New Doctor Who Series Discussion *Spoilers*

Have you seen the new Daleks yet??
http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/new-daleks-revealed-4143.htm
:lol :sick

OK, hang on because...i actually LIKE that XD It's VERY classic 60's in Peter Cushing Doctor Who style with the bigger bumper and the colors. I only hope the different colors are different ranks like the old days. I love the new eye stalk, i love the new armour design and the detailing is spectacular! I really hope the Daleks get restored into a true universal and ongoing threat like they used to be.

Well, it could just be a case of BAD camera angles. I didn't like the look of the JJ-Prise when they first showed pics of it, but after seeing it in action I think it's rather beautiful in it's own way.
To me, these daleks look clunky and funky but I notice that they're all shot from fairly low angles so perhaps better angles will change my opinion.
I'm NOT a fan of the Cushing style bumpers though :p never have been and I actually enjoyed those films.

Bad camera angles remind me of a site talking about the "Myspace camera angles" essentially if you shoot a (heavier) girl from a high angle, it tends to reduce the apparent weight by a bit while if you shot a normal person from low angles they tend to look heavier (god knows I do whenever my wife takes my pic)

Well, it could just be a case of BAD camera angles. I didn't like the look of the JJ-Prise when they first showed pics of it, but after seeing it in action I think it's rather beautiful in it's own way.
To me, these daleks look clunky and funky but I notice that they're all shot from fairly low angles so perhaps better angles will change my opinion.
I'm NOT a fan of the Cushing style bumpers though :p never have been and I actually enjoyed those films.

Bad camera angles remind me of a site talking about the "Myspace camera angles" essentially if you shoot a (heavier) girl from a high angle, it tends to reduce the apparent weight by a bit while if you shot a normal person from low angles they tend to look heavier (god knows I do whenever my wife takes my pic)

Well, the basics are all still there, but what i think throws off the geometry is the raised armor plates around the skirt and the loss of the solar panel collectors in favor of a more separate raised section and larger gun box making the design a bit heavier looking. I also like the new neck section. It makes them look more tough like that to me. It also seems more solid and integrated into itself. I'd like to see these in full action though to get a good assessment of the way they look but so far i really do like them quite a bit. Even the coloring, I mean, aside from the red and such the mainly black is a great contrast to the solid colors. lol, on the bumpers though XD I actually didn't mind that so much though I think they look better on these designs.

Yeah, the camera has a tendency to do things to an object that when on film looks much better. The JJ-prise is a great example, I really have warmed up to that one since the original pictures because on screen it really did look very good...don't ask me about anything else from the movie though XD

I'm going to give these new Daleks a good chance though, I really am liking them so far.

Wonderful, I was hoping this would be happen! Your right though it's a bit fuzzy, I'm sure someone will be able to clean it up a bit.

Working on it whilst I watch service packs install on our servers. If I can get it polished off by the end of the day I can have a nice large print for Saturday... :lol

Here's a link to the official 'victory poster' and a couple of different fan mades which I think are better;

4521363597_6927b76c23.jpg

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/d11s01/d11s01e01_to_victory.pdf
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andsat/4521363597/sizes/o/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/combomphotos/4510627177/sizes/o/

Last edited:
Working on it whilst I watch service packs install on our servers. If I can get it polished off by the end of the day I can have a nice large print for Saturday... :lol

And Lo, I did!

Just went and printed off half a dozen copies on white A3 card stock to take home and age. This is why I removed the natural off-white background when I rejiggered it, so I could do my own via aging. Now to get it aged and framed by Saturday. Good job I have tomorrow off. :rolleyes

I know it's not perfect, but it's the best I could do on my combined Coffee + Lunch break and with occasional pokes whilst servers were rebooting. Will post the Zipped BMP in the Paper Props forum.

EDIT: And hey, here it is.

And therein goes my first paper prop contribution to the RPF. I've got a few more in mind but like all things right now, I just never seem to have the time.

**EDIT**
Bloody typical of the BBC; no sooner do i polish this off and post it but they repost the PDF with accurate text at the bottom of the image. Will update mine and repost.

**SECOND EDIT**

Ok up to date preview added with accurate text. updating paper prop thread.

Last edited:
GAaaaaaaaah! They HAD to do this, didn't they?! I *LOVE* the Union Jack Dalek. I wish I had enough time and materials to build one. And that poster would just be the icing on the cake for displaying the Dalek.

Still reserving opinions on the others with the ribbed necks. Looks a little too Robby the Robot to me, but I want to see them in action. I look forward to Saturday!

(Oh, and how do you plan to age yours? I'm thinking about doing the same thing at the print shop at school. Might strip the red out of one while I'm at it, to give it a feel of having been in the sunlight for a while.)

Well, I must say that this thread has got me gearing up.

In here in the Great White North, Doctor Who starts showing this Saturday night.

I was not a fan of the new Doctor, initially, but I will be watching now.

GAaaaaaaaah! They HAD to do this, didn't they?! I *LOVE* the Union Jack Dalek. I wish I had enough time and materials to build one. And that poster would just be the icing on the cake for displaying the Dalek.

Still reserving opinions on the others with the ribbed necks. Looks a little too Robby the Robot to me, but I want to see them in action. I look forward to Saturday!

(Oh, and how do you plan to age yours? I'm thinking about doing the same thing at the print shop at school. Might strip the red out of one while I'm at it, to give it a feel of having been in the sunlight for a while.)

Inititally I'm gonna try the oven method, see how it comes out. I printed out a few (now inaccurate... grrrg... BBC... grrrg...) copies so i've got some room for trial and error. And yeah, a Union Jack Dalek would be sweet. It's enough to make me contemplate picking up one of the 12 inch new series Daleks just to mod into one of these... do you think it'd be in scale with the other WW2 accessories you can get out there? hmmm....

After a series of experiments I decided the way to go was Oven Baking, so with 4 of the 5 remaining posters I set to work, sat staring at an oven is a FUN way to spend your thursday evening kids. Put my favorite result into a waiting frame and bang. Job done. These are from the design I did before the BBC posted the screen accurate text. I will probably print off one or two of the revised version and replace the one in the frame.

Pictures? Of course!

Overview of: Framed poster, 3 times aged unmounted posters, 1 unaged poster and 2 test prints at A4 size.

Close up of framed poster.

Unbaked on the left, Baked on the right.

Close up of print quality.

Apologies for the grain on the pictures. Didn't want to distort results by using Flash. Needless to say oven baking brought out all sorts of interesting marks from the oils in my fingerprints, etc. Far from ruining it I it makes me love them even more. I'm tempted to take one of them and distress it even further. Depending on what happens in the episode maybe one of them will need to be ripped/burnt/blood splattered ;)

Last edited:
I made posters, one on matte paper that really makes the inks dark, and one distressed to hell.

*Image removed to save on thread size*

Awesome stuff! I wish I had general access to printers that could above A3 in size. That kinda dictated the scale I worked to. Lets hope the episode is worth the effort in the end :lol

Next step for me I think is taking a 12" Dalek and making it into an 'Ironside' via painting and accessories.

Only you would know that!

It's the pic from an old HJ mag (I think?) I scanned, cleaned up, reprinted, and had Yokoyama-san sign in 2006 when we flew to Portland to meet him... he sketched a Medusa too - I'll take a better pic on Monday when I'm back to work!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back