ncis props

Sir, I am a New York City Police Officer I know my laws.

Whoever manufactures, sells, or possesses any badge, identification card, or other insignia, of the design prescribed by the head of any department or agency of the United States for use by any officer or employee thereof, or any colorable imitation thereof, or photographs, prints, or in any other manner makes or executes any engraving, photograph, print, or impression in the likeness of any such badge, identification card, or other insignia, or any colorable imitation thereof, except as authorized under regulations made pursuant to law, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

I otherwise wouldn't get involved, but (1) it's very important that hobbists not be mislead and (2) I'm a criminal defense attorney - the words 'I'm a police officer, I know my laws' is ... not entirely consistant with my experience.

The second quote is from 18 U.S.C. § 701. (BTW Officer -- notice in your one post that you said that it is a 'Felony' and in your second you say 'imprisoned not more than six months'. Pursuant to 18 USC § 3559 An offense that is not specifically classified by a letter grade in the section defining it is classified by penalty. Six months or less is not even the highest classification of Misdemeanor, much less a Felony.....)

If you will read on to the end of the chapter, you get to this part:

(b) It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that the
insignia or uniform is other than a counterfeit insignia or uniform
and is not used to mislead or deceive, or is used or is intended to
be used exclusively -
(1) as a memento, or in a collection or exhibit;
(2) for decorative purposes;
(3) for a dramatic presentation, such as a theatrical, film, or
television production; or
(4) for any other recreational purpose.
(c) As used in this section -
(1) the term "genuine police badge" means an official badge
issued by public authority to identify an individual as a law
enforcement officer having police powers;
(2) the term "counterfeit police badge" means an item that so
resembles a police badge that it would deceive an ordinary
individual into believing it was a genuine police badge; and
(3) the term "official insignia or uniform" means an article of
distinctive clothing or insignia, including a badge, emblem or
identification card, that is an indicium of the authority of a
public employee;
(4) the term "public employee" means any officer or employee of
the Federal Government or of a State or local government; and
(5) the term "uniform" means distinctive clothing or other
items of dress, whether real or counterfeit, worn during the
performance of official duties and which identifies the wearer as
a public agency employee.
(d) It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that the
official insignia or uniform is not used or intended to be used to
mislead or deceive, or is a counterfeit insignia or uniform and is
used or is intended to be used exclusively -
(1) for a dramatic presentation, such as a theatrical, film, or
(2) for legitimate law enforcement purposes.

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and not intended to be legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. Nothing posted in this forum is intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. If you require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction

Last edited by a moderator:
That is Federal Law. In New York State one cannot sell an official police uniform, which would consist of a shield, collar insignia, hat badge, and any other part of the uniform.

or is a counterfeit insignia or uniform and is
used or is intended to be used exclusively -
(1) for a dramatic presentation, such as a theatrical, film, or
(2) for legitimate law enforcement purposes
I see most of you guys do not have department issued shields, so they are considered counterfeit.

That is Federal Law. In New York State one cannot sell an official police uniform, which would consist of a shield, collar insignia, hat badge, and any other part of the uniform.

As I'm not a member of the NY bar, I'll take your word for it. Fortunately for me, I'm not within the jurisdictional limits of NY law. Anyone who is in New York state, be advised. (also, y'know, you could've saved people some time and worry if you'd started your post with the words "Here in the State of New York....")

Everyone else, you're strongly advised to be aware of your country, state, territory or local laws. And you can pretty much assume that at the very least, using prop badges or documents in a way that could fool someone in to believing you're presenting yourself as a government official is probably illegal.

Similar concerns arise with prop weapons. And since this is an NCIS thread, and the show comes up with some pretty crazy crime scenes -- prop human body parts can be a concern if you DIY them off of actual humans.

And also, you can still get arrested for a regular police badge. The law says it is a defense to a prosecution. That means that the defense can bring it up. It does not mean you cant get arrested or convicted.

Listen, I like props that is why I am a member. But if something is illegal to possess im going to inform you. As long as that person isn't walking around town saying hes a sheriff deputy im ok with it, only exception is halloween*.

You on the job? I'm just saying that the Federal law restricts replica U.S. badges and id's from civilan use, with the exception of TV and Movies.

in new york they have very strict laws regarding law enforcement memorabilia including props. even nypd cops are prohibited from collecting memorabilia from there agency which is rediculious. hope they get that law changed. there are a few active or retired law enforcement folks on the web site including myself. i have been collecting law enforcement memorabilia for over 20 years. withen the past several years have gotten into collecting what i call cop props from movies and tv shows. it all boils down to common sense. be a responsible collector and don't impersonate a law enforcement officer thats just asking for trouble.

/\

I must admit I giggled a little when I saw most of your items on yourprops.com are official looking imitations of law enforcement insignias, badges, ID's etc :)

Hi

I did my own NCIS ID Card.

hope you like it. :)

NCIS-Ausweis-vorneKopie.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back