Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been experimenting with el wire to go in place of the red yellow and green leds. I first bought 3.2 mm standard brightness el wire and it looks pretty good. I just got some 2.6 mm ultra bright el wire but haven't had time to mess with it. The picture doesn't really do it justice.

Attachments

• WP_20140925_18_55_30_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140925_18_55_30_Pro.jpg
    820.1 KB · Views: 128
I've been experimenting with el wire to go in place of the red yellow and green leds. I first bought 3.2 mm standard brightness el wire and it looks pretty good. I just got some 2.6 mm ultra bright el wire but haven't had time to mess with it. The picture doesn't really do it justice.

Are those all one piece or separate pieces of EL wire?

You can cut el wire, you just need to cap the ends and the el wire only has to be connected on one end. I'll try to get a pic of the setup when I get home but its just the inverter with a splitter to each el wire.

Fascinating developments! It's surprising that the LEDs are the power hogs, I would have thought the complete opposite since LEDs are supposed to be so energy efficient (relative to incandescent bulbs), and the EL panels are so big and are really the main part of the "show" on the shoes.

I've completed my two pairs and have no intention of doing more, but am really interested to see what comes of these new ideas for the ankle bubble lights.

Hi, i just got a pair of the V2 Mags from a friend for a steal price of $175 shipped with original everything. I was going to get the unbranded version but they sold out super fast and for $60 more, i might as well get the superior version.

So, my main concern for now is the EL Sheets in the soles and strap. Are these conversions easy to do? And can i do them without doing the LED fix on the side? I dont want to mess up and actually reached out to Airair89 on IG yesterday about doing the conversion. Ive wanted these since i was a kid and always thought that they were so cool. Im going to do the toebox slim and lace flattening myself because i have experience in those departments,

I cheated and have a single white LED behind colour filters for that part and no-one has asked why I don't have 12 LEDs there. No one either knows or cares.

Hi,
did you test the VHT vinyl dye on your V2 soles yet?

what does it look like? and does it stick strongly?

You can cut el wire, you just need to cap the ends and the el wire only has to be connected on one end. I'll try to get a pic of the setup when I get home but its just the inverter with a splitter to each el wire.

That is really cool news. Very interested in this now.

Hi,
did you test the VHT vinyl dye on your V2 soles yet?

what does it look like? and does it stick strongly?

No not yet. I will have to brush that on and want to have aqua on hand to redo the splatter.

I do have a light blue pigment that can be added to the clear urethane and will a test in the week.

Mitas: Here's a pic of it out of the shoe. 9v - tiny inverter - splitter - red, yellow, green el wire cut to ~ 1" long. This is just my test setup, looks a little crude right now.

Attachments

• WP_20141003_20_45_02_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141003_20_45_02_Pro.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 143

That looks ace! I actually think that thin strips of solid colour look better than the 'spots' of colour LEDs produce. This is clearly the way forward not only for insane battery life, but also looks and more importantly, reliability. The weak point of anyones Mags has always been the LEDs as they are on the ankle and flex too much. This is definitely a win, glad someones got the time to test this idea out!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, my batteries have finally died. I managed to get 16 hours and 15minutes from the Lighthouse 1100mAh batteries! :cool

Over 7 hours of that with the green LEDs going too, so they will give you an average night out on the town in their fully glory. I still think they're cool with no LEDs on too, I don't think anyone would notice apart from us lot anyway.

Is this 3 separate colours of EL sheet, or just one white one but with coloured filters glued over? I'd imagine it would be more efficient to have perhaps some stage lighting filters over just one solid piece of EL cut to the shape of the LED board size that will fit in the ankle section. Less soldering and hot glue, more space to work with, cheaper, more reliable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7X-LIGHTI...?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item2313ee1422

^ Perhaps grab a few of these and cut to shape, then lay over a small CAD cutout with the 12 LED holes?

It's pretty flexible and seems to be fairly robust. I think it will hold up well in the ankle bubble. I plan to use it instead of leds in the shoes I'm going to wear.

Cool, thanks for that. So are you using sheet EL in the soles/strap or more EL wire?

Cool, thanks for that. So are you using sheet EL in the soles/strap or more EL wire?

Neither, I'll be using some aqua leds in the soles. I plan to wear these often and just don't see the el sheets holding up well. I also won't be doing the lighted Nike logo because I wear my jeans over my shoes, they're a bit baggy and no one wants to see my fast ass squeezed into a pair of skinny jeans lol

I was actually thinking about using EL wire in the sole and strap as well. Basically a 3 way split from the inverter -
1. a run to the soles
2. a run to the ankle
3. a run to the strap.

Using white EL and adding colour filters, this could probably be done as a single run looping around in the strap and again in the soles finishing at the ankle bubble.

Use black heat shrink to block out where I don't want light - ie where it passes through the shoe.

I seem to keep breaking wires at the solder joints (in my left shoe), so looking for something with terminated ends and no soldering needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back