New Voyagers Omni

replicaprops

Official Licensee
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I built a omni replica back in 2003, and have since passed that project on to a fellow board member.
He and I collaborated on redesigning the omni to be more screen accurate, but that project never really worked due to the limitations of the software.
I recently started using different software to try and design the perfect omni, then 3d print it in brass.
This weekend I started from scratch again, and got the basics done in cad.

Hopefully this will be the omni I always wanted.
Any way here are some shots of the beginnings of the model.

omni render1.jpgomni render2.jpgomni assembly3.jpg
omni assembly4.jpgomni assembly5.jpgomni assembly2.jpg

So, ill post more renders as I progress.

OMG!!! This project is my dream come true!!!! We NEED to keep this thing going!!!! I'll be at the forefront of this project with you guys!! That was me who also reposted the Omni thread a few days ago!! LOL My ultimate dream prop of all time since I was 6 years old in 1982-83. :)

Oh and we need to even have the dials line up to have the red V for Voyagers like the original TV prop!! We have to find a way to do that.

OH and please NO sound chips...... just the flashing red light and steady green light just like the original prop!

Last edited:
boggomni-pilot.jpg

Here is a good picture of the red V lined up on the dials!! Click on picture for close clear image.

Yup, thats my plan. I have all the drawings, just gotta build it up in the software.
Ive built lots of omni's (about 75 of them) So I have a pretty good idea how to make this new one work.

After all these years, and I never knew that thing had a clear dome over the globe! I was just thinking how awesome it would be to have an omni show up in our Doctor Who fan movie!

You know I always noticed there is a black switch or groove or something on the left side of the actual omni prop. I was wondering is that the switch for the red light and green light??

Oh man... do a run.

I can't remember anything about that show BUT the omni. I loved it as a kid, and my brother loved as well.

Seriously, now that Shapeways offers polished brass, there may be very little work to do on it. I'll tell you what, just put the cover up on Shapeways as a seperate item and I'll buy it and show pics to see if it works out or not with the polished brass. Just make it thick enough to be accurate and thin enough not to be too cost prohibitive!

You know I always noticed there is a black switch or groove or something on the left side of the actual omni prop. I was wondering is that the switch for the red light and green light??
Yes, that was to control the lights

How many versions were there? It was on for what 20 episodes? :lol
These are the 2 versions that were used
omni.jpgOmniGreen.jpg
Then there was the exploded view from the Edison episode
WorldsApart-57.jpg
Seriously, now that Shapeways offers polished brass, there may be very little work to do on it. I'll tell you what, just put the cover up on Shapeways as a seperate item and I'll buy it and show pics to see if it works out or not with the polished brass. Just make it thick enough to be accurate and thin enough not to be too cost prohibitive!
I plan on making it shapeways compatible. I will put the individual parts on shapeways after I have the entire 3d model made.

Which version will you be making?? I love both. Also can you make the switch for the lights on the left side also?? And can the omni brass finish be dull like how it was in the TV series?

Which version will you be making?? I love both. Also can you make the switch for the lights on the left side also?? And can the omni brass finish be dull like how it was in the TV series?
Since I am making it with 3d printing, I can do all of them. You can select the parts you want.

Oh wow That going to be excellent!! To be able to choose! would we be able to get the dull finish and the switch for the lights on the left side?

Oh wow That going to be excellent!! To be able to choose! would we be able to get the dull finish and the switch for the lights on the left side?
Sure, I can make it with all those options.

- - - Updated - - -

Working on the dials. I think I am going to cut the thickness of the dials in half. It just does not look right. But the diameter of the dials is accurate.
omni assembly6.jpgomni assembly7.jpg

The minimum thickness shapeways prints in polished brass is 0.8mm
So no matter what, I cant go smaller than that number.

So this is what the dials looks like at 0.8mm thick.
What does everyone think of the overall appearance at that thickness? I think it looks good.
I can go thinner if I want to, I just need to sink them each inside each other.
omni assembly8.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back