Mythbusters is doing STAR WARS MYTHS ! HELL YES !!!

I agree, but I can't imagine what that would have cost (even a used, trashed one) compared to an armored car. Plus I wouldn't want to give our actual military enimies any ideas if you could easily crush an armored US military vehicle with huge logs.

:lol They aren't that smart. These are guys who will charge a M1A2 Abrams tank in a motorcycle w/sidecar armed with a recoilless rifle (2003 in Iraq, seriously...).

I thought there was an antennae sticking out of the snow mound? I need to go back and watch it again, I don't remember.

To the DVD player! Cue spinning Rebel/Imperial logos like Batman. I'll have to check. It would make sense to insulate your shelter with snow.

True. But if a military vehicle could be crushed with 2 giant logs and any weakness exposed, I doubt the government would want that aired on TV.

It doesn't really since noone would every set up a booby trap like that, in part for the reasons DuneMuadib stated and the other reason being that two giant logs (or anything similar) designed to crush a vehicle in some kind of giant Newton's Cradle is going to be very hard to hide and is going to be very notiecable that you're building and setting it up. Sure, an enemy could set it up deep in a forest or jungle but as a general rule we don't typically operate military vehicles deep in forests and jungles. Besides, there are far more effective ways of destroying armored vehicles than crushing it between two giant, heavy objects, the simplest and most effective being the carefully applied usage of high explosives in form or another.

I agree with all that, but I still gotta think if it was possible to crush a US military vehicle with 2 huge logs the US military wouldn't want that out in the world.

I agree with all that, but I still gotta think if it was possible to crush a US military vehicle with 2 huge logs the US military wouldn't want that out in the world.

It almost certainly is possible to destroy an AFV or APC with 2 big logs, after all their armor is generally not all that thick and often can be penetrated by anything larger than a 7.62 round. Even if it doesn't crush the vehicle like the ATST it would probably do all sorts of other kinds of damage such as damaging optics and various electronics like radios and GPS.

A tank is a different matter entirely but I don't think that even a tank would come out unscathed. Depending on where it's hit you can damage the treads and/or wheels (road & drive) thus immobilizing it, if hit in the turret you could probably knock its aiming optics and sensors out of whack, damage the turret turning mechanisms, knock the turret itself out of whack, damage the gun's gyro stabilization thus rendering incapable of firing accurately on the move, or at the very least you've thrashed the crew's gear hanging on the outside of the vehicle and thus pissing off the crew.

I still agree, but between the cost and the possible perception of US military vehicles, I think using a regular armored car was the best vehicle used.

Definitely agree on an armored car being the best analogue available. There's also the matter of if they used a vintage AFV you'd probably have a lot of people pissed at them for destroying a piece of history but nobody, except for maybe the odd armored car collector, would really care about the destroying an armored car.

Was Adam's pronunciation bugging anyone else? He called Leia "Lee-uh" at one point and kept calling Han "Hehn."
Leia originally started off as "Lee-uh"...
Only General Dodonna used that pronunciation though as I recall. I'm projecting expectations onto Adam based on his working for ILM I suppose.
I think a number of characters in the first film used the long E pronounciation. Didn't Tarkin? And maybe Threepio...? What about Luke?
Possible, I haven't watched the film in ages and Dodonna was the only one that I recall using that pronunciation.

Just had a quick scan through Star Wars (ANH) and everyone in the film says "Lee-uh".....Tarkin, then 3PO & finally Dodonna.....not sure if anyone else said her name
J

The just tried to get all fancy and all as the films went on...! ;)

Leia herself gives us the correct pronunciation, via ESB.

Lando: "Hello.... What have we here? I'm Lando Calrisian. Who might you be?"

Leia: "Leia"

Lando: "Welcome Leia"

The way she pronounces it in that scene is the correct way.

Leia herself gives us the correct pronunciation, via ESB.

Lando: "Hello.... What have we here? I'm Lando Calrisian. Who might you be?"

Lando: "Welcome Leia"

The way she pronounces it in that scene is the correct way.

Ah, but what defines "correct"...? ;)

Its funny, being a child of the 70's (sort of - born in '67), and like many of us being HUGELY hit by the first (and only TRUE) Star Wars film, I read:

As:

(Lee-uh: "Lay-uh")

She'll always be Lee-uh to me!

I can't believe that the pronunciation of "Leia" is being debated in a serious manner by grown adults (even though they are really nine years old inside)! :D

So, can we think of more SW myths for a follow up?

I have a metatextual one I'd love to see: does the co-called Machete Order of watching actually improve the two trilogies?

They could get a gaggle of Star Wars virgins, divide them into three groups, and show them the OT and the PT in production order, episode order, and Machete order, then tally their opinions on the two trilogies and compare.

I have a metatextual one I'd love to see: does the co-called Machete Order of watching actually improve the two trilogies?
Machete_Star_Wars_zps803f6e3b.jpg

Sid Haig was on Star Trek, why wouldn't he watch Star Wars? :)

Attachments

• thereturnofthearchonshd401.jpg
    thereturnofthearchonshd401.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 61
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back