Moebius Battlestar Galactica. The old one!

Alright Mr. edge10, I believe I got it a little closer. Tore the whole thing back apart and crossed my fangers. It took awhile, but the hold up has mainly been to finish the other side, which I hadn't done yet and to add the details where I asked for that reference help a few posts back.

Tell me what y'all think now?

DSCN0559.jpg
DSCN0560.jpg
DSCN0561.jpg
DSCN0562.jpg
DSCN0564a.jpg
DSCN0565.jpg
DSCN0566.jpg
DSCN0567.jpg
DSCN0568.jpg

And here's the same picture of the gaps with the old picture cut off and the new one sized and aligned until I had it as close as I could.

gaps1.jpg

Now, if y'all was paying attention, you'll notice I put different track links all over the place. These are a more accurate British Centurion track like the original. These came from that VESPID Centurion from China I picked up a few weeks ago. That kit at 1/76th is still way too big, so every tank link you see has been cut 4 different cuts and glued together. That's the best I can do. I have also made the entire engine section separate along the seam of the original model kit to prepare for being able to take it apart when it's finished, should that need arise.

Alright. Y'all let me have it!

Rob.

Not sure how you feel about the Cylons but JPG Productions makes a deformed Cylon Raider that would be a good pairing with this fun little Viper. I have one myself and it is a nice little resin kit with pretty decent detail. Here is a link to his FB page;

Here are a few shots of the kit I have;

And here's the one I just got.

DSCN0571.jpg

DSCN0572.jpg

DSCN0573.jpg

DSCN0574.jpg

He also sent me one of these:

DSCN0570.jpg

DSCN0576.jpg

DSCN0577.jpg

I like that one more than the Cylon Raider!

Rob.

Earlier it was mentioned that some wanted to see the comparison between the Moebius kits of the Viper and Raider.

Here that is for anyone interested.

Here's the 4 we'll compare:

DSCN0540.jpg

DSCN0545.jpg

First up is the REVELL Cylon Raider:

DSCN0547.jpg

Here's the Moebius version. MUCH larger than the REVELL. It actually took up the entire area I had for pictures. When you open the box, the hull alone is the size of the box with many more parts than the REVELL:

DSCN0546.jpg

DSCN0549.jpg

DSCN0550.jpg

DSCN0548.jpg

DSCN0551.jpg

There is much less difference in the Viper examples. First, the REVELL:

DSCN0554.jpg

Not any significant size difference in the Moebius, just more parts:

DSCN0552.jpg

Here's some direct part on part size comparisons:

DSCN0553.jpg

Here, finally, is an example of the REVELL Basestar:

DSCN0555.jpg

DSCN0556.jpg

DSCN0557.jpg

DSCN0558.jpg

There they is!

Rob.

Nice! Great comparisons

The 30th anniversary kits were cool because they added new parts like clear engine inserts for the Cylon Raider, and a full cockpit for the Viper, plus additional core detail for the Basestar

Those original Monogram/Revell kits were actually fairly decent kits

While a have a soft spot for he old Revell Cylon Raider, the Moebius one i so much better, and actually in scale with the Viper

Very cool to see how much bigger it is

Also did not realize there was such a difference in length between the Moebius uselage and the Revell/Monogram one.

I wonder which is more accurate?

I wonder which is more accurate?

I would think the Moebius, but only due to the details being more defined, if that makes sense? I would think that longer nose, since everything else seems almost identical dimensions, was there for a reason? I ain't no expert though, somebody else may chime in for us.

You certainly can't go wrong with either Viper. Which ever you find cheap, grab one.

The Moebius Raider wins. Period.

Now, what was everybody's gripe with that Basestar? It needs space between the lids or it doesn't? This one doesn't, so I'm assuming it does? This is all hurtin' the BB that hasn't rolled outta my head yet..

If I remember correctly, the Moebius Viper is modeled after the full scale mock-up, not the miniature. I think the general consensus was, it was not so good, due to that fact. You're mileage may vary.

If I remember correctly, the Moebius Viper is modeled after the full scale mock-up, not the miniature. I think the general consensus was, it was not so good, due to that fact. You're mileage may vary.

I think that is it

It's funny because I would have thought the opposite. Usually full size mock-up tend to be shorter/smaller since they usually are filmed from certain angles or in parts ad it saves building cost/space needed but I also have no real knowledge on that subject matter in regards to difference between filming model and set for the Viper

Though I know the Moebius kit di for example use some of the full size mock-up details like the rivets on the canopy frames so that probably carried over to other areas as well

I have seen builds where people combine the Revell and Moebius kit but can't say exactly which parts are more accurate to the filming model

For me personally, just going by looks, I'd say the Moebius would be my choice due to having scribed panel lines and wat looks like crisper details. Plus it has landing gear

Also regarding the Revell kits, I think the Base Star was the most accurate of the suite of kits as it was pantographed off the filming miniature.

Supposedly when planning the 30th Anniversay kits, the Galactica was dropped since it required so many retooling of major parts to make accurate that they might as well just make a new kit at that point

Here are a few shots of the kit I have

Mr 19narvik40,

Did you get a base shaped like an egg? In the picture on Jimi's page, it shows an egg base and I didn't get nary a one?

See, right here:

334097835_6055955301114319_2875373331285196866_n.jpg

Just thought I would ask, since I know you got one too. I ain't gone keep buggin' you either, just this one tiny question.

Rob.

Mr 19narvik40,

Did you get a base shaped like an egg? In the picture on Jimi's page, it shows an egg base and I didn't get nary a one?

See, right here:

View attachment 1687513

Just thought I would ask, since I know you got one too. I ain't gone keep buggin' you either, just this one tiny question.

Rob.
I didn't get one of those either, my guess is Jimi may have added that base to later issues. You should give him a shout and see if you can get one of those bases from him. As for bugging me, please feel free to do as many times as needed. It is no problem for me.

Concerning the Viper... before his untimely passing several years ago, a modeler from the Starship Modeler message boards was starting a comparison work-up of the the 1978 Viper differences; he only ever showed the one pic he's assembled:

bluesman_Justin 001.jpg

Also unless i am mistaken, the studio FX model actually has a slightly longer fuselage/nose bur the fuselage looks taller/fatter?

That is the one I have. I have the Y-wing as well, he did a great job on both.

Mr. 19narvik40, I got the Egg-Star.

While I gotcha on the horn, have you started your Yolk-Wing yet?

I've started just a little in between working on the Galactica. I'm not sure how you feel about it, but I decided I wasn't tickled with the original canopy and have made me another one.

Here's what came with mine:

DSCN0583.jpg
DSCN0584.jpg
DSCN0585.jpg
DSCN0586.jpg

I know it's suppose to be a TOON Y-Wing, but I wanted a little more "standard" of a cockpit. Y'all may think I shoulda left it, but personally, I like it a little better. I also found a few studio Y-Wings on the web, picked one and scribed a few lines on mine just to break up the all slick surface. It came out alright:

DSCN0578.jpg
DSCN0579.jpg
DSCN0580.jpg
DSCN0581.jpg
DSCN0582.jpg

I also plan to add some Torp Tubes.

Rob.

Mr. 19narvik40, I got the Egg-Star.

While I gotcha on the horn, have you started your Yolk-Wing yet?

I've started just a little in between working on the Galactica. I'm not sure how you feel about it, but I decided I wasn't tickled with the original canopy and have made me another one.

Here's what came with mine:

View attachment 1690653View attachment 1690654View attachment 1690655View attachment 1690657

I know it's suppose to be a TOON Y-Wing, but I wanted a little more "standard" of a cockpit. Y'all may think I shoulda left it, but personally, I like it a little better. I also found a few studio Y-Wings on the web, picked one and scribed a few lines on mine just to break up the all slick surface. It came out alright:

View attachment 1690659View attachment 1690660View attachment 1690661View attachment 1690662View attachment 1690663

I also plan to add some Torp Tubes.

Rob.
Rob,

The Y-egg is way, way down the build list and I haven't given it much of a looky see. I like what you have done and hopefully will remember this once I go to build mine.

Rob,

The Y-egg is way, way down the build list and I haven't given it much of a looky see. I like what you have done and hopefully will remember this once I go to build mine.

Ah cool. Didn't go to bother you about it, you was just the only other fella that I know has one.

:unsure:

Rob.

Ok, not one of y'all even ASKED if I was kidnapped, locked up, dead or nothin'. Stop posting modeling stuff on a modeling forum and I'm just forgot about? I hope y'all are all happy with yourselves.

:rolleyes:

Rob.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back