New Doctor Who Series Discussion *Spoilers*

I actually prefer the NeonVisual one for Capaldi,....I like the zoom through the eye

The colours, the debris etc is more cinematic

J

Really digging the visuals, but I wish they'd go with electronic music (i.e., "old school") for the titles; I've never cared for the more orchestral versions. :unsure

British tabloids aren't the best source for Who News, I lost count of the number of just plain wrong stories The Sun has gone with. (Reporting Woody Allen or David Bowie as guest stars, spring to mind)

What's our policy here? I know this thread was originally marked spoilers for when the episode had aired in the UK but not yet in the US, so are we continuing to keep to that (i.e. once the BBC has shown it, it's fair game to discuss here) or are we allowing spoilers from the leaked stuff? Personally, I'd say no because I've been avoiding any leaks.

I actually prefer the NeonVisual one for Capaldi,....I like the zoom through the eye

The colours, the debris etc is more cinematic\
I agree — "cinematic" is the word I would use as well. I particularly like the way the camera interacts in a subtle way with the "scenery." For example, in the Capaldi version, the camera wavers just a bit as it passes through the lettering on the show logo.

Nothing wrong with the other one posted earlier, in my opinion, by the way. I was just really impressed with the others. I love a good title sequence, but that's not why I watch the show, nor would it keep me from watching even if it were terrible.

Qapla'

SSB

Not sure if this is actually a "spoiler" per se, but...

Jenna Coleman is supposed to be leaving at the end of this series. Frankly, I'm happy about this. While Clara was a perfectly acceptable companion, the Matt Smith-era dynamics are due for a change. The whole "Everyone has a crush on everyone" approach is played out, and I'd like to see more of a Donna/10 style dynamic, or something else. Also, I really wouldn't mind a male companion for a change, and preferably one who isn't largely inept.

You're in luck even if that "spoiler" isn't true. Not that this is spoilery either, but on the safe side...

The recurring male character is speculated to be a companion, and Moffat's already alluded to there being no romantic anything between 12 and Clara. I think that dynamic could use a break as well, but as long as it doesn't skew towards Martha levels we should be okay.

It's kind of amusing that some reports are referring to Clara as a long serving companion. She's third longest in the reboot, and there're surely plenty of companions that lasted more than 18 months in the classic series. Someone likely knows better than me, but I wouldn't have put her on the "long serving" side of the bell curve.

You're in luck even if that "spoiler" isn't true. Not that this is spoilery either, but on the safe side...

The recurring male character is speculated to be a companion, and Moffat's already alluded to there being no romantic anything between 12 and Clara. I think that dynamic could use a break as well, but as long as it doesn't skew towards Martha levels we should be okay.

It's kind of amusing that some reports are referring to Clara as a long serving companion. She's third longest in the reboot, and there're surely plenty of companions that lasted more than 18 months in the classic series. Someone likely knows better than me, but I wouldn't have put her on the "long serving" side of the bell curve.

Sara Jane Smith, just off the top of my head. Three series (11 - 14). Tied with Romana, but Romana was played by 2 different actresses. That said, the demands of the show today are, from what I gather, quite different from those in the old days, at least in terms of production and what's required of the actors.

14 episodes a year vs what was it in the day, twice that? Granted shorter episodes back then, but even with a much longer season it might even out.

What specifically is more "demanding" of the actors today. Press tours? They weren't allowed to do conventions while current cast until Moffat took over so I can't imagine that was a factor during the Davies years.

Ian, Barbara, Jamie, Jo, Sarah Jane, K-9, Romana, Nyssa, Tegan, Peri, and Ace all appear to have tenures longer than 18 months. Too lazy to check Susan and Adric.

Rehearsal schedules, hours on set, location shooting as opposed to studio shooting... I mean, that alone could be fairly taxing, since it's not like all they do is shoot in quarries anymore. ;)

I don't know, honestly. But what I hear is that the schedule is apparently quite demanding and not what a lot of actors these days seem to be interested in doing indefinitely, which leads to the more rapid turnover of cast that we see nowadays -- Doctors included.

Rehearsal schedules, hours on set, location shooting as opposed to studio shooting... I mean, that alone could be fairly taxing, since it's not like all they do is shoot in quarries anymore. ;)

I don't know, honestly. But what I hear is that the schedule is apparently quite demanding and not what a lot of actors these days seem to be interested in doing indefinitely, which leads to the more rapid turnover of cast that we see nowadays -- Doctors included.

To add to that, more and more TV actors are doing movies during their off season time which means they're working nearly year round now as opposed to getting months off during the off season. And if they're not doing movies they're hitting the stage as any number of actors have gotten their start by doing stage work and, in some cases, still love it and grab any chance they get to do stage work. Lastly, it's entirely possible that modern TV episodes take longer and are more complicate to shoot, especially for sci-fi show like Doctor Who with a lot of green screen work and elaborate stunts.

To add to that, more and more TV actors are doing movies during their off season time which means they're working nearly year round now as opposed to getting months off during the off season. And if they're not doing movies they're hitting the stage as any number of actors have gotten their start by doing stage work and, in some cases, still love it and grab any chance they get to do stage work. Lastly, it's entirely possible that modern TV episodes take longer and are more complicate to shoot, especially for sci-fi show like Doctor Who with a lot of green screen work and elaborate stunts.

Exactly. It's one thing when you're shooting what's basically a televised stage play. It's quite another when you're doing movie-level production with a ton of effects, location shoots, etc. It could (conceivably, at least) take a LOT longer to shoot a sequence for modern Doctor Who than it did back in the days of wobbly sets and stunt guys in rubber suits. Plus, I think the BBC used to have a tighter shooting schedule, which meant that the time you had to actually shoot was more restricted. You might end up shooting at 1am just to get a sequence in a section of London that's too busily traveled at other times to close off.

Basically, it can be more grueling for an actor to do modern TV than it was in the past.

Now, mind you, I'm not suggesting that the old stuff was easy, nor that modern actors aren't entitled to move on when they please. All I'm saying is that the new show is shot and produced very differently from the old, so it's tough to draw comparisons. But by sheer calendar time, yeah, the old-school companions lasted a lot longer.

Exactly. It's one thing when you're shooting what's basically a televised stage play. It's quite another when you're doing movie-level production with a ton of effects, location shoots, etc. It could (conceivably, at least) take a LOT longer to shoot a sequence for modern Doctor Who than it did back in the days of wobbly sets and stunt guys in rubber suits. Plus, I think the BBC used to have a tighter shooting schedule, which meant that the time you had to actually shoot was more restricted. You might end up shooting at 1am just to get a sequence in a section of London that's too busily traveled at other times to close off.

Basically, it can be more grueling for an actor to do modern TV than it was in the past.

Now, mind you, I'm not suggesting that the old stuff was easy, nor that modern actors aren't entitled to move on when they please. All I'm saying is that the new show is shot and produced very differently from the old, so it's tough to draw comparisons. But by sheer calendar time, yeah, the old-school companions lasted a lot longer.

If you have not seen them, you should go back and watch some of the Doctor Who Confidential series that used to be released in conjunction with each of the Davies era of shows and you can really see how hard they worked on each episode. From what I understand, each episode takes a couple of weeks to shoot and then months of post production, which as has been mentioned is more like shooting a movie than a TV show.

Hmmm, don't really like the new theme music,....episode a bit slow,.....Peter Capaldi is very interesting though,......SHUT UP!

J

Less orchestral and more synth, kinda has an old-style, 80's Who vibe. I think it'll grow on me. Looks like Capaldi has the potential to be a more mysterious and darker Doctor, I'm sure the fangirls will be disappointed they can't swoon over him, but it could be refreshing to see a different take than we've had recently. I don't think I've ever been 100% sure of a Doctor from just their first episode, so I'll wait until at least next week to start judging.
Looks like Moffat is still trying to give us 'big mysterious hints' and annoying snippets that probably won't be resolved anytime soon. Mystery ad in the paper? Why couldn't that have just been like in The Lodger and they go back and do it after the adventure is over? And Robot Heaven? Really? Oh, and honestly, what was the point of the dinosaur? It added nothing to the plot, literally stood around doing nothing, and then was removed.

Conclusion: Capaldi gets the benefit of the doubt, but Moffat's cliché's and repeated idea are wearing thin.

I liked it especially the doctor's comment about looking in the mirror when he is in the bedroom. The cameo was unexpected. A voice over would have been fine. The comedy sound effects thrown in there (Strax and the newspaper bit) could have been left out as it just seemed really forced and unplaced, There were a few times I couldn't tell what the doctor was saying because of his accent but it wasn't a bad episode for the 12th out of the gate. I really liked the 12th's energy though.

I think the sound mix may have been off, I normally have no problem with Scottish accents, but I missed a few of his words, but not just his, sometimes Clara was hard to hear too.

Agreed on the comedy sound effects, and what the hell was Strax doing? Killing himself because his enemy wouldn't die?

It will be interesting to see how much of the 'annoying hints' and 'snippets' will be carried over into the rest of the season. I hope it doesn't go all timey-wimey on us.

I didn't really get why we needed the Doctor running around in his nightgown (again). At least he didn't have any special post-regen 'powers' this time around.

And that new theme is very reminiscent of the Sylvester McCoy era! Here's hoping that's not a bad omen.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back