New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit

OK - I think this has been mentioned before but I'll re-mention it with apologies if it offends anyone...

This version of the SD seems to be a Rogue one blending of the 2 SD's we know and love - the 3 footer and the 8 footer. and this is just my opinion so don't shoot me here... I think we need a LOT more reference of the Rogue one SD before we declare anything on this model to be out of proportion or inaccurate. The few shots I've seen were at odd angles that make direct comparisons difficult or had heavy shadows.

Long and short this blended version is effectively SD version 3 that this kit may be accurate(ish) to... Lets face it we'll always find "something" to "correct" :D

So while I love the discussion I would advise patience until we have enough data on the new SD to make a detailed comparison to versions 1 and 2, and the model as delivered.to know all the differences. Waiting while difficult will save a lot of brain cycles "fixing" things that may not really need to be "fixed". I hope that was kinda clear :)

Jedi Dade

No Harm I.

The Rogue One SD is mostly the 3 footer with elements like lighting added. If you look at the attached grab, from the Korean trailer, you can even make out the larger guns along the superstructure of the 3 footer:

RogueOneSD.png

Yes, the Rogue One SS is the 4ft/ANH/Devastator model with added lights. The two new kits from Revell and Zvezda are clearly based on the 8ft/TESB/Avenger model, regardless how the packaging is labeled.

0p.mov_snapshot_00.44_2016.04.08_15.09_zpssgddwc6u.jpg

All of that is why I say that the Rogue one Sd is a blend of the other 2 - and we need to takea close hard look at the Rogue one model reference before we declare anything accurate or not... my strong suspicion is that the zveda (and revell) are based on the rogue one model and that its not accurate to either of the first 2 models except where the rogue one blending has occurred. I hope that made sense :)

Jedi Dade

Holy hand grenades! That's it. That's the star destroyer kit we've been drooling for. The only thing better (for me) is if it were the original ANH version. Otherwise, it's a thing of beauty! We'll need to scratch the garbage dump port, but it's a worthwhile omission for getting a styrene 2-footer. Need to start collecting fiber optics and making a lighting plan...

I like the internal bracing. The superstructure assembly means square walls all around. I was hoping they wouldn't all be separate fiddly pieces to assemble. The façade on an existing wall means more to drill thru to run fiber, but that's no biggie.

Holy hand grenades! That's it. That's the star destroyer kit we've been drooling for. The only thing better (for me) is if it were the original ANH version. Otherwise, it's a thing of beauty! We'll need to scratch the garbage dump port, but it's a worthwhile omission for getting a styrene 2-footer. Need to start collecting fiber optics and making a lighting plan...
Yeah the garbage dump is kind of a strange omission considering it was a focal point in ESB. At least the whole back of the neck is a separate piece to make scratching it simple or making it easier for after-marketers. ;)

I hope this won't be too hard to get. Are they still shooting for Dec?

Chris

Easiest scratch detail ever. For most of us, it will take 15 minutes to add. View attachment 683529

You know, looking at that shot, I didn't realize that Zvezda has kinda donked up the detail back there - the chute is too low on their kit, the cylinder details on the outer edges are too high, and the the greeblies below the chute are rather compressed. Might need a bit of love back there.

Oh, no doubt. It's not a perfect match by any stretch -- and you know Bandai would've nailed this -- but it's a better platform to add and revise details that even the Revell (and the Revell is a big step up from the old AMT). I really wish we had a crystal ball to know whether Bandai is even contemplating making their own version. Until they do, the Z-SD looks like it's king of the space hill.

Actually, now I don't know. I was looking at the assembly pic when I typed that because it's the clearest view of that part, but if you then look at the assembled rearview pic at the end of the manual it looks fine - slightly under-detailed, but everything lines up right where it should in terms of gross geometry. We'll know...hopefully...soon enough, but regardless I think it's a tragi-comic commentary on just how poor the official offerings have been for 40 years on this ship that we're obsessing over every scrap of information that leaks out :lol

The fit of the parts looks excellent. I like how they did the two globes so we have individual vertical supports instead of a glob or flat PE. The hex shaped base should be an easy fix with Plastruct tubing.
The neck will have to be modified as the bridge face is parallel to the trench instead of the superstructure. Again, should be an easy fix.

Someone posted on another forum that a shop has it listed as coming soon for 90 Euro. So it looks like the price point is still holding true.

Zvezda also replied to someone's question on their FB page about doing other SW models. Their reply was basically lets wait and see how successful this kit is.

I'm not quite sure Zvezda knows exactly what they are getting ready to unleash on the sci-fi modeling world, that or they are just being coy about it!

I'm not quite sure Zvezda knows exactly what they are getting ready to unleash on the sci-fi modeling world, that or they are just being coy about it!

Leading off their offerings with THIS subject as opposed to something like another Falcon or XW? I'm thinking they know EXACTLY what they're jumping into :)

Plus, I can't believe they paid for a license to only do ONE model. But then again, it's Russia, have no idea how licensing works over there.

I'm really curious how the kit is accepted there. I have no idea how many SW fans are in Russia who could support this endeavour. However, I am sure that WHEN (yep, I say "WHEN" and NOT "IF" ;) ) Revell is putting up their re-boxed version this one is skyrocketing!!! :)

I'm really curious how the kit is accepted there. I have no idea how many SW fans are in Russia who could support this endeavour. However, I am sure that WHEN (yep, I say "WHEN" and NOT "IF" ;) ) Revell is putting up their re-boxed version this one is skyrocketing!!! :)

... but it's a shame that Revell will again profit from the effort of another company which does what Revell is not willing to do itself: producing models instead of toys. This way, they will never change their policy. Have you seen their release list for 2017? Almost exclusively reboxed kits, either from ancient times, or from other companies.

I'll get the original Zvezda release, if somehow possible...

Revell and Revell of Germany are pretty much two different companies from what I understand. Giving to RoG is not such a bad thing as they have done a lot more with sci fi than Revell USA. But that also means waiting until April at least to get it. I'm not waiting that long. As soon as I know it's out in Russia, I'll be tracking one down.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back