New Flash trailer

I’m 1/1 this week. Indy… winner. Flash… loser.

I wanted to see this before it left the theaters. As it was, it’s been demoted to the smallest screen and there were only 4 people there including my wife and me. The trailers were better than the film. There were some chuckle worthy interactions between the Barry’s. The CGI was terrible. Supergirl was just OK. I would have to say Keaton was the best part of the movie. It felt so long we didn’t stay (or care about) for the post credits. It was a promising premise but poorly executed.

EDIT:

I did let out a single loud HA when Clooney showed up as Bruce Wayne at the end.

Last edited:
While I did enjoy… quite a bit. I watched Across the Spiderverse the next day and suddenly The Flash seemed… lazy… cheap?

I’ll never take back how I felt watching a movie in the moment, cuz I was audibly laughing in the theater and had a great time… but I saw Across the Spiderverse a second time the next day and have no interest in checking out the Flash again…

Well maybe a little when I think about it… but I feel if I walked to the theater I’d just end up at guardians or spiderverse again.

Watched it last weekend, all in all I liked it, it was story wise one of the most entertaining comic book movie I saw recently. People find Ezra Flash annoying, but you really get that it was what was expected of him (and he does it a little too well), given the contrast between the two Barry’s.
My only serious gripe is really the CGI. It did look like PS4 cut scene graphics for real.
I don’t think it’s flopping because of that, or the story though, I think DC reboot is just killing all these legacy movies. There won’t be a sequel, no more Affleck, no more Gadot; or Momoa, so what’s the point? I won’t go see Aquaman in theaters neither for that reason.

I enjoyed it a lot, especially Supergirl, which I wasn't expecting, but watching it at home, I was very aware of the wonky CG. Here's the thing I noticed though...

To me, the CG was only that rubbery, video game quality when Barry was in the Speed Force, & it seemed like a conscious choice. I know that's what Muschetti said, & folks just said he was making excuses for crappy graphics, but why I felt it was true was the scene where Barry's dad tells him to call 911. They had just shown that scene, as filmed with the actors, but then less than 5 minutes later, Barry sees the event while in the Speed Force, & instead of just reshowing the filmed scene, it was recreated with the plastic looking CG. So if was established the first time we see things from Barry's POV in there, then I can forgive it later when he sees the other 'verses with the alternate histories.

Did anyone else see it this way, or was it just me?

Just rewatched and enjoyed as much

And yeah that’s how I saw it. And I do believe it was a conscious choice, but more because it gave them some room with the so so CGi renderings of dead people as well.

I actually sat through the Flash. Can't stand Ezra Miller what so ever. His voice is fingernails on a chalkboard and his flash character is beyond anything I could deal with in a theater setting where I wasn't able to pause and walk away for a period. That being said, I hate to say it but i think I get it. DC made a movie for a demographic with slatherings of side dishes for other demographics. From the outside looking in, this movie would never have been made at any other point in entertainment history. I even get the low grade cgi. It's a super hero movie not a marvel movie.

All that being said the Keaton Batman batcave stuff was out of place. It's the only place that was dark and moody, even the cinematography changed. Do one or the other, not a blink and where am I change in the look of a film.

The dialog was terrible in way too many places. Lines seem to have been imagined and worked into the script that just don't fit. Scenes that drag out far too long that could have been better suited to move things along. One that stands out the most is the roommates. Combine that with the learns to use powers immediately apartment stuff, change it to we need a ride to Wayne manner, and all that takes place sourcing the ride, the ride itself and how the Barry's would have to walk the remainder of the way to Wayne manner due to all that's happened with learning the powers on the trip would have made for some decent viewing. Instead it's bad movie making and then instantly arrive at next location.

Many of the actors seemed to be amazed they were in a movie. Lots of wide eyed smiles all around. It's as if inspiration was taken by background extras with no interest in building a character for almost everyone minus Miller and Keaton and Calle (super girl). As much as I can't stand Ezra Miller he did a great job at making me dislike him even more. Good job on his part. Not kidding.

Just as I said with dial of destiny, those that allowed a films budget to top litteral astronomical proportions should be held accountable. Instead those people are awarded huge paychecks and easy ways out.

I didn't enjoy the movie but in a way, as stated, I seem to have understood it. Had the movie been more grounded all around with a different lead would have made it an entirely different movie targeted to a single demographic. I'll also mention when I say demographic I mean age group.

It is completely dead. It is making less than $5k a day now. One of the biggest failures in the history of recent cinema.

I finally saw this now that it hit MAX.

I thought it was pretty ho-hum, honestly.

Seeing Keaton as Batman was kinda fun, but he's really not used very much. Seeing Supergirl was kinda fun, but she's also really not used very much.

For a movie that was 2.5 hours long, it also felt like...not a lot happened? I dunno. A bunch of that may be because the film spent a decent chunk of time focusing on stuff we'd already seen in Man of Steel, which seemed to be a weird moment to focus on. I get that they wanted a big threat that had happened in the past, but one they could do a new gloss on, but still, it just seemed...I dunno. Hollow.

Ezra Miller was the worst part of the film, and I'd have said that even aside from all the controversy that surrounds them. Like, honestly, they just...aren't that great.

I find the whole Miller approach to Barry Allen -- in both the writing and acting -- to be very...off. Like, it just doesn't fit. It's not interesting to watch. It's just annoying. They even lampshade it in the film, and it still doesn't help.

I felt similarly to Miller's portrayal of Trashcan Man in the 2020 version of The Stand. I don't get why they keep getting roles.

For the DCEU, the film opens up some interesting possibilities, but more in the sense of "And now we can leave behind this version of the DCEU and focus on some other continuity if we're going to bother trying to link these movies together." Like, Aquaman 2 doesn't have to have anything to do with this version of things, and now we have a reason for it.

Honestly, I think Grant Gustin was a way better Barry Allen, even after his show went completely off the rails. The character was written better, and Barry as a person was so much more appealing, and I thought Gustin brought a ton more humanity to the role. Miller just seemed...weird. Off-putting.

I'm glad I didn't pay anything other than my subscription fee for this. I finished it up and thought, "Eh. That was fine, I guess. Nothing special." And that's about where I am on it. Fine. Nothing special. Some really fun moments, and a whole lot of other stuff that was just meh.

Ezra Miller was the worst part of the film, and I'd have said that even aside from all the controversy that surrounds them. Like, honestly, they just...aren't that great.

I find the whole Miller approach to Barry Allen -- in both the writing and acting -- to be very...off. Like, it just doesn't fit. It's not interesting to watch. It's just annoying. They even lampshade it in the film, and it still doesn't help.

I felt similarly to Miller's portrayal of Trashcan Man in the 2020 version of The Stand. I don't get why they keep getting roles.

The Ezra Miller situation is revealing. This guy checks off every box that a studio wants in a new leading star except what ges the job done.

He's a young upcoming actor. His androgyous style is trendy & memorable. His pronoun game is on-point.

The only missing parts are screen charisma, likability, and box office draw.

I know, I'm not respecting EM's pronoun choices.
That's not meant to be a broader statement on the concept. I'm just lazy and I don't respect EM in general.

Last edited:
People need to earn respect and most of these gender-jockeys haven't done so. For my trans friends, I'll use their preferred pronouns. That's it.

The Ezra Miller situation is revealing. This guy checks off every box that a studio wants in a new leading star except what ges the job done.

He's a young upcoming actor. His androgyous style is trendy & memorable. His pronoun game is on-point.

The only missing parts are screen charisma, likability, and box office draw.

I know, I'm not respecting EM's pronoun choices.
That's not meant to be a broader statement on the concept. I'm just lazy and I don't respect EM in general.

People need to earn respect and most of these gender-jockeys haven't done so. For my trans friends, I'll use their preferred pronouns. That's it.
My issue with Miller has nothing to do with their gender identity, and has everything to do with just how grating their portrayal of Barry Allen was, which reminded me quite a bit of their portrayal of Trashcan Man. Obviously, the performances were different, but there's a kind of frenetic quality to their acting style that didn't fit either character.

Trashcan Man is meant to be insane, sure, and mentally damaged by decades of abuse, but there's more to the character than doing a Bobcat Goldthwaite impression.

Barry Allen -- especially younger Barry in this film -- had a similar quality to him, which makes me wonder if it's just Miller's own personality bleeding thru. I haven't followed their controversies especially closely other than news headlines that pop up, but I definitely saw a lot more overlap in the characters than I'd have wanted. Personally, I wasn't a fan of Allen's character in the JLA movie, either -- the weird, geeky, awkward guy who, in the vastly inferior Wheedon version, falls on top of Wonder Woman and who, in the Snyder version, is still just an awkward weirdo.

This film steered even more into the "awkward weirdo" angle, and I found it pretty off-putting.

I have no idea how or why Miller was cast. My assumption is that the original conception for the character was "Find us an awkward weirdo who can also do some emoting," and Miller gave a good audition. I mean, if that's what you want, Miller is a great choice (if not for the attendant controversies). It's just...not remotely what I think Barry Allen ought to be. Like...at all.

I could see being slightly awkward as a result of being single-minded about exonerating his dad, but not to this degree. This was more like "Had underlying personality issues/possible disorders entirely separate from his mother's untimely death and the impact it had on his life."

I doubt the studios paid any attention to Miller being non-binary. I don't think it was a factor. I think they saw an actor whose star was on the rise coming off of the Harry Potter prequels, who they could get for the right price, and who fit the bill for their "We want an awkward nerdy type, but someone who can also emote from time to time" casting call or whatever.

I have nothing against his gender identity, I think he's just an *******. His criminal troubles prove it. Now granted, he hasn't made a fuss to force everyone to call him whatever he wants to be called and I wouldn't care if he did. Freedom of speech and all that. That's all I know about him and that's all I care to know. I don't even know that the whole non-binary thing was public knowledge back when he was cast.

EM got the roles several years ago before he spent all that time at the gym developing his creep/criminal muscles.

My guess - those producers saw his weirdness and imagined a young Johnny Depp-ish vibe.

But Depp's weirdness comes off as lovable/cute. He seems aware that a little of that goes a long way. And he sometimes offsets it with the Jack-Sparrow-rockstar twinkle in his eye. EM's weirdness isn't landing the same way. That may have been hard to judge based on meeting him in person vs how it comes across in a film. I dunno. I wasn't there.

There's a rule-of-thumb with casting: You can cast an actor who shows a lot of extremity (scenery-chewing, angry, zany, sexiness, etc) and make them tone it down a notch. But that doesn't work the other way. If the actor's top extremity isn't far enough in the audition then they probably don't have a higher gear to give you. Jim Carrey or Adam Sandler can tone a scene down & play it serious, but don't ask Cary Elwes or Hugh Grant to chew the scenery like Carrey/Sander.

As for Ezra's gender status & getting roles - If the role was Thor or Superman then I doubt the studios would treat it like an asset. (It might make them reluctant if anything.) But for "weird" characters, in the 2020s, I bet it has worked in his favor.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back