New Doctor Who Series Discussion *Spoilers*

I'm surprised, especially with Handles, that they haven't done a new voice changer helmet for the new Cybermen. Maybe it's just paranoia because of how much money they probably burned making toys for the new Daleks. Heck, if it wasn't for Handles, I doubt the helmet would sell that well, either.

To be fair, I hate catch phrases in general. Not a fan of "allons y" or "geronimo" either although they're not as overused and annoying. :)

Isn't it so strange? I'm the same way generally about catch phrases... but I found "Allons-Y!" to be rather endearing. Dunno why. By rights it should bother me... at least a little, shouldn't it? I guess it's down to the fact that I really like Pond and 10, so I've come to like their catch phrases along with them. I never did truly like River Song. I liked the idea of her... and I like Alex Kingston just fine. I just didn't end up liking how the character was from show to show.

I too want a new cyber head. I thought when handles died it actually had the most emotion of the episode. I also thought you couldn't have Matts end without Amy. Though I do agree it seemed to be a spit in Clara's face. Would have been better to have it at a different point. One last good part was the bowtie hitting the floor so symbolic of Matt's run. The only other things I would have changed was dropping the nudity and have the energy come from the original crack in the tower and catch the doctor off guard instead of a new one forming again. Maybe shown the energy creeping up a twisted staircase Matt used to get to the top. Oh and no eating the energy like he's pacman and its an energy pellet.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually like the Christmas special. The only thing I didn't like about it was the regen from Smith to Capaldi. Over the years of New Who, we have come to expect the type you saw with 9 to 10 and 10 to 11, not this quick shot from one to another. I had no problem with Amy showing up at the end.

Well to be fair, they split the regeneration. There was the dramatic effect that was similar to 9 and 10's regeneration within the clock tower. They decided to split it to allow Matt's goodbye and move to Capaldi because it wouldn't make sense for another huge burst of energy.

In a way he reversed 10's. Remember Tennant had major damage and then healed as the regeneration begun and then exploded after a time to reflect. 11 had the explosion and then the showing of healing and then reflected.

Finally got to watch The Time of the Doctor and I wasn’t too impressed. It suffers from Moffat’s tendency to throw everything, including the kitchen sink, on the screen. He's a great idea man who doesn’t know when enough is enough; he tries to pack too much into a story...he's great at beginnings but terrible at conclusions. If he were a chainsaw juggler he would have cut off his limbs by now. Not terribly impressed with the introduction of Capaldi either, very abrupt and he appears to be totally psychotic.

It’s too bad because I think Matt Smith has been an absolutely brilliant doctor in an era where the writing has not matched his abilities. Jenna Coleman is terrific as well but has been the victim of uneven writing to put it mildly; I can’t see any rhyme or reason to her characters story arc at all.

I think they need to bring someone in to act as Moffat's personal idea editor who can trim maybe 35% of what he wants to cram into a story or they need to slow down the pace and split the stories up into two or three parts to give them more time to explain what the hell is going on and make the story elements seem more cohesive and not so scatterbrained.

Sorta looking forward to the new series...

I agree... I really want to see moffat off the show, for the show's own sake.
as you said he had some great ideas throughout the run, but in my opinion season 5-6 and this special were the low point of the new series.
a lot of people blamed smith for being a childish doctor and stuff but in actuality the writing was very childish and most of the time made no sense.
I really hope we get a more mature run with capaldi, but I highly doubt it cause moffat is still in the lead.

I wonder how long Moffatt knew that Smith was quitting? Seems odd that Series 7 was full of a whole lot of not much, then all the loose ends were tied up as throwaways in the Christmas episode.

I wonder how long Moffatt knew that Smith was quitting? Seems odd that Series 7 was full of a whole lot of not much, then all the loose ends were tied up as throwaways in the Christmas episode.

Smith announced he was leaving at about the time that Name of the Doctor aired, which means they were already filming the 50th special. That doesn't mean that Moffat didn't know about it, but most everyone thought Smith was coming back for Series 8.

I liked most of the content in the latest episode, because I think that MAYBE big parts of it will make perfectly sense two or three episodes later ;)

To be fair, I hate catch phrases in general. Not a fan of "allons y" or "geronimo" either although they're not as overused and annoying. :)

Me too. Though I thought that Eccleston's 'fantastic' was natural. It never seemed out of place or forced into a situation.

Then again, Hurt's "Oh for god's sakes...Gallifrey stands!" was pretty funny!

Exactly, which again makes me wish they had ended Smith's run and regenerated him at the end of the 50th, it wasn't a perfect story, but it was better than what we were left with

The 50th hit all the right buttons I thought. Quite enjoyed it. :)

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

I'm relatively new to Doctor Who. I watched many years ago with the Bakers, Davisons and McCoy... and even McGann. I tried giving the new series a chance but, really didn't have time or it didn't appeal too much to me - just didn't care for Ecceleston much at first; and as the series advanced Tennant and then Smith just seemed to appeal to a different crowd. I've seen some episodes here and there and some of it seemed very solid, but it was mostly on as background type stuff. So now here I am... really enjoying the last few episodes and taking the leap back into Who fandom.

The Name of the Doctor was excellent, I found it to be a perfect balance of all thing's Doctor Who. Yeah, there are some thing's I didn't care for... the Doctor appearing to be in a relationship (and eventual marriage) with Queen Elizabeth seemed a bit un-Doctor like to me). This was just great TV, period.

The Time of the Doctor wasn't quite as good... but, still found it solid. The nitpicks are a bit more glaringly obvious. I didn't like that the Doctor stayed on this planet, in this town for several hundred years - just didn't seem very Doctor-like and while I've had folks explain it to me, it just doesn't feel right. The regeneration process destroying the Daleks as it did seemed off, as well - is there a precedent for this type of power being unleashed like this? Just simply not as strong a story for me.

I'm looking forward to starting from series one and will hopefully be up to speed once the new season starts (If I finish Breaking Bad and Downton Abbey season 4 by then!).

I'm relatively new to Doctor Who. I watched many years ago with the Bakers, Davisons and McCoy... and even McGann. I tried giving the new series a chance but, really didn't have time or it didn't appeal too much to me - just didn't care for Ecceleston much at first; and as the series advanced Tennant and then Smith just seemed to appeal to a different crowd. I've seen some episodes here and there and some of it seemed very solid, but it was mostly on as background type stuff. So now here I am... really enjoying the last few episodes and taking the leap back into Who fandom.

(y)thumbsup

The Name of the Doctor was excellent, I found it to be a perfect balance of all thing's Doctor Who. Yeah, there are some thing's I didn't care for... the Doctor appearing to be in a relationship (and eventual marriage) with Queen Elizabeth seemed a bit un-Doctor like to me). This was just great TV, period.

You mean Day of the Doctor. ;) Ya, I really liked it. Watched it a few times now and it was easily the best theatre experience I had last year.

The Time of the Doctor wasn't quite as good... but, still found it solid. The nitpicks are a bit more glaringly obvious. I didn't like that the Doctor stayed on this planet, in this town for several hundred years - just didn't seem very Doctor-like and while I've had folks explain it to me, it just doesn't feel right. The regeneration process destroying the Daleks as it did seemed off, as well - is there a precedent for this type of power being unleashed like this? Just simply not as strong a story for me.

I thought it was pretty weak on a lot of levels but that's just me. As for power release during regeneration it has been established in the new series that it can cause serious damage (re: Tennant blowing up the TARDIS) and it's also been established that it can be directed (re: Tennant shooting the energy into his hand) but nothing near to the silly level we saw in the Xmas episode.

I'm looking forward to starting from series one and will hopefully be up to speed once the new season starts (If I finish Breaking Bad and Downton Abbey season 4 by then!).

You've got 9 months. You can do it! :)

You mean Day of the Doctor. ;) Ya, I really liked it. Watched it a few times now and it was easily the best theatre experience I had last year.
Yup, Day of the Doctor... although I did watch 'Name' awhile back and that was a catalyst for me getting back on the Who bandwagon.

I think I've got the nephew hooked, too.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back