Nerf Gun Props? YES!

These are some really incredible paint jobs! I've picked up a few Nerf guns in the past with the intention creating something, but I was curious -has anyone attempted to vinyl dye their gun to improve paint durability?

I just bought some, I'll be sure to let you know what I think and how it turns out! I'm going to wear some gloves for this...hehe.

Ok guys, here's a few of the larger guns I finished tonight as well as a few more WIPs.

LongshotSteampunkCollage.jpg

IMG_6132.jpg

GeneralGrievousNerf.jpg

IMG_6129.jpg

IMG_6128.jpg

IMG_6135.jpg

IMG_6136.jpg

Thanks for the tip Z, I've been looking for a way to do that particularly for cans left outside by accident, and that will do the trick nicely. Don't know why it never occurred to me to use water.
You're very welcome! I've been building styrene model kits since the late 60s and I've never owned an airbrush, so when someone turned me on to this little trick about 10 years ago and I saw the results, I've used it ever since. When I read the comments about "glue like" and "gummy" paint, I knew I had to share it. Hope it helps!

You're very welcome! I've been building styrene model kits since the late 60s and I've never owned an airbrush, so when someone turned me on to this little trick about 10 years ago and I saw the results, I've used it ever since. When I read the comments about "glue like" and "gummy" paint, I knew I had to share it. Hope it helps!

For sure! That's why I love this place and the thoughtful members.

thatd be great if you could make a tutorial. at my high school they have "dart wars" in which teams face off against other teams with nerf guns and if i had one of these once i compete it would be awesome!

My only question is how/what are you using to detail the paint on the guns?

It's a mixture of paints and washes, thats about all that I use. Most of the looks are what I've managed to "develope" over time through trial and error, but I don't write stuff down. :) The honest truth is I do most of my painting without knowing exactly how the finished product will look. It lets me make changes during the project that I might not otherwise do if I have a pre-determined look for the finished gun or whatever I'm painting. It's just how I've always painted, no matter the medium, probably because it's just as fun for me when I see how it ended up :)

The trouble I have with metallic looks is that once it's been painted on, in say an acrylic or spray can, I cover it all in a gloss or satin lacquer to seal and protect it, and all metallic parts lose their lustre. I think my lacquer cans are warm enough, I shake them for ages and apply several thin coats from half a mile away, but it never seems to work. I want to make sure the paintwork is protected during handling. Any tips for a good metal effect that lasts?

Also, how much sanding do you do on these blasters? Are you sanding and colour sanding between coats of paint? Painting in such fine detail such as these has never been my forte, I don't even know how to use a wash. Your paint jobs are the among the best I've seen due to the detail of weathering; you manage to stick with the colour scheme of what should be "original" paint and what should be "worn" paint. Are you using exceptionally small brushes? It's just too good!

The trouble I have with metallic looks is that once it's been painted on, in say an acrylic or spray can, I cover it all in a gloss or satin lacquer to seal and protect it, and all metallic parts lose their lustre. I think my lacquer cans are warm enough, I shake them for ages and apply several thin coats from half a mile away, but it never seems to work. I want to make sure the paintwork is protected during handling. Any tips for a good metal effect that lasts?

Also, how much sanding do you do on these blasters? Are you sanding and colour sanding between coats of paint? Painting in such fine detail such as these has never been my forte, I don't even know how to use a wash. Your paint jobs are the among the best I've seen due to the detail of weathering; you manage to stick with the colour scheme of what should be "original" paint and what should be "worn" paint. Are you using exceptionally small brushes? It's just too good!

I have about 100+ brushes, some that I've cut with an x-acto knife to get in tight areas, but I also use a lof of the larger brushes for more pronounced wear and scratchs. Concerning the clearcoat on the faux metal, you can try matte clear in really light coats or they sell special metalizer-sealer. It's not full gloss, but it's not really dull, either. The only problem is most of these paints and such are only sold in small containers and they're somewhat expensive if you use them in quantity (like I tend to do!).

Give the matte clearcoat a try first and see how that works for ya and if it's still not what you're looking for, checking out military modeling magazines can be a lot of help when it comes to replicating wear and tear! Good luck and I hope I was some help.

Hey guys just picked this up, I need some ideas. I want to paint it chrome and some gun metal. I want to change the front dart holder some how any thoughts?

wow this has been one blast of a thread. I did this one a while back, unfortunately the walthers paint up is drowned out by the flash.. :(

Question for you guys, how hardy are these enamels, don't they eventually wear off the grips from holding them?

as a poll, which would you do more often? tape+mask it / dissemble...

thanks all

IMG_0295.jpg

my fett blaster
fett3.jpg

I need a photo tent...LOL

Question for you guys, how hardy are these enamels, don't they eventually wear off the grips from holding them?
Enamels are generally much more durable than acrylics, but any paint will wear off eventually with a great deal of handling.

as a poll, which would you do more often? tape+mask it / dissemble...
For me it depends on the piece and what I'm planning to do with it; sometimes you can get by with masking, other times it's almost impossible to achieve what you want without disassembly.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back