Need help from sculpting experts (or amateurs) - base form

TxBabyHuey

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I am going to start on my Gillman from Monster Squad and the last sculpt I made I bought a head bust from Hobby Lobby and piled on foam pads and duct tape until I had a base I was happy with which worked, albeit kind of ghetto.

But this time I need to get the shoulders and want a respectable base even though you won't see it afterwards anyway.

I was wondering if I did a skeleton out of pvc pipe and another $5 Hobby Lobby foam head, that if I used spray on insulation foam like a mousse spray can from Lowe's if I can carve that foam with a electric turkey cutter or shape it easily with an electric sander.

Has anyone ever tried this?

You can pretty much use anything as a sculpting armature. If those are the materials you have on hand, go for it. You just want to think about creating a surface that the clay will tend to grip onto, rather than fall off of. And, if you're using water-based clay, you want to seal materials that would tend to draw moisture away from the clay.

I am using Monster Clay which super easy for me to work with, so I think I will be ok. But I just wondered if anyone has ever tried sanding away from or cutting that spray foam.

my last costume was 90% expanding foam. youll have to spray on more than you need, I use a cheap electric turkey knife from walmart to shave it down. it looks all smooth on the outside but when you carve it theres a bunch of bubbles like a kitchen sponge so after you have it to shape wrap it in aluminum foil before you put the clay on

I actually did this when I was working on a Batman cowl a while back. Worked perfectly fine. I've also done it to fill lifecasts and add necks and shoulders.

A tip, don't build it up too thick all at once. Do a layer, let it expand, do another layer. I built it all up at once when I did mine and got some pockets of uncured foam.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back