Moebius Space Pod Kit Announced

owning both this and the 1/12 atomic city resin kit, i am underwhelmed by this one... not saying the atomic city is fantastic, but i had higher expectations for this one, being that it is injection molded, etc...

Coupla points about the review. The arms are not "floppy"--they apparently were on the test shots but the actual kit arms are made with pressure joints that will keep them in the position you want them in. I too wish the black parts could have been molded separately but they are actually easier to mask than you indicate--the area where the black "combs" meet up with the central ball of the earmuffs is actually a curved line against the ball so you're not masking each triangular face of the comb as it meets the ball. And the white plastic of the interior control panel actually transmits light quite well and helps give interior lighting a good scale effect--I always spray clear parts with white paint to diffuse the light anyway and this actually saves me that step. The photos I've seen of the interior lit up so far look great.

Coupla points about the review. The arms are not "floppy"--they apparently were on the test shots but the actual kit arms are made with pressure joints that will keep them in the position you want them in. I too wish the black parts could have been molded separately but they are actually easier to mask than you indicate--the area where the black "combs" meet up with the central ball of the earmuffs is actually a curved line against the ball so you're not masking each triangular face of the comb as it meets the ball. And the white plastic of the interior control panel actually transmits light quite well and helps give interior lighting a good scale effect--I always spray clear parts with white paint to diffuse the light anyway and this actually saves me that step. The photos I've seen of the interior lit up so far look great.

Hi, and thanks for the comments on my review. Appreciated!

- I found my dry fit of the arms didn't fit together very tightly or in position. But I've pulled that comment off the review until I can test further again.
- I've rewritten the section on the black bits to be a bit more clear. The movie props seemed to have a recessed area, and so it's true you could simulate that with a curved black section on the sphere. But it's still fiddly work, especially around the window opening.
- I don't entirely agree about lighting the white plastic. I find it soaks up a lot of light - more than translucent plastic would have. Plus the way it soaks up light is uneven, due to the open space in each "bar" of lights. It's true that clear plastic should be slightly diffused, but that's something that's actually doable. You can't make the semi-opaque white more translucent. Anyway. It is what it is. At least it's not black plastic or something. :)

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Got it:)!! Here's a comparo between the 1/6th studio scale I'd built and the 1/8th scale.

cimg2588.jpg

owning both this and the 1/12 atomic city resin kit, i am underwhelmed by this one... not saying the atomic city is fantastic, but i had higher expectations for this one, being that it is injection molded, etc...

I finally placed a deposit on one, could you elaborate on your underwhelmness of the kit? What parts were a disappointment so I can look out for those?

Thank you

I have the kit (starting to work on it), btw; should I start a new thread with my build, or do we keep the same thread here and each member post their build, with their tricks/challenges for everybody to share?
I don't see the probs with the kit itself...since I don't have access to pics of the original model, I think that it's very good for the price.
Crisp pieces, the fitting is very good also and since I've seen my load of garage kit and others nightmares, this one is an A- for me(y)

I finally placed a deposit on one, could you elaborate on your underwhelmness of the kit? What parts were a disappointment so I can look out for those?

Thank you

basically for $150-$180, i expected something with much crisper detail... and with all of the detail in the kit, not a basic kit, waiting for a fleet of after market detail upgrades.

I am also curious when moebius will be announcing a 1/8 astronaut figure or figures, to complement/complete this... (again, a detail that came with the 1/12 resin kit from atomic city)

Astronaut model designer extraordinaire Max Grüter has announced his intention to release a 3D printed model of an astronaut for the pod. Note that it won't be 1:8, however, because the interior of the pod is not to the same scale as the exterior!

I find gloss white quite difficult to get a consistent finish, anyone have experience with matt white and a gloss varnish over the top?

Not tried it myself.

The interior not the same scale is quite disturbing

Glossy white, or any other color for that matter, is difficult to achieve without the proper spray booth and appropriate spray gun (airbrush will not work on such big area because of the over spray). You'll have to literally suck that over spray to make sure it doesn't land on your already sprayed surface...that's the key. Matt is not a problem with over spray;)
Talking interior: the matt varnish reacted with the surface of the decals:eek::eek: as you can see, it's cloudy in certain area. It's been more than 48 hours since the last coat; I'll try again and see how it goes:unsure:

cimg2604.jpg

cimg2602.jpg

I find gloss white quite difficult to get a consistent finish, anyone have experience with matt white and a gloss varnish over the top?

Not tried it myself.

The interior not the same scale is quite disturbing

The movie pods weren’t gloss though. If you look at the images carefully they weren’t painted to a high sheen.

Regarding the interior issue, it’s the same as any other movie set problem. The Millennium Falcon is the same - the interiors were built to a different scale than the exteriors. As a model maker it’s impossible to reconcile this discrepancy - you have to make a scale judgement call and compromise somewhere. I think Moebius made the right decision in this context.

ahh right, it looks more satin in the screenshots, i thought they were gloss, thanks.

the satin sheen probably means that they were left the raw fiberglass gelcote. you can find "satin" colors in spray paint, and they do an effective job of imitating fiberglass gelcote.

Yep, I think the interior is, so far, the best out there. Unless, someone makes a 1/6 scale with a better sized interior (which the model didn't have btw), this one will do for now.

Alright, another update on the EVA Pod. Note to self: the decals are a pain in the rear
icon_rolleyes.gif
all those little slots to fit over the buttons are a little too small, therefore the decals have to be cut by hand, one by one to make sure they fit and...now they become more fragile
icon_eek.gif
. I covered all of the interior instruments with aluminium tape (I'll do that for the roof also). I haven't secure the entire instrument panel to the main body; the sides are to be affixed and blocked with alu also, then, the lighting.

cimg2611.jpg

cimg2610.jpg

cimg2609.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back