NASA ACES suit disconnects

Here's a first go at some polishing.
Bearing ring polished, rest of the assembly had some scotch-brite used on it to clean up some of the machining marks.
As far as I'm concerned it was successful, I will only polish the visible surfaces, seem a bit pointless to polish something that will be covered up.

IMG_1704.jpeg
IMG_1703.jpeg

Yeah, Imgill is reffering to the mounting ring. The OD and ID are the same. From the looks I would also suggest to make the radius larger. Maybe 2x larger than in my model.
The suit / fabric clamp ring, OD. (I can't see the ID)
One thing I have learned from making this hardware, is the edge radii are always larger than they look.

Many Thanks both

I have done some work to make the radius larger as suggested, definitely improved.

IMG_1723.jpeg
IMG_1725.jpeg

Here's some photo showing the installation of the spring and grub screws into the locking tabs, a little fiddly but not as bad as I expected the worst part was tapping the M2 thread in the locking tab, I didn't enjoy doing that, thankfully the parts were all okay.

IMG_1970.jpeg
IMG_1979.jpeg

Step 1 insert the grub screw the place the spring into the slot keeping the grub screw below the surface.
Step 2 slide the locking tab into position with the hole and the grub screw are in line.
Step 3 tighten the grub screw so that the locking tab slides freely and doesn't fowl on the bottom of the slot.

Here from the inside you can just make out the grub screw visible.

IMG_1980.jpeg

Whole setup works really well, once again many thanks to antarusfree for his excellent CAD modelling without whom this wouldn't have been possible.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back