Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Nike Mag V2 mod discussion and builds

nice job with the stickers Robert! if your selling any let me know please as i use a sharpie pen to make sure my blacks are super dark and not visible without a magnifying glass, your way would save me a lot of time lol!

right so here's my shopping list for a 9v setup:-

V2 MAGS – Free shipping by ems air mag glow in the dark back to the future mags limited edition shoes-in Basketball Shoes from Shoes on Aliexpress.com THESE ARE THE MOST TRUST WORTHY SELLER AT THE CHEAPEST PRICE I KNOW OF BUT IF ANYONE CAN CORRECT ME THAT WOULD BE GREAT £160 ($239)

2 X INVERTER – CL-IPTC-9v-3-7FT ($12.50 for two inverters + $47.75shipping) total £41

2 X EL PANEL – 5"x6" EL Panel Sheet Pad Back Light Display Backlight G | eBay £26

GREEN, YELLOW AND RED LEDS – 12 Volt LED ($1.40 for 5 of each colour)

2 X 750MAH BATTS C/W CHARGER – 2pcs New 9V Li-ion Rechargeable battery 750mAh + 1 Smart Charger with adapter | eBay £18.52

4 x 9V CONNECTORS, 2 FOR CHARGER AND 2 FOR BATTERY IN SHOE - 05176 5x PP3 MN1604 9V Battery Clip Holder Snap Connectors Cable Lead 110mm | eBay £1.50

2 X TORCH SWITCHES – 5 Pcs
2 Pin Terminals On Off Push Button Torch Switch White AC 250V 1.5A | eBay
£1.98

2 X DC JACKS – 10pcs DC Power supply Jack socket 3.5 X 1 mm | eBay £2.69

2 X DC PLUGS – DC 5.5x2.1mm to 3.5x1.35mm Famele/Male Power Plug Cable | eBay £2.44

**THIS IS OPTIONAL** ANKLE BUCKLES TO HOUSE DC JACK - Cloneprops Store by cloneprops on Shapeways
ALTHOUGH IF YOU DON'T WANT THESE USE A KNIFE/DREMMEL TO REMOVE A SPACE IN THE V2 BUCKLE FOR THE PC JACK euro52.33 (£45)

So for the shoes and all of the above (inc shipping costs from suppliers to the U.K for buckles and inverters is basically a total of £300.

ON TOP OF THAT YOU NEED TAMIYA WHITE PRIMER FOR BUCKLES, LOCTITE GLUE (LIQUID AND GEL) COPPER WIRE, SOLDERING WIRE, GLUE STICKS, HEAT SHRINK, LAMINATED WINDOW SIGNAGE STICKERS FOR N1KE LOGO.
YOU NEED A GLUE GUN, SOLDERING IRON, HOUSE IRON, HAIRDRYER, EXACTO KNIFE, BUTTER KNIFE, PLIERS AND SCISSORS.

TO frost the LED bubbles you can use what I used if you want or a matte finish (both work the same)
http://bit.ly/QFq8Nc

Brad- if you can link your 9v inverters that you use or clarify that these are the ones you use that would be great as i'm pretty sure you have sourced the best ones so far in regards to dims.

If I have missed anything please let me know or correct any components that can be superseded by a better part (cheaper, smaller dims ect ect)
Your feedback would be great, Thanks!!

PS – sorry for the caps just thought it would be clearer :p

Hey man! What kind of loctite are you using after you install the EL sheets in the sole? and then which type are you using to stick the heel cup back on after the LED installation?

Thanks for helping guys!

Stuart

Did you guys see this RD MAG custom?...Both customs that have been done on these look like crap!

CustomMags.png

Did you guys see this RD MAG custom?...Both customs that have been done on these look like crap!

I like the black, not sure about the gold. Still no way to treat a limited run item like these shoes.

So does that mean there are now only 1508 real pairs left?

Hmmm.... the gold doesn't quite work.
Taff83 is working on a black and red custom pair which looks way better colour-scheme wise.
Of course if someone like cloneprops could work with someone who could mass-produce, there could be an infinite variety of colours for the replicas, like all the colour combo's of the 'air max 90'....... mmm droool...... unlimited colourways of nike MAGs....

having done several strap modifications, i think the ones that come with the shoe are just rubbish.
they are too stiff and hard, and the mass of velcro makes things worse!

i think its better to just get leather and create the strap from scratch, it will be thinner and more flexible.
im not sure what the standard v2 straps are made off, but seem to be a vinyl type stuck to some other backing, making it too thick and stiff.

The RD straps are much softer in comparison as they only use plain leather.

These v2 ones are a bit too bulky.

Now on to my V2 pair which i screwed up! im having to create new uppers for those from scratch!

having done several strap modifications, i think the ones that come with the shoe are just rubbish.
they are too stiff and hard, and the mass of velcro makes things worse!

These v2 ones are a bit too bulky.

I completely disagree. I have made both kinds of straps and in my opinion, the stiffer the strap the better. The reason is that the stiffer strap keeps the top collar of the shoe upright more than a thinner leather one AND, the EL inside has less of a chance to move around when the strap is pulled tight. I just replaced my custom leather straps with the original straps and they look and wear much more accurate.

I think the RD straps are formed to be bent, so that's why they can still be soft while holding that shape.

Now on to my V2 pair which i screwed up! im having to create new uppers for those from scratch!

This could be your chance to be the first person to make a movie accurate pair. And since you're making the uppers from scratch, the electronics won't be such a hassle to install.

Here is a link to get the same kind of foam they used in the movie. You can enter any thickness you want. I suggest 1/8 inch or 0.3175 cm.
http://www.foamorder.com/upholstery-foam.php?prices

Last edited:
I completely disagree. I have made both kinds of straps and in my opinion, the stiffer the strap the better. The reason is that the stiffer strap keeps the top collar of the shoe upright more than a thinner leather one AND, the EL inside has less of a chance to move around when the strap is pulled tight. I just replaced my custom leather straps with the original straps and they look and wear much more accurate.
I don't know. I find it a bit too thick. I've done 5 pairs with them so I'm trying now with leather and some thin backing. The actual movie shoes were thin leather straps and they are the ones I'd rather emulate than some Chinese replica makers suggestion.

The uppers on the v2 are totally innacurate and are not lined up correctly towards the heel cup. That's why they still have the mark poon look. They are also way too short in height. So I'll try work out a template that's more accurate.

Last edited:
And that's why they've made such a thick strap. If the uppers are made correctly then there's no need for so much Velcro and a thick strap. I might try and make some straps with soft backing which are still slightly stiff.

Here are the best pictures of the original movie shoes that I could find to help you.
SC%20Air%20Mag%201.jpg

SC%20Air%20Mag%202.jpg

SC%20Air%20Mag%203.jpg

SC%20Air%20Mag%204.jpg

Another up side to making custom uppers is that you can reshape the heel cup to be more accurate. The V2 heel cups extend too far out. If you cut the cups while keeping the V2 upper, then there will be glue spots. Not a problem with newly made uppers.

Last edited:
Ok, so Robert has the problem of the green LEDs being the dimmest out of the three colors, so I used my 12v LEDs to replace the red and yellow and kept the original green ones. Now they are all the same brightness as the green. Yellow is a tad bit dimmer, but that's ok. I ordered more of the LEDs that Robert used so I'll experiment and see if the yellow LEDs that he used are better than the 12v.

I also figured out that if the yellow and red LEDs are too bright, then it makes the whole ankle bubble orange and overpowers the green.

To be honest I'm thinking of not even using LEDs on next pair and just going with el cutouts overlaid with transparent sheet. Would save lots of battery power! Might be a good experiment to do. LEDs suck so much power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back