Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DragonGalvy, if it was only the underneath that peeled or wore off, I would not be concerned. However if the peeling extended up onto the side, that would be of a major concern.

So far it hasn't peeled, just rubbed away from walking on concrete and bitumen. Strange, as the same paint bonded much better to the silver V1's I tried it on.
So if I accidentally bumped into something with the side of the shoe, I think it might scratch off, so I'm slowly coating them with a low gloss clear which I know is more durable.
Darn wet Melbourne making everything dry so slow.......Fingers crossed it will stay this time!

Wear and tear is to be expected if you are wearing them.

The splatter paint that comes on the V2 soles is very strong, doesn't chip or peel off, its impossible to take off, and will only come off after repeated cleaning with strong acetone (even then i haven't been able to get it off!), (same paint is used on the nike mag heel lettering).

I'm not sure what exact type of paint they used, but if this paint can be found, then painting over the rubber sole should be no problem.
Just need to find out what the hell they used!

My guess is polyurethane, since a lot of the shoe factories use polyurethane resin paint. The turquoise splatter paint & Mag lettering paint, the white mag lettering paint all have amazing adhesion to the rubber, so obviously it is possible to have hard wearing strong paint.

- - - Updated - - -

DragonGalvy, if it was only the underneath that peeled or wore off, I would not be concerned. However if the peeling extended up onto the side, that would be of a major concern.

So far it hasn't peeled, just rubbed away from walking on concrete and bitumen. Strange, as the same paint bonded much better to the silver V1's I tried it on.
So if I accidentally bumped into something with the side of the shoe, I think it might scratch off, so I'm slowly coating them with a low gloss clear which I know is more durable.
Darn wet Melbourne making everything dry so slow.......Fingers crossed it will stay this time!

I've tried the same thing with pebeo fabric paint. It will dry, but like acrylic paint, it will peel off because it doesn't adhere well to the rubber.

I'm trying to figure out what type of paint has been used on the V2 turquoise splatter and heel lettering. This paint is obviously sticking permanently to the rubber without any adhesion problems. You can scrape them, use a knife and the paint is still stuck on them.

I'm going to try and find out what type of paint this is, because this is the paint required which is permanent and long lasting.

The splatter paint that comes on the V2 soles is very strong, doesn't chip or peel off, its impossible to take off, and will only come off after repeated cleaning with strong acetone (even then i haven't been able to get it off!), (same paint is used on the nike mag heel lettering).

Interesting how the splatter does not come off, yet my MAG lettering came off both shoes just from rubbing on the inside of my jeans when I did not have them rolled up.

Interesting how the splatter does not come off, yet my MAG lettering came off both shoes just from rubbing on the inside of my jeans when I did not have them rolled up.

Yeah, the splatter seems stretchy as well, if you bend the grey soles, the splatter also bends without any issues. Its flexible, and seems to be stuck super strongly to the grey soles.
If only we can find what this paint is!

Yeah, the splatter seems stretchy as well, if you bend the grey soles, the splatter also bends without any issues. Its flexible, and seems to be stuck super strongly to the grey soles.
If only we can find what this paint is!
I might have a go at nail polish tomorrow to re-do the MAG lettering.

I wore these all weekend (when not in a SW costume) at Dreamworld for the Star Wars Invasion. Got some good reactions from several people.

Thought I would share...

Me (MAGs on feet) on the The Giant Drop, Dreamworld.
10253746_10152000698897000_7715612789026561680_n.jpg

And is this ride high? Yes it is :)
10330486_10152000698737000_6866415089396149412_n.jpg

Any of you good people from the UK had any trouble getting them through customs?
mine are on British soil in the International Hub waiting to clear custom.
thoughts??

- - - Updated - - -

Done well Cavx. Don't think I would have the 84ll5 to wear them to a theme park.

Any of you good people from the UK had any trouble getting them through customs?
mine are on British soil in the International Hub waiting to clear custom.
thoughts??

- - - Updated - - -

Done well Cavx. Don't think I would have the 84ll5 to wear them to a theme park.

It's pot luck. Most of the time they should clear customs quickly and you should have them via parcel force without any issues.

There is a chance they may be seized or you could just get a customs and parcelforce charge which is normally £20 or something like that.

It sometimes depends how it's been packaged and labelled by the Chinese seller.

Hopefully you will get them without any issues!

So far I've had 1 seized! Ouch!

they resent it though so all is well.

Yeah to right "ouch". Just checked again and they are still in the Hub. 28 hours and counting so far. Be pretty harsh if the pinch em, it'll be an Anti-climax to a very long wait.
Just out of interest, how many have you ordered?

It's pot luck. Most of the time they should clear customs quickly and you should have them via parcel force without any issues.

There is a chance they may be seized or you could just get a customs and parcelforce charge which is normally £20 or something like that.

It sometimes depends how it's been packaged and labelled by the Chinese seller.

Hopefully you will get them without any issues!

So far I've had 1 seized! Ouch!

they resent it though so all is well.

I wear them to all 501st troops I wrangle at and I will wear them with jeans rolled and tucked in. Once a year, the 501st "invade" Dreamworld, so was pretty cool to be a part of that this year. My TKID is 31138 (I wanted to be one of a select few that will have the number 1138 in their ID).

What is interesting though is the V1s stripped back to a flat sole 2 years ago at the same park for less than the wear time of these V2s on this weekend and these shoes are just starting to show sole wear now. The theme park is mostly bitumen which pretty harsh on most footwear and these shoes seem to be holding up well.

Nice, the V1s definitely had a softer, more comfortable midsole but the rubber grip was less deep as well as softer (the depth of the rubber pattern would also contribute to wearing down). I'd wear them to Dreamworld too if I could get there!

cool. I should have tried that pyramid mat for my black and yellow v1's when they wore down!
Next time. I've still got some spare. I'd used it to repair some old Reeboks, but it's a very low-density rubber, just like the V1 soles or maybe even softer.

Did you mention in an earlier post which I may have missed how you got the outrigger sole to do that, i wonder if a vaguely doorstop-shaped wedge of clear rubber or something could work for a more gradual outrigger look?

(Edit: just found it, page 150)

I might try doing something like that when I get the time and one pair or another of mine wears down more.

Last edited:
cool. I should have tried that pyramid mat for my black and yellow v1's when they wore down!

The mat is not for tread for walking, rather a new tread for my clear sole cast.

Tonight I had my first play with the Pinkisyl Putty. Not a 100% result, but not too bad for a starter.

10264296_10152395545868841_8363507076489631222_n.jpg

10255451_10152395548638841_8994085093720120160_n.jpg

10345750_10152395549513841_5608853403430362970_n.jpg

I think my mistake here was biting off more than I could chew. I am currently letting a 2nd batch set up now, but rather than try to catch the whole sole in one peice, I am doing just the two inner side parts, than will do the two outrigger parts. The base is easy because I can just use the pyramid mat cutouts that are hot glued to the soles of my MAGs for those parts.

I am hoping to get a slightly better imprint and then I will use some cheap casting resin to make solid parts that I can join to the pyramid mat to make the master soles.

Brad is giving out free Air Mags I heard?..........How do I get in line? I will take a custom Hello Kitty pair

-TheCrossCustoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back