Museum Replicas SW costumes

The Obi-Wan was very "meh" in person. It's better than last year but not a ton. I didn't even bother to talk to them, Becca. At this point it won't matter. You could tell them it's wrong but it's not gonna get fixed.

Unfortunately.. The Rebel Legion has not fully made a decision on whether these costumes would be considered "formal" or "informal" . Its hard to judge by pictures as Becca said in a previous post. I know myself as the LMO of the Rebel Legion and Becca along with a bunch of LCJs will be able to see what they bring to D*C. I hope its at the least what they showed at SDCC. To us a lot has to be seen before making a decision like this.

I don't know jack about the Padme costume. But there's nothing on the Obi-Wan that would mean informal to me. It has every feature. Maybe the colors aren't what I'd hoped but it's not missing anything.

if you look at the individual pieces, it seems like their pricing was pulled out of thin air. Some items seem very reasonably prices, while others not so much...But yeah, I'll remain skeptical until I can see the pieces for myself.

Yeah... the Obi costume is way overpriced. All of your custom work and fabrics do not add up to $1300 WITH the boots.

Having mine made for way less then that with fabric as close to the film as possible (this is including the wool robe).

I'm not sure Chris. I wish I saw it in person. That's all. The Obi does looks better to me than the Padme. That much I do know So I agree with you there :)

Yeah... the Obi costume is way overpriced. All of your custom work and fabrics do not add up to $1300 WITH the boots.

Having mine made for way less then that with fabric as close to the film as possible (this is including the wool robe).

Are you kidding? I have probably $2000-2500 in my Obi-Wan ROTS costume and I made the boots myself from a used set of riding boots. If I had bought boots from MC, or Diaz, or Daniel it would be more. I can guarantee it will take you more than $1300 to get the costume right.

Yeah I was just gently trying to say that I would look at them and just nod and smile at them when I approach them in my costumes(which I think are more accurate). I just think it funny that their site says they are doing 17 costumes over 3 years so I can't wait to see what else they do for Padme(they already told us the TPM Amidala stuff is OUT due to intricate costumes, big surprise :p). I already know they don't want our opinions or they would have asked...but the fact that they told us at Dragon that ROTS Obi tunic was peach colored tells me they do not have the same eye we do.....I also think it odd that they are preselling ROTS Anakin online as well but no display at SDCC....very curious.....

The funny thing is, if you read the PR on their site they "supposedly" talked to " knowledgeable fans " about the details. Sounds like more creative BS.:rolleyes I was looking foward to a topline costume manufacturer. Guess I can forget that. I get more accurate stuff from fans.

Oh they did talk to us. I talked to them for several hours during different days on SDCC last year. The thing that was unusual was that they gave me their cards and I emailed after the Con and never heard back.

I spoke to them on several different days at Dragon*Con last year as well(spending a good few hours total) and I, as well, received their card and e-mailed them after with the same response as Chris. I think they are more likely to use the internet to raid our research :p .

They look really cheap to me, that imperial officer looks very thin, the price of the imperial officer is set at the same price as the Padme one assuming they will be more popular and in demand.

GFollano

I'm no SW costuming expert - but I am a fan and I have an avid love for costuming and prop collecting.
I believe it is safe to say that we are finally seeing higher-quality LICENSED SW costumes because of US fans...because over years and years, fans have collaborated and worked hard to replicate thier own costumes and props from SW...and Lucasfilm wants in on that - which I don't blame them at all.
What really gets my goat is how companies like this seem to ignore or don't take seriously the valuable input from fans that are extremely astute to the authenticity of details and accuracy of such products.
This message board alone has dozens of members who can, at a glance, know weather a costume or prop is accurate - and with close scrutinazation, can objectively critique the product and provide some accuracy solutions.
My feeling is; if you're going to do it - especially with a license - do it right! Listen to the fans! Listen to the people who will actually be dropping over a grand on your product! If a license costume sells for $1,000 and is only 97% accurate, yet an UNlicensed costume can be put together for under that price and be 100% accurate, the true costumer and fan will want the unlicensed version almost every time.
I have seen more quality unlicensed props and costumes come from this board and over at A.S.A.P than I have ever seen from all the license holders. Bottom line - RPF needs thier OWN license to start selling!!!

Well, the other side of it the story is that they have to think about affordability. I mean there's going to be peopel reading their catalogue that aren't discerning costumers and just people looking for high end Halloween costumes. If they made it 100% accurate the costumes would be like $5000.

And then we'd probably be complaining about that too. It's a tough road. I wouldn't want to try and do it.

Keep in mind they don't answer to fans, but because of stipulations of the license, they answer to LucasFilms. Just like Don Post, there could be other forces stopping complete and total accuracy. Boss is first, fans second. I wish it were different.

I had the employees at the booth lifting up the Padme dress to show me the underskirt, seams, and shoes. It looks like it was decently made. I didn't want to admit it was good at first, but it actually seemed fine to me. As good as fanatical costumer might make? Probably not, but I think it was a very good price for what they're offering. The beadwork and embroidery up close were very nice. I asked if the headpiece was coming and the guy at the booth said it was being worked on in India at the moment. So it should be coming.

I don't know enough about the other costumes to know if they were accurate but I was definately impressed at how much better they are than anything else I've seen licensed yet.

Yeah, I didn't want to admit the Obi-Wan was good either. It's actually a pretty nice ensemble for the price. The robe is probably the best part. Being that it is a thick wool twill for a good price. It offers Jedi costumers, not just OWK guys, a good, easy-to-buy wool robe in a nice fabric.

My only concern was with the colors. The tunics seem too yellow to me and the boots are too cognac and not red enough. I was really hoping the boots would be better as OWK costumers always need good boot alternatives.

Part of what threw me about the Obi-Wan ensemble was that the tunic fabric looked really wrinkley. Not crinkled like the screen used fabric. More like it had been in a bag and taken out and put on the manequin. The fabric itself is a nice try at the thick fiber/loose weave of the screen used fabric. But it lacks the crinkle grain. It's close but nothing to scream about. Looks about the same as people I've seen who've used bubble gauze.

All in all, a nice set for the price. Especially for head to toe with a stunt lightsaber hilt.

I can't speak on the rest. The Imperial Officer didn't look cheap and thin in real life. Looked fine to me. I just think $475 without boots is too high a price. I had expected less. I think they told me $500 with boots last year. I had figured maybe $350 without.

With Museum Replicas, it will really come down to what the final products look like. I think the prototypes are mediocre at best compared to what the fans can make for the same $$$, but MR has a nasty habit of making pretty nice prototypes and very poor production pieces. If they can keep the quality at the prototype level they will likely find a niche market, but if they go the usual ultra-cheap route for production (which is what I expect them to do), all this discussion about the quality of the prototypes will be moot. Guess we won't truly know until someone has the final product in hand.

They did that to me last year.
Heres our card, we hope to talk with you some more. I contacted them and never heard back.

Oh they did talk to us. I talked to them for several hours during different days on SDCC last year. The thing that was unusual was that they gave me their cards and I emailed after the Con and never heard back.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back