Nerf Gun Props? YES!

A few phone cam shots from the new Lanard X8 I'm working. It's coming along nicely and I'm high from paint fumes! Woo! ;)

IMG_2997.jpg

IMG_2998.jpg

IMG_2999.jpg

IMG_3002.jpg

That looks tricky. I'm seeing a lot of putty and styrene, and I think . . . is that blue painters tape?

Have you thought about contacting the builder?

My advice would be take apart one recon, see what the trigger system is, and work your way back from there. You probably need to use a metal rod that runs across each trigger and then a bar that runs down to the single grip.

The tape seems to be where they made holes removing the handles, I think I have the trigger figured out but what it does when it slides back it pushes up a catch that holds the plunger back. The builder not only did no other documentation they've been inactive for a year :( If they'd done a write-up it would make life easier.

So I'm guessing then you want it to be functional? If it was me I would skip the functionality on a beast like that and chop the handles, add the plastic as he did, but close it up all the way. It looks fantastic as a concept, but I think if you try to keep the functionality you're going to pay for it with the finished look. He mentions having to leave things open to clear jams and such (and I imagine any trigger system is prone to malfunction). If you did want it to function I imagine you could use the same plumbers epoxy to extend the trigger in both directions and cut the pieces off the tops and affix them to the ends of the extensions. After it hardened it'd be a real chore to break it, and it'd probably be easier than trying to fabricate wire parts or something. That way if done correctly it'll still have the original action, and less of a chance of breaking. As for the cocking system I would take off the silver cover pieces, cut off the sides that would be to the inside where the guns meet, and use the epoxy to join them and make one large cocking mechanism cover piece with a pull attached to the back. It'll make the gun easier to cock, and make it look more like one gun with two barrels.

Has anyone tried using a couple of qkit MX009-1 digital counters for an ammo counter on a Nerf gun? I tried getting a QK154, but my soldering skills are not so great and it doesn't work. Rather than buy another kit for $10 more (preassembled), I found the MX009-1 counters, preassembled for less money and you can string 2 or more together to make however many digits you need. There just isn't much documentation on them so I don't know what happens when both counters reach 0. It will either reset to the preset value, flip to 99 or stay at zero, anyone know how they work?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Last edited:
Has anyone tried using a couple of qkit MX009-1 digital counters for an ammo counter on a Nerf gun? I tried getting a QK154, but my soldering skills are not so great and it doesn't work. Rather than buy another kit for $10 more (preassembled), I found the MX009-1 counters, preassembled for less money and you can string 2 or more together to make however many digits you need. There just isn't much documentation on them so I don't know what happens when both counters reach 0. It will either reset to the preset value, flip to 99 or stay at zero, anyone know how they work?

I don't know anything about them, but I'd be curious to find out the answers to your questions as well.

Interesting build. Love that you turned the stock upside down. Nice light solution for cosplay. I was thinking of converting a nerf super soaker into a vera. Now that I own some reference material and all. ;)

thanks guys... it was kind of a spur of the moment thing.. I am working on a Jayne costume.. I wore what I had to a con last weekend, enter a costume costest and almost won.. the judge came up to me and said if I only had a "Vera" I would of won for sure.. at the time my Recon was painted black and weather it. I did some research on "vera" and felt that was way out of my skill level.. so I thought maybe I could just paint it similar to vera.. I was going to paint it only.. but started have fun.. and kept going... its not the best, but you get the idea. like you said. its good for the cosplay.

If you do make one from a super soaker I would love to see it. which one do you think you would be starting with? I havnt looked at the super soakers, so I dont know whats out there...

I don't know anything about them, but I'd be curious to find out the answers to your questions as well.

K, they are in the mail. Should be here next week some time for me to toy with. I'll be sure to post my findings with these.

I'll be adding them to a stampede and think I figured out where to add a switch for counting the rounds. There is a door that keeps darts from sliding out the front. Right when the gun is going to fire, one piece slides down to allow the door to open. I figure the switch can hook to the piece that slides down or the door that opens.

Edit: Here is a picture of the door and moving part I was talking about...
View attachment 62120

And here is a sheet on the MX009-1...
View attachment 62125

Last edited:
so, and sorry for the double post, but how in the h-e double hockey sticks do you guys do such bad as...zeroth paint jobs??? What paints are you using etc... Any help will be, well, helpful. I should add that we bought some spray paint that is "textured" and for plastics, but do you spray a dry brush and then sweep the guns?

Here is an G36 airsoft gun with nerf parts turned into a combo weapon from warhammer 40k.
Bolter with flame thrower. It's for a Canoness costume for D*con...

about 90% done...
IMG_20110804_233052.jpg

IMG_20110804_233114.jpg

IMG_20110804_233232.jpg

This is what the flame effect looks like..
IMG_20110728_231644.jpg

And just cause I thought it was cool..
IMG_20110804_233052-1.jpg

That looks fantastic Drac!

Here is an G36 airsoft gun with nerf parts turned into a combo weapon from warhammer 40k.
Bolter with flame thrower. It's for a Canoness costume for D*con...

about 90% done...
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa258/BR_Calix/Making%20of/IMG_20110804_233052.jpg
This is what the flame effect looks like..
[IMG]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa258/BR_Calix/Making%20of/IMG_20110728_231644.jpg
QUOTE]

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back