New QMX Phaser from Star Trek Into Darkness

I think this release was kind of a low rent version of their original release. They changed the paint scheme slightly and removed the chrome and added the rotating barrel. I think they are planning a Into Darkness release later next year tat will be more screen accurate as there were changes to the prop not reflected in this one. And it will have a actuator to rotate the barrel. Maybe sound and lights? Here are two quick pics. The first is the Into Darkness Amazon release, the second the ST '09 Stunt phaser.

I'll let Kenney of KCP Studios confirm, but there will be no sounds for the 2014 release of the "Hero" Into Darkness Phaser. It will be built exactly as the movie "Hero" phasers were, with servos and lights.

Last edited:
Well if anybody wants to trade a static 2009 phaser for an Into Darkness with rotating barrel, hit me up.

I have the 09 version and very happy with it as a prop to carry for cosplay. I thought about getting this but I would have loved to have seen it have an automatic flip action with lights/sounds.

When you guys say "warping" - what areas/issues do you mean?

Thanks!

I don't know about anyone else, but the kill and stun barrels don't line up on mine. they both warp toward one side, so when one is aligned straight, the other kind of points about 10 degrees off center. It's very annoying, and I feel like I SHOULD return it, but is Amazon going to honor returns for issues like this?

And I agree that this one looks a bit cheap compared to the original version. The paintjob is heavy, and as mentioned earlier, it obscures the text that was clearly visible on the first release. I know a lot of us were complaining about the chromeness of the '09 prop, but when placed next to each other, the Into Darkness paintjob (on this prop) looks very bland. I'm going to be on line when Kenney's goes up for sale (hopefully with a payment plan option, since I'm sure it will be a pretty penny).

From QMXonline.com
our replica is spring-loaded with an active locking mechanism that snaps the spinner neatly in place.

Does the new QMX Amazon release phaser have the spring-loaded mechanism?

Last edited:
Wow, the barrels are glued on out of alignment. QMx has the best quality control/blind factory workers ever.

From QMXonline.com

Does the new QMX Amazon release phaser have the spring-loaded mechanism?

It is spring loaded, but LOCK in place is loosly stated. It doesn't spin freely, and does kind of rock into a position, but has a LOT of play in the lock. So you can adjust it and line it up if it doesn't spin and fall in line.

I don't know about anyone else, but the kill and stun barrels don't line up on mine. they both warp toward one side, so when one is aligned straight, the other kind of points about 10 degrees off center. It's very annoying, and I feel like I SHOULD return it, but is Amazon going to honor returns for issues like this?

Amazon will definitely accept returns for a defective item like that. Just contact customer service, report your problem, and they should give you the details on returning it.

Yep, that is how mine works. You have to push it with your finger and a spring will catch and pull it around.

I must have lucked out, mine is very nice. :)

Sorry to hear about everyone's bad luck

Seems were the only two that are happy with their Phasers from Amazon.
Kind of sad for Amazon.
They didn't far too well with the Marvel Phase 1 shipping issues and now their ST exclusive seems to have QC problems.

Mine is in good shape. There are a number of small imperfections such as the bottom blade that the emitter spins over is out of alignment so looking into the barrel of the emitter it is canted about 5 degrees from vertical. The emitter spins manually and does catch on the magnets though it will not snap exactly into the same true position each time, it can be shifted to be in alignment and will stay that way. The casting is decent and there are minor mold flaws, slight ripples in the top side left and along the right hand flat side of the grip, a couple three bubbles in the grooves of the vertical radiators at the back. I could easily catalog more minor details, but over all it looks and feels pretty good and displays well. I'd say, for the price, it seems to be a pretty nice prop and I am happy to have it.

A good modeler could preen this puppy up and make it exemplary, sure, and like any artist, find even more flaws to fix and fuss over.

Oh the text that I saw on the sides: 'PLJ 0824-110966' 'UFP PH T-1' and 'T1 BATT ONLY. R/B' and on both sides on top of the bottom blade that holds the spinning emitter is less clear raised lettering 'WARNING KEEP THIS AREA CLEAR'.

Mine is in good shape. There are a number of small imperfections such as the bottom blade that the emitter spins over is out of alignment so looking into the barrel of the emitter it is canted about 5 degrees from vertical. The emitter spins manually and does catch on the magnets though it will not snap exactly into the same true position each time, it can be shifted to be in alignment and will stay that way. The casting is decent and there are minor mold flaws, slight ripples in the top side left and along the right hand flat side of the grip, a couple three bubbles in the grooves of the vertical radiators at the back. I could easily catalog more minor details, but over all it looks and feels pretty good and displays well. I'd say, for the price, it seems to be a pretty nice prop and I am happy to have it.

A good modeler could preen this puppy up and make it exemplary, sure, and like any artist, find even more flaws to fix and fuss over.

Oh the text that I saw on the sides: 'PLJ 0824-110966' 'UFP PH T-1' and 'T1 BATT ONLY. R/B' and on both sides on top of the bottom blade that holds the spinning emitter is less clear raised lettering 'WARNING KEEP THIS AREA CLEAR'.

Mine is pretty much like yours, where the bottom blade is off center. Otherwise, everything else is in decent shape.

Got my phaser today, and it's warped like some of you have mentioned. I called Amazon and they're sending me a new one and it should be here by Saturday. I just hope that one isn't worse than this one.

I wasn't expecting all that much from this one (being that it's a DVD bonus) but it's actually pretty cool. No warping at all and the barrel swivel works just fine. A bit of detail lost with the paint and my voice activated pew-pew feature is not working at all :p

They're sending you a new one, or you're exchanging the one you got?

Got my phaser today, and it's warped like some of you have mentioned. I called Amazon and they're sending me a new one and it should be here by Saturday. I just hope that one isn't worse than this one.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back