah, just not for me. I get bored with it after a little while.

I can't help but wonder if other folks will end up feeling the same way after the wow factor of the graphics and the alleged diversity of the game universe wears off.

:lol I am almost in the same boat. Morrowind is the only I have beaten, after some 250+ hours. Only tested the first two. I put 320+ hours in to Oblivion and over 400 with Skyrim but did not manage to beat them, did finish the main quest but, didn't "finish" either.

The game looks interesting but honestly I'm kinda avoiding games that require social interaction. I have barely put a dent in the last 6 months of destiny stuff as I don't want to deal with other folks. I can't imagine having to deal with someone in this game who might be able to blow up your ship lol The problem I found with the Elder Scroll games is you cant' really always tell where the game really ends, it's not like fallout where you get a pat on the back and then go back fighting.

:lol I am almost in the same boat. Morrowind is the only I have beaten, after some 250+ hours. Only tested the first two. I put 320+ hours in to Oblivion and over 400 with Skyrim but did not manage to beat them, did finish the main quest but, didn't "finish" either.

See, I've never even beaten the main campaigns in any of the games, and I've been playing TES games since Daggerfall. There's so much to do and explore, and I do a ton of it...and then inevitably get bored and wander off.

For me, it has to do with the environments just...not feeling immersive. I feel like I'm the only person wandering around in an enormous amusement park with a ton of rides. After a while, the rides start to feel like variations on a theme, and the NPCs feel like animatronics. The world doesn't really feel "alive" to me. And once I get tired of the rides, it's just lonely and boring. And that's including playing with mods and such.

Plus, to be honest, I've never been that wowed by the graphics in any of them. Partially that's because I never have a next- or sometimes even current-gen setup, so I can't turn on all the bleeding edge bells and whistles, and partially it's because by the time I DO go back and play it with all the bells and whistles turned on (with a new rig)...they just aren't that impressive, really. And their animations and character models have always been a bit weak, in my opinion. Makes for amazing looking screenshots, but looks, well, like animatronics when playing.

wow this game looks HUGE!!! :eek

Yeah, that's kinda my point. Huge for the sake of huge isn't a selling point for me at least. GTAIV was "huge." GTAIV was also overhyped crap, in my opinion. "Huge," to me, often means "We focused on breadth rather than depth, so yeah, it's huge, but everything's pretty surface-level and not that well refined."

The game looks interesting but honestly I'm kinda avoiding games that require social interaction. I have barely put a dent in the last 6 months of destiny stuff as I don't want to deal with other folks. I can't imagine having to deal with someone in this game who might be able to blow up your ship lol The problem I found with the Elder Scroll games is you cant' really always tell where the game really ends, it's not like fallout where you get a pat on the back and then go back fighting.

Does this game require social interaction? My understanding is that the only social interaction is you uploading data to a central registry, and otherwise you literally never see another human player in the game. It's not like, say, EVE.

No man's Sky doesn't require social interaction :D

See, I've never even beaten the main campaigns in any of the games, and I've been playing TES games since Daggerfall. There's so much to do and explore, and I do a ton of it...and then inevitably get bored and wander off.

For me, it has to do with the environments just...not feeling immersive. I feel like I'm the only person wandering around in an enormous amusement park with a ton of rides. After a while, the rides start to feel like variations on a theme, and the NPCs feel like animatronics. The world doesn't really feel "alive" to me. And once I get tired of the rides, it's just lonely and boring. And that's including playing with mods and such.

Plus, to be honest, I've never been that wowed by the graphics in any of them. Partially that's because I never have a next- or sometimes even current-gen setup, so I can't turn on all the bleeding edge bells and whistles, and partially it's because by the time I DO go back and play it with all the bells and whistles turned on (with a new rig)...they just aren't that impressive, really. And their animations and character models have always been a bit weak, in my opinion. Makes for amazing looking screenshots, but looks, well, like animatronics when playing.

Not an opinion, it's a fact. Morrowind when it was released actually looked quite terrible. Best thing about that game graphics-wise was the water fx. In any case, graphics shouldn't nor can't make a game "worth while" if you want.

Totally agree with the "alive" feeling. I really like all the lore and history but actual characters train cars on a rail going from A to B. So once I thought playing this with real people could be a good idea. Still might be, though Elder Scrolls online feels nothing like an Elder Scrolls game. Variation is definitely the key.

The difference with this game, regarding the size is the fact that it's procedural, meaning the computer is the actual creator of weapons, ships, planets etc
Which should mean the developers can focus on the important stuff :)

This is a game I will buy at some point but I really do feel they should have made some concession for groups of friends to meet up and have fun together. I understand everything is procedural which would complicate co-op but I assume they could have written in static bases for people to meet up then depart together to go exploring. I also don't like that we will not be able to customize our ships other than upgrading.

So i got the game and played it for a few hours. I am on the fence. Not sure if I like it or not. It could still go either way for me.

The one complaint I've seen from reviews is that the waypoints they give you to start the game off actually makes it less fun than just doing your own thing and exploring. I was interested but Destiny's pretty much put me off games that involve dealing with others. Edit: Apparently Amazon is having issues as they can't send a physical copy for 2-4 weeks yet gamestop has their copies in stock to send within 24 hours. The game looks good but again I'm burned out on having to deal with other players and open world games with no real ending.

Last edited:
I actually cancelled my pre-order. I'll still pick the game up but at Canada's current $90 gaming costs, I've got a litany of other pre-orders that are going to take precedence over the next couple months. I'll pick it up for $30 or $40 some time down the road.

I just got it today and spent the past 3 hours playing.

The Bad:
Really choppy and low frame rate even though my computer isn't that bad.
Walking seems really slow and it took awhile to find my way around.

The Good:
Game looks amazing when it's running smoothly
Finding animals is pretty fun
It feels like it's a big fun adventure and flying for the first time is super exciting because of the hard work you put into fixing your ship.

It's basically interstellar minecraft meets classic sci-fi.

Everything I've read about this game makes it sound like an absolutely breathtakingly beautiful bore. It's a game that people seem to really want to love, but it's ultimately fairly unfulfilling.

Unless, of course, you just like exploring for the sake of exploring. But the actual gameplay mechanics behind it just sound...really tedious, actually. And the game world sounds even emptier-feeling than Elder Scrolls games.

Apparently anyone giving it bad reviews lately has been getting hit with denial of service attacks, the fanboys are strong with this game. Then again after what they promised i'd hate to realize i got less than what i paid for.

I have experience with games that seem incredibly promising but end up ho-hum.

I played Star Wars Galaxies from one month post-launch until about April, 2004. Now there was a game that promised all sorts of stuff...and sucked.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back