Wig and make-up help needed?

OfficerMD

Hi!

So I’m in the process of building a Jon Snow S7-S8 costume. For work related reasons (and time), I’m not able to grow out my pretty dark brown hair which would work worn on a half bun style (I think).
Obviously need to resort to using a wig. But need help in making it look convincing. The AliExpress 15$ wig seems something that could be redeemed.

So, I would use dry shampoo to take away the shine, obviously cut a bit of length and put the bun style in - easy enough. But my problem is making the hairline convincing and blending my own hair (which is partly visible). Any tips? Sorry for the pic, look more like Johnny from The Room than Kit Harrington here.
IMG_1821.jpeg

“YOU’RE TEARING ME APART LISA!” (Couldn’t help it, sorry)

IMG_1834.jpeg

Going for this look. Would appreciate make-up tips as well!

-J

It would've been nice to see your real hair and length without the wig. Saying that, and according to your natural length, you could opt for
hair extensions. A hairdresser (woman) could do that for you if the length permits it. If not, you should comb your natural hair over the wig at the front and try to do a color match between wig and natural hair.
It seems that, looking at the pic, his hair tone/color is not a solid one.

There's some brown in there that you could apply with an airbrush (if you have one). If you spray the color with a spray-can, then you should cut patterns in a fairly thick cardboard and apply the pattern on top of the wig and spray you color, making sure that your cardboard covers the rest of the wig to avoid spraying other parts of it!. Try to comb it as soon as the paint is dry to avoid clumping. Your cardboard cut-out should look like a snake. Don't make those straight; it doesn't look natural.

Make sure that your bun is already done before making those changes!

As for the beard/mustache: it should be tinted with a darker brown (beard coloring for men with a 10 minutes stay and then shampoo and rinse).
You might want to add some more hair with a make-up crayon of the same hue/color. You'll use the crayon in between you hair to make it thicker.

The scar should be done with a make-up crayon or paint (with a fine paintbrush). Then you can apply a skin tone foundation on top of your entire face + the scar. Good luck!

It would've been nice to see your real hair and length without the wig. Saying that, and according to your natural length, you could opt for
hair extensions. A hairdresser (woman) could do that for you if the length permits it. If not, you should comb your natural hair over the wig at the front and try to do a color match between wig and natural hair.
It seems that, looking at the pic, his hair tone/color is not a solid one.

There's some brown in there that you could apply with an airbrush (if you have one). If you spray the color with a spray-can, then you should cut patterns in a fairly thick cardboard and apply the pattern on top of the wig and spray you color, making sure that your cardboard covers the rest of the wig to avoid spraying other parts of it!. Try to comb it as soon as the paint is dry to avoid clumping. Your cardboard cut-out should look like a snake. Don't make those straight; it doesn't look natural.

Make sure that your bun is already done before making those changes!

As for the beard/mustache: it should be tinted with a darker brown (beard coloring for men with a 10 minutes stay and then shampoo and rinse).
You might want to add some more hair with a make-up crayon of the same hue/color. You'll use the crayon in between you hair to make it thicker.

The scar should be done with a make-up crayon or paint (with a fine paintbrush). Then you can apply a skin tone foundation on top of your entire face + the scar. Good luck!
Firstly,

Thank you for the very detailed reply!
Yes, was definitely thinking of acrylic paint either a bit watered down and using a comb-on highlight method… or spray (if I can find one). Thing is there are limited options in Finland unfortunately…
My own length is pretty nice for the blend on the top but the temple area is the biggest trouble as my hairline extends from under the wig and is fairly short normally.
I’ll check if I can help that with the styling once my wig head arrives.

IMG_1819.jpeg

The temple area is my biggest concern.

IMG_0489.jpeg

My normal hairstyle for years on end. The cowlicks are a pain in the ass to style, so this is fairly natural with small amount of wax. The sides are 9-10 mm scissor cut for more natural look.

-J

Yes, you'll have to play a game of patience with false hair and bonding glue. You could get some clump of hair, either from the same wig or from another one and cut the amount of hair needed. Use the hair bonding glue on your skin, near your real hair, and apply the false ones.
Try to make it natural and avoid straight lines. These strands, when applied will go, on both sides, over your wig.
It's a game of patience for sure.

If you're willing to spend a little more money, look for a wig that has a lace front. The hair will be hand tied to mesh around the hairline to make it look real.
I’m looking at that possibility as well actually. Haven’t heard back from the online store that I contacted, but hope they will answer next week so I can start putting it all together and planning the weathering process.

-J

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back