Nerf Gun Props? YES!

Here's a few things from the past couple days. Been working on a couple guns with all my free time. They will be actually carried by the actors for convention appearances, etc. Not a huge budget movie, but professional enough to be promoting the movie in a proper way! ;)

Work in progress! Had to stay with their coloring, so I didn't have as much creative license. Plus it had to match the first set of guns made by another person that had already been used on-screen.
IMG_6052.jpg

IMG_6054.jpg

My WIP on left, original on right
IMG_6035.jpg

Babylon 5 PPG Pistol - worked on this while the paint was drying on the other guns :) (It's a solid resin casting)
Babylon5PPG.jpg

IMG_6045.jpg

IMG_6048.jpg

Love the Longstrike re-paint/re-work, it really does make an awesome blaster rifle when re-done like that, might have to pick one of those up myself I think.

You could try putting some up in the Junkyard here on the RPF?

Roughneckone:cool

Love the Longstrike re-paint/re-work, it really does make an awesome blaster rifle when re-done like that, might have to pick one of those up myself I think.

You could try putting some up in the Junkyard here on the RPF?

Is that the trade/sell area? I should have looked in there :) I'm always making and selling the guns so if you're interested, let me know!

Yeah that's the trade area here, definitely worth a try putting a couple of your weapons up there, I'm sure some folks will be interested.

I do love your guns to be sure, however I'm in the UK and the authorities over here frown big time on Joe public having any kind of guns even repainted Nerfs. I know I build/paint the occasional sci-fi weapon myself but they don't have to go through the post system if you see what I mean.

Really nice job on the Longstrike Brian, love the addition of the grilles to the lower barrel, really must get one of those I think.

Really nice job on the Longstrike Brian, love the addition of the grilles to the lower barrel, really must get one of those I think.

Thank you! I will have just one more shot of that gun with a "ton" of weathering to it. The prop handler wanted it to look beaten up... *sniff* :cry hehe

Ok, here's last week's run. Some of these will be done tomorrow as you'll see they're missing the rear butt stocks :)

Clear airsoft 1911 from walmart. It does come with the functioning red-dot, which is cool :)
IMG_6111.jpg

IMG_6112.jpg

IMG_6068.jpg

This one already looks a lot more done since I took the photo a few days ago. Love the lines on these new soakers
IMG_6065.jpg

Last edited:
If you use it though make sure you shake the hell out of it first or it'll spray like glue.
Make sure you really shake em up and keep them in a warm spot. Cold weathr makes the paint gummy and it will not spray evenly.
To avoid "glue" or "gummy" paint, here's a little "Rattle Can 101": Heat the can before you spray. Always. Regardless of whether it's primer, enamel, or acrylic, heating the can thins the "viscosity" of the primer/paint within slightly, which allows it to flow from the can more easily and results in a smoother finish. Mind you, it's not about the ambient temperature, it's about the temperature of the primer/paint itself.

There are various ways of doing this, but I put the can in a plastic bag (the plastic bag keeps the can from rusting, just in case you don't use it all and the remainder will sit on the shelf for a while) and let it soak in a bucket of hot tap water for 10-15 minutes. Then shake the snot out of it to mix it thoroughly before spraying.

Whatever you do, do not use a "hot plate" or other electric heating element to do this!!! First, the paint doesn't need to be that hot. Second, heat makes things expand, and you're likely to end up with an exploded can and paint everywhere you don't want it.

I'm not saying this is a foolproof method, but almost everyone I know who has tried it has been pleasantly surprised with the results.

Back to the main topic, you'se guys are incredibly talented! You've turned a bit of plastic and paint (and a bit of leather here and there) into some very real-looking weaponry! I might just have to try it myself one of these days...

Thanks for the tip Z, I've been looking for a way to do that particularly for cans left outside by accident, and that will do the trick nicely. Don't know why it never occurred to me to use water.

These are some really incredible paint jobs! I've picked up a few Nerf guns in the past with the intention creating something, but I was curious -has anyone attempted to vinyl dye their gun to improve paint durability?

To avoid "glue" or "gummy" paint, here's a little "Rattle Can 101": Heat the can before you spray. Always. Regardless of whether it's primer, enamel, or acrylic, heating the can thins the "viscosity" of the primer/paint within slightly, which allows it to flow from the can more easily and results in a smoother finish. Mind you, it's not about the ambient temperature, it's about the temperature of the primer/paint itself.

There are various ways of doing this, but I put the can in a plastic bag (the plastic bag keeps the can from rusting, just in case you don't use it all and the remainder will sit on the shelf for a while) and let it soak in a bucket of hot tap water for 10-15 minutes. Then shake the snot out of it to mix it thoroughly before spraying.

Whatever you do, do not use a "hot plate" or other electric heating element to do this!!! First, the paint doesn't need to be that hot. Second, heat makes things expand, and you're likely to end up with an exploded can and paint everywhere you don't want it.

I'm not saying this is a foolproof method, but almost everyone I know who has tried it has been pleasantly surprised with the results.

Back to the main topic, you'se guys are incredibly talented! You've turned a bit of plastic and paint (and a bit of leather here and there) into some very real-looking weaponry! I might just have to try it myself one of these days...

Great advice! I always have my cans in the sunlight, myself, but I realize most of you are not in FL where it's 80 degrees outside :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back