My Luke Skywalker A New Hope Costume

I know what you mean Fifth! haha

I'll take a few shots of the belt and droid caller and post them up when I can.

Heyo,

Thank you! Thing is, when the flash goes off on most cameras the weathering doesn't show up as much. But in person this is quite weathered and definitely dirtied up.

Psab

Its kind of "Bright White"

But maybe that is the look you are going for...

If it was mine (and it isn't) I stick the tunic on the stove with a pot of water and a couple of tea bags for about 20 minutes or so, then wash it.

It won't turn it brown or nothing, but will mute it to an offwhite.

Of course, you can ignore this post too....

Regardless, it looks very good, and its obvious you took your time and paid attention to detail during its making.

Kudos!

Thanks! Yeah I did the tea dye method. In fact I actually brewed some super hot tea and spattered the whole thing to give it that dirty, worn look, and it turned out perfect. Like I said the flash really does make it look a lot cleaner than it is. In person it's really spattered and dirty looking.

Thank you so much! Once I have my updated version of this finished I'll post some more pictures. I've modified the pattern for a better (more accurate) fit.

Here are some quick shots of the pancho. As much as I like it, I've never worn it with the outfit so I've decided I won't make another for my updated outfit as it will likely not get used. But either way I am super pleased with how it turned out, and I think I've gotten as close as I'll ever get to the real thing with this particular part of the costume.

lpancho.jpg
lpancho1.jpg
lpancho2.jpg

Close up of collar opening:
lpancho3.jpg

Close up of corner with corduroy trim detail:
lpancho4.jpg

These are large corduroy ribs in a coffee brown and the main body is a tan sanded twill cotton that drapes really nicely. This pancho is a nice addition to the outfit. The original idea was that if I got cold while trooping in my farmboy costume I could use it to stay warm without compromising the accuracy of the outfit.

Hi. Great work on the costume! I'm trying to put something similar together (although it won't be nearly as nice as I am on a very tight deadline and budget.) I've managed to find information about almost everything that went into the costume other than the triangular pouch. Is that a 'made item' - something that was once produced - and that can [hopefully] be found or referenced? Did you buy yours or make it yourself? Thanks for any help, and please post any updated photos. I was looking forward to seeing how the blast-sheild came out.

Thank you,

I made my triangular pouch. The original was a Dutch WWII ammunition pouch. The following page has more information on the belt (including a link to where you can purchase an accurate reproduction of the Dutch ammo pouch):

http://www.therpf.com/f24/lukes-belt-anh-detail-question-107554/index2.html

I bought one a few months back and it's amazing.

I'm hoping to have this costume complete by year's end. Lightsaber and Blast helmet will likely be next year, as I have so many projects going right now.

But to give you an idea of what I have in mind, here is a picture of my first attempt at the helmet from a kit I got off of ebay:

ebbsh3.jpg

ebbsh2.jpg

ebbsh.jpg

My next version will be another ebay kit, with the face shield by me, along with the assembly, paint and decals.

"with the blas shield down you won't be able to see a thing".....:lol Great work...love the costume..looks like you had a great time, 2 people I'd like to meet...Stan Lee and Mark Hamil...I hear that both are ALWAYS very nice to met in person.

Thank you. Yes they were exactly as you would imagine. Both super nice and very humble. I've been very fortunate that everyone I've met (Carrie Fisher, Ian McDiarmid, Peter Mayhew, Mark Hamill, David Prowse, Stan Lee, and more) have all been very nice.

So for anyone looking to replicate the Luke ANH Pancho accurately, the Rebel Legion forums posted this link in their Luke section: (I'm SO pleased to see that while I didn't get the materials right, I nailed the pattern!)

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/pop-culture/star-wars-a-new-hope-1977mark-hamill-18/3027/

Also for those looking to make the belt, here is a link from the collection of Gus Lopez: (Looks like other than the number of holes in the belt and the D-Ring loops being more squared off, I nailed the belt too! )

Luke Skywalker's Belt - Star Wars Collectors Archive

I've begun construction on my updated version of this costume. I'm just waiting for more fabric to arrive. I'll post pictures as I complete each piece. I did one pass on the trousers but I messed up (and am also learning my new sewing machine). But the upside is that I figured out my problem and also with these new pictures, I can match the costume EXACTLY! The only thing I need to find now is a high resolution shot of the tunic from an auction to nail that piece!

Last edited:
I spent the day making my new Luke ANH Pants. I will post pictures when I can but be warned, this will be pic heavy!

The one area I will be deviating from Screen Accurate with them is by adding integrated suspenders to negate the need for a second pants belt. Other than that they look exactly like the real thing and will only look more accurate when weathered.

I have my Tunic pieces cut out and my belt blank cut out.

But for now, off to bed! I'm whooped.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back