Mike Salzo 37.5 TOS BSG ?

As a general rule i do not use mold release on any of my kits, which shortens the mold life but does not make my parts greasy for you guys.

I do however use a mold release on the galactica because of the level of details.

However, on that note, I use a paintable mold release, a bit more expensive but again it's not greasy.

I did not clean my kit and had no paint problems.

If you feel like you still want to wash your parts just be sure that you do not go over board with the soap, I am convinced that the soap if not used sparingly may actually make a film that is harder to paint over than if you had just left the parts alone.

I have had some greasy mold release loaded kits, mostly from the 90's and from Japan, that almost nothing would get the mold release off of, which is why I generally avoid it all together.

mike

As a general rule i do not use mold release on any of my kits, which shortens the mold life but does not make my parts greasy for you guys.

I do however use a mold release on the galactica because of the level of details.

However, on that note, I use a paintable mold release, a bit more expensive but again it's not greasy.

I did not clean my kit and had no paint problems.

If you feel like you still want to wash your parts just be sure that you do not go over board with the soap, I am convinced that the soap if not used sparingly may actually make a film that is harder to paint over than if you had just left the parts alone.

I have had some greasy mold release loaded kits, mostly from the 90's and from Japan, that almost nothing would get the mold release off of, which is why I generally avoid it all together.

mike

Thank You Mike I will take your advice and go with your method..

Clarence

Hello Mike and robiwon,I need to ask you a question regarding the landing bay arms on how did you bolt them down,what did you use for bolts and what size and did you have to pre-drill a pilot hole for them?Also did you drill a hole in one of the arms to run wires for lighting on the landing bays?

Thanks
Clarence

I just received my kit. Great casting!!!

Any chance for an 'official' set of instructions? There are lots of small pieces and I can't tell where they all go, even with the pics.

Robiwon, have you started the lighting yet, I'd love to know how you are doing it.

Thanks,

Ken

Congrats on getting your kit Tordoc! Yes, it has lots of little parts. Most however Mike says are there just for adding surface detail. Some do have their specific spots on the model though. I would suggest studying the 6 footer pics over on Modelers, Miniatures and Magic site.

I have to finish a project for another member here before I get to this.

I still do really want to do a more definitive set of instructions, I think i may hold any new orders in the month of August so that i can finally catch up on a small backlog of stuff and maybe even start those instructions. I don't have mine anymore so it would be good to get one for myself.

As for the bolts, I used 1/4-20x 1inch. You need to drill the holes 7/32 and "tap" the resin by forwarding the bolt thru the resin then backing it off. When it comes time to bolt on the landing bays the resin will be threaded. After a couple of practice runs to check that the landing bays were square with the body I put some 5 minute expoxy on and bolted them down for good. If your worried 5 minutes is not enough time then use like the 30 minute epoxy.

I still do really want to do a more definitive set of instructions, I think i may hold any new orders in the month of August so that i can finally catch up on a small backlog of stuff and maybe even start those instructions. I don't have mine anymore so it would be good to get one for myself.

As for the bolts, I used 1/4-20x 1inch. You need to drill the holes 7/32 and "tap" the resin by forwarding the bolt thru the resin then backing it off. When it comes time to bolt on the landing bays the resin will be threaded. After a couple of practice runs to check that the landing bays were square with the body I put some 5 minute expoxy on and bolted them down for good. If your worried 5 minutes is not enough time then use like the 30 minute epoxy.

Thank You Mike for the info it is greatly appreciated..

Clarence

Question for my fellow TOS BSG builders has anyone thought of using a 1/4 threaded rods on both sides the length of the BSG vs using just nuts and bolts?

Clarence

Been following all the builds I can find as I love stealing good ideas (and share anything I come up with). Have you seen this one http://www.shipschematics.net/bsg_build/

I am picking up some more materials tonight and will be doing a build of a fully articulated arm to aid is assembly and painting. I took the linked guy at heart and think his statement
I wanted to get it off the table as soon as possible, with the intent of preserving the surface detail. Too much sliding around on a surface, even the soft cutting mat, may wear down some greebles and I didn't want to take that chance."
is a good idea. I will also provide an arduino controlled open source IR control system with music and sound effects, landing bay running lights, and various engine effects a little later down the road.

Yep, that was the build that used the full length threaded rod I was thinking of. Sadly, he has not updated his build in a long time...

Hello everyone I need some help,Mike the maker of the BSG had posted what was need to use for bolts on the BSG and there is one certain bolt I can not find in my area,here is the list of bolts Mike had posted to use to bolt the BSG together..

A small list of recommended building supplies.

4x 1/4-20 x 1 inch bolts for the landing bay to arm connections.
2x 1/4-20 x 1 1/2 inch bolts + washer and nut combo for neck to body connections.
2x 1/4-20 x 3 1/2 inches + nut and washer combo for main body to engine support connection.

This is one I can not find at any of my hardware stores around me
, 2x 1/4-20 x 3 1/2 inches + nut and washer combo for main body to engine support connection.what can I use to replace this size bolt?

Clarence

The lengths are etched in stone. Just go for the next longest bolt. Again, this is based on how thick the wood blocks are used in these areas. I would go longer than shorter to be on the safe side.

Yeah if you can find a 4 inch that should be fine, there should be a 1/2 inch of room in there.

I am almost done with the list, then i can try to find some time to cast myself up another kit for build 2.
thanks
mike\

Yeah if you can find a 4 inch that should be fine, there should be a 1/2 inch of room in there.

I am almost done with the list, then i can try to find some time to cast myself up another kit for build 2.
thanks
mike\

Thanks Mike and robiwon I will go with the 4 inch ones as 3 1/2 I can not find anywhere around me..

Clarence

thanks
mike\

Hello Mike any word on when you have that list to post?

By the way I finally got all the bolts you posted my cousin who lives just across the road from me runs his own mechanic shop had what I needed ,now I just need to figure what I need to get for lighting..

Clarence

Hello I'm very interested in buying one of these wonderful kits of the Salzo 37.5 TSO BSG kits any help I would greatly thank you

Ive been building models about all my life love predator figures,an all sifi stuff always loved the galactica model. I just need all the info on getting one of these kits it seems like it would be a great project.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back