Nerf Aliens Pulse Rifle Build

Oops, sorry knlotzi, my bad :behave

I am currently in talks with a circuit designer for another project I'm working on. I can ask about a fully working counter if anyone is interested?

Klotzi: Great job man!!! The round counter looks perfect in there :)

And glad you like the templates. It's so great to see everyone taking my little project and building on it.

Where are you guys getting the styrene? I don't have a local hobby shop that carries the big sheets but I did find some black 21x8 online. Would 21x6 work? It's cheaper, lol!

Hey quest, are you sure it was .08 styrene? That's some thick stuff! After looking at some scrap I had, I was thinking .06 (maybe thinner for the barrel shroud).

Hey quest, are you sure it was .08 styrene? That's some thick stuff! After looking at some scrap I had, I was thinking .06 (maybe thinner for the barrel shroud).

I used 2mm Styrene which roughly equals .08 inch. 3, 4 swipes with an exacto and you can break it with a nice edge. Cutting through takes 6 to 7, depending on how hard you push. I found breaking easier than cutting, I used a pair of pliers for the flimsy parts.

This is my trigger solution, for those interested. I used the trigger that was in the Longshot frontgun grip. Still has to be cut down. 3 pieces of styrene (2 strips that cover the whole length, the third in the middle sits in front of the trigger between the strips and moves the spring release)

qoPfj.jpg

~ Klotzi

After a couple of days tinkering with the totally new world of electronics I have this baby up and running.
015.jpg

I have it counting down but need to tinker some more to patch it in with the trigger.
016.jpg

I'm just waiting for delivery of the LED's for the barrel & grenade launcher flash and then I have the fun of getting the Blaster Core up and running, I feel I may be seeking help in the near future.

Nice one, erikv.

Am I the only one who's filling and sanding his ass off to get a really smooth build or do I just not see enough pictures?

Sometimes, I'm feeling as if I put too much effort in some things.

Either this, or i'm incredibly untalented or others care less than me.

~ Klotzi

this totally makes me want to build a working pulse rifle - but then I remember the R2 in the Garage that I need to finish first... Great Job!

I've started sanding it's not too bad but makes such a difference to the look of the shroud.
I'm not sure if I'll bother filling and smoothing the grip.
I've got all the bits for fitting the Blaster core and a bit of handy advice from Erv. I wont be able to have a cocking action sound but if I sacrifice the magazine in and out I can have the pump sound on the launcher, which is the coolest part anyway.
I can't wait to get it completed but I don't want to rush it.

Oh wow! That round counter looks amazing!!!

As for the styrene, it's definitely the 2mm/.08. Don't try to cut all the way through. Score once, bend, bend, snap. For the thinner pieces, just use a pair of pliers to grip the piece and gently bend it.

I got totally lazy with the filler on mine, so I missed out on a lot of sanding (just sanding the nerf logos down was enough work for me ;). I tried bondo, but it didn't stick, so I just skipped the filler entirely. I did sand down all the edges of the styrene though, to give it a rounded look. Makes it look a lot cleaner and more realistic imo.

If you guys have walkthroughs for the round counter and blaster core, I'd love to see them added here:)

Oh, and my trigger extender is basically identical to the one posted earlier, the only note I would make is that there isn't much room for the trigger itself inside the trigger guard. I tried using the trigger from the longshot front gun as well, but found it easier to just make the entire extender, trigger included, out of one piece of styrene, then sandwich a few more pieces on the sides for strength.

Brilliant work everyone! :)

Thanks for the styrene tips guys. I was confused because I had an old piece that I thought was .08, but it is .116, lol!

By blaster core, do you mean the main gun (Recon)? I'm starting my build this weekend and will document as much as I can.

Also, does anyone have any tips for cutting the magazine?

^ No, not the recon, the blaster core erikv is using for the lights and sounds :)

For the magazine, I cut mine with a hacksaw and glued it with hot glue. To keep the spring out of the way when you cut it, just push it all the way to the bottom and mash some paper towel in there to hold it down.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back