MR Leia Pistol Disassembly

Must be some thing wrong with my memory, because the MR version looks identical to the Bobadebt version. What are the differences?

The spacing gets tighter between each taper ring towards the back - which is wrong because they're all supposed to be the same. Also it's just overall too big, but that's because they scaled it to the muzzle which is also wrong (too big, wrong Margolin variation).

Here's what the gun blue will get you - a big turd. I don't know if it is because my gun blue is two years old or what, but it mainly turned it brown with a lot of variation.

leia30z.jpg

I sanded one side which looked better, but still way too much variation.

leia31z.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I meant. I wish that stuff were more uniform in it's coverage. :(

Trust me, it looks worse in person. :) I'd also have a heck of a time trying to get the barrel to match with paint.

The spacing gets tighter between each taper ring towards the back - which is wrong because they're all supposed to be the same. Also it's just overall too big, but that's because they scaled it to the muzzle which is also wrong (too big, wrong Margolin variation).

I double checked the references and you're right. Blast it!
Another inaccurate, licensed prop. :unsure

They were probably in a rush to get these out there and didn't do enough research. If any one is interested in an accurate, resin copy of that grill, please send me a pm. I'll consider it if I get enough interest.

Here's what the gun blue will get you - a big turd. I don't know if it is because my gun blue is two years old or what, but it mainly turned it brown with a lot of variation.

leia30.jpg

I sanded one side which looked better, but still way too much variation.

leia31.jpg

Doesn´t look bad at all...have you used any degreaser or acetone before you blued it?
Just give the whole thing some additional coats of blueing compound...it might add up, then polish it and use some weapons oil.

Even if not 100% uniform black/ blued, it´ll look a LOT better than before :thumbsup

Markus

I sanded it and buffed it with a brass wire dremel wheel. Then I cleaned it with acitone. I used the super blue first after warming the metal with a heat gun. Then I sanded one side just for kicks. After I took the pic above, I used some regular blue and it got patchy and brown in places. Some areas of the gun just seem to be resistant to the bluing. There is also the issue of the aluminum barrel which will not blue at all. It was a good experiment. Doesn't give me hope for my Blade Runner blaster which has been waiting for me to finish it.

I think the gun above would be good for a beat up, heavily weathered version, but I want a cleaner version worthy of a princess or a farmboy who got the big head because he blew up a space station the size of a small moon.

Not yet. I had to take a break from it and work on some other stuff. I have less paint than I thought and without a hobby store close by, I can't experiment with different brands/types either. I have some Testors gunmetal that is about 10 yrs old. Lol! I might try that.

This is brave clutch. I am staring at my wifes MR and wondering how long it would be before she clobbers me if I touch it.

Like numerous other projects of mine, it fell by the wayside. I remember being very disappointed with the way the cheap metal took to the bluing (it actually turned brown) and realized that it would have to be painted. I still have the parts. Even more accurate ones now thanks to the newly discovered Tomtit bits. I've currently got my feelers out for an accurate flash hider...

anyone know where i can get that flashhider , or someone is selling it as a machined part? (or have some specs/measurement )

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back