My Life-Size Han Solo In Carbonite Project - 2nd Attempt

I did my light acrylic wash in black and a coat of clear gloss. I tried to take some close-up photos, they suck, but you get the idea.

I'll put another coat of gloss on then start mounting the panels.

HPIM5821.JPG

HPIM5823.JPG

HPIM5816.JPG

HPIM5824.JPG

HPIM5820.JPG

Last edited:
I finally finished the front panel. Put a triple coat of gloss on top and called it done. It was a painstaking process of trying to find the right colors to get the contrast I was looking for, but I have to say I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I beat myself up over the colors, back and forth, but this is pretty much exactly what I hoped for.

HPIM5832.JPG

HPIM5831.JPG

HPIM5828.JPG

The high gloss gray looks good on the cabinet. Pictures really don't do it justice, other than a few blemishes, it looks terrific in person.

Last edited:
I started mounting the panels today. I wanted a way to mount these that wasn't permanent, that way I can take them off if I decide to move it or sell it. I used 1/2" x 3" bolts secured to the back of the panels with 5 minute epoxy putty, stuff is great, hard as a rock. I drilled holes for the bolts into the cabinet and secured them with a fender washer and nut. I also drilled a small hole to feed the wires through.

I added video of the main panel as well so you can see how it looks on the cabinet. I am very pleased with the contrast between the cabinet, side panels, and HIC front panel.

HPIM5837.JPG

HPIM5838.JPG

HPIM5839.JPG

Last edited:
Got a couple things done today, first, I went to the dark side and got an iPhone 4. Walked into an AT&T store and they had 2 left. I took some video with it. I'll give it 30 days, if I don't like it, back to Verizon.

I was able to mount all the panels and wire all the LEDs, looks sort of like Christmas, but all those lights give the illusion something is working in there. One of these days I want to mount this to the wall.

I just need to give this a good wipe down, then add the panel greeblies and I'm done. I brought it inside the house where it is a little cooler.

Here are a few pics and the video. Sorry about the video quality, still trying to work this thing.

HPIM5860.JPG

HPIM5861.JPG

HPIM5858.JPG

HPIM5859.JPG

When watching the video, click the "pop out" button below the video for a larger view.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. you rule. 2. can you give a final cost of everything or a ball park guess.....I want to know how long i have to convince my wife its a good idea

1. you rule. 2. can you give a final cost of everything or a ball park guess.....I want to know how long i have to convince my wife its a good idea

Here's a rough break down as best I can remember:

HIC Front Panel Pieces - $225.00
Side Panels - $250.00
Side Panel Greeblies - $20.00
Wood, screws, glue, wood filler - $80.00
Wood Sealer - $7.00
Side Panel Handles - $9.00
Primer and Spray Paint - $35.00
LEDs - $20.00
LED Switch - $3.00
Cabinet Top and Bottom Details - $10.00

So about $659.00 in actual materials, give or take a few. I saved a little on wood by picking up some of the scrap pieces they had at Lowe's and Home Depot. Wal-Mart also has Krylon on sale right now, I think it's under $3.00 a can.

Trying to finish up the details for the panels. Today I added more of the greeblies and made some water slide decals of the alien symbols. I deviated quite a bit from what's screen accurate, I just eyeballed it and went with what I liked.

I still have a bit of fine tuning to do, a few extra decals and greeblies to add.

HPIM5941.JPG

HPIM5937.JPG

HPIM5942.JPG

HPIM5938.JPG

HPIM5939.JPG

Last edited:
a true work of art, thanks for the tutorial!
even if it´s not 100% screenaccurate this thread found it´s way in my favorite list!

applause.gif

This is so stunning cool - i want to make one, too. :cool

There are only 3 things which keep me on a distance to start it.

- I´m not sure abount the durability of painting rubber Han-pieces.

- where to find the side boxes

- slighly stalled negotiations with my wife regarding the place to display it.
She says "put it in your cinema" - but i would prefer to have it on the wall in my livingroom (just as Jabba did :lol ), cause the cinema is more Trek than SW-themed.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back