OCSS (Orion Crew Survival System) Suit Build - Getting Started...

S1RDAG0N3T

Hi All, I'm planning a new suit build for 2024, This one is a significant leap in complexity compared to my last spacesuit, hence why I've come here. I've been a long-time lurker on this site, I only recently made an account. Originally I planned this year's suit to be a replica of the xEMU currently being developed by Axiom and Collins, but I figure this might be an easier first step for a relative novice like myself.

I'm looking for resources on this suit, materials, references, diagrams, models, patterns, etc; an hour of googling can only get you so far. I have found (almost) every single 3d model of the suit currently available online, I've found the same sort of development articles as when I was researching the xEMU, it has some insightful technical info, but very little of practical use. From what I can tell, the OCSS is very similar to the shuttle era ACES suit, similar hardware and materials.

I can link the files and papers I've found thus far if anyone is interested, I hope to finish the suit sometime in August.
Thanks for reading.

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 1.14.27 PM.png

Here's a quick Civilian nametag I worked up in Google Drawings, I couldn't figure out the exact font, It's probably Helvetica but I just used Arial. I made gold and silver variants, though I don't quite understand the distinction.

Last edited:
Sourcing the patches is one of the easier steps, i've found many examples of the meatball patches, I'm guessing that the logo on the suit is about 4" and has a well defined blue border, same as the ACES.

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 1.26.28 PM.png

The patches are all held on with velcro, I found a similar reel on amazon.

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 1.37.28 PM.png
The flag is very simple, it just has a white border as opposed to the traditional gold one.

Orange Velcro
Meatball Patch 4"
Artemis Program Patch
USA Flag w/ white border

Last edited:
The shoes present another interesting issue with this project, I cannot find any evidence of these shoes outside of some 3d models and the 2019 demo pictures.
Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 5.53.26 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 5.49.38 PM.png

Of course, searching for "Reebok nasa shoes" yields nothing of relevance.

Has anyone here seen any news about these shoes?
heh, that rhymes.

shot in the dark, since it seems that nobody has actually seen this thread, but I can't for the life of me find the company responsible for building the Orion Suits. The A7L's were made by ILC Dover, the constellation and ACES suits were made by David Clark Company, the EMU was developed (in part) by Hamilton Sunstrand, and the newer xEMU has had versions from Oceaneering, Axiom, Collins Aerospace and ILC Dover.
this is all plainly available, but the Orion suit remains a mystery to me.

Your research looks very good and making suits like these is not easy to say the least. One pro in the film industry and a member here (imgill) has built a lot of those for major Hollywood feature films over the years; PM him, I'm sure he'll offer some tricks of the trade with you.
Keep up the great work:cool::cool:(y)(y)

Your research looks very good and making suits like these is not easy to say the least. One pro in the film industry and a member here (imgill) has built a lot of those for major Hollywood feature films over the years; PM him, I'm sure he'll offer some tricks of the trade with you.
Keep up the great work:cool::cool:(y)(y)
thanks for your kind words, these suits are ludicrously complex, I might try and reach out to imgill, I like the work that Global Effects has done.

Hi All, I'm planning a new suit build for 2024, This one is a significant leap in complexity compared to my last spacesuit, hence why I've come here. I've been a long-time lurker on this site, I only recently made an account. Originally I planned this year's suit to be a replica of the xEMU currently being developed by Axiom and Collins, but I figure this might be an easier first step for a relative novice like myself.

I'm looking for resources on this suit, materials, references, diagrams, models, patterns, etc; an hour of googling can only get you so far. I have found (almost) every single 3d model of the suit currently available online, I've found the same sort of development articles as when I was researching the xEMU, it has some insightful technical info, but very little of practical use. From what I can tell, the OCSS is very similar to the shuttle era ACES suit, similar hardware and materials.

I can link the files and papers I've found thus far if anyone is interested, I hope to finish the suit sometime in August.
Thanks for reading.
I found a few resources now that you mention it; you probably already have these, but here they are anyways:

PDF from 49th International Conference on Environmental Systems ICES-2019-179
7-11 July 2019, Boston, Massachusetts, "Development of a Custom Space Suit for Orion":

A shoe I found that kinda resembles the orion "reeboks":

A shoe I found that kinda resembles the orion "reeboks":
Thank you for the link, those shoes are really close, I'm looking into "sock trainers" now.
The ICES documents have been a tremendous source for info regarding these suits, though the amount of info on the Orion suit pales in comparison to the xEMU.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back