MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Or is there a easier way of getting our boards more screen accurate? Has someone created a template we can just print out and cut and paste over the board's one?

How moddable is that bottom battery box? Am thinking it needs a kill switch for the sound fx.

Mine arrives tomorrow.

Edit: Answered my own question, link to a post with a picture of the bottom taken apart. link
Bad news for those wishing to modify the magnet plates on the bottom of the boards; as previously reported, the plates themselves are not molded into the pink plastic: they are removable....

I am going to need to take the main body apart as the battery housing doesn't have enough room.

Last edited:
Flawed application is my biggest worry (air bubbles, creases, misalignments the scotch tape) a replacement sticker would solve those cosmetic issues (if applied correctly of course).

I am willing to print my own but I'm afraid the quality won't be very good. It needs to look good and stay in place for a long period of time.

We need some quality aftermarket decals offered here. That would be nice.

:lol Good one.

Bazinga! I thought that was pretty funny.

I'm torn whether or not to mod mine. Who knows, it may become well sought after someday:facepalm. I'm thinking mine will come today, if not then tomorrow. I'll see how (dis)satisfied I am with it.

Any mod I would do to it, I want to be reversable in case I end up selling it. I wonder if the existing stickers can come off easily without tearing or stretching, then be reapplied years/weeks later?

In no way should Bob Gale take responsibility for the outright lies that Mattycollector and Scott Neitlich told the fans, customers and collectors to sell their sub-par attempt at a "Screen-Accurate" Hoverboard Prop Replica!

I have a strong feeling Mattel WILL address the issues now. When a bunch of fans complain, that is one thing... And they honestly don't give a crap, but when Bob Gale, one of the men behind Bttf actually calls them out for shoddy work.... They will be embarrassed. They know dissapointing Bob could affect their name an possible future collaborations.

I'm sure Bob felt the need to separate himself from Mattel having reviewed the board they delivered. It's also great that he is a paying customer in this case so despite owning a couple of originals, is very much in the same category as the rest of us fans.

Maybe he will take some comparison shots.

I expect comparison shots shortly from an owner of a production board. He's just waiting for his MattyBoard to show up.

I've re-read Bob's letter and it's very well written and gets to the point. Sadly, it also acknowledges that people who could have done something earlier in the process with Mattel DIDN'T, because they viewed the earlier comments and criticisms as merely sour grapes from a few disgruntled fans.

I'm really hoping that this is a lesson learned by everyone and whatever happens next in the BTTF Hobby doesn't suffer the same shortcomings.

-Gary

And remember, it's not just the product itself that defines this debacle. It's the communication.

Take a look at the mattycollector forum. Scott goes weeks ignoring people's comments, and then posts rude, condescending replies and says that responding on the forum isn't part of his job. Fine, if it is a fan forum meant for fans to discuss products among themselves. But the mattycollector forums are specifically meant for Mattel staff to respond to inquiries. NO ONE except Mattel staff have the ability to respond to the initial thread post.

Also, we all know the deceptive advertising that happened on the front end with this product—promises of "screen accuracy", that it would be "perfect", have "real lenticular" and such, coupled with the fact that they used pics of an actual screen-used photo board on the advertising since they didn't have a real prop yet.

THEN, once it became obvious all was not well, Scott LIED about how far the board was from being finalized, saying the inaccurate board shown in the summer was "so far from final" even though it was 98% what Mattel released.

I just can't believe that guy still has a job. How badly do you have to do your job over there to be shown the door?

I just can't believe that guy still has a job. How badly do you have to do your job over there to be shown the door?

Because in the end it might not have been him who messed things up completely.
I truly think that he meant it when he said "so far from final".
As disappointed as I am, I still think that the final decisions were not in his power, which is why he has been avoiding the issue since. However, this doesn`t change the fact that hearing his name makes me feel disappointed and betrayed...

Bob Gale is awesome. He lives for the fans and I'm sure did his best at the meeting, and now he tells his truth (and our truth) to the fans.
Thanks, Bob, for that letter. You deserve all respect from us. Mattel doesn't.

I'm still not clear on what took place over there despite keeping up with this thread. I understand that the Mattel team on the project was downsized or replaced entirely. I saw one of their early versions at the Delorean Car Show this year, but brought by the hotwheels designer? Did he work on it or was he just going already?

Either way, you'd think Mattel could have handled replicating the lenticular. Like they couldn't have gone shower curtain shopping. I wonder how much the boards actually cost them to manufacture.

Has anyone stood on there board? Also I keep hearing about boards with horrible sticker flaws ( creases, bubbles, not attatched) if I get mine and its messed up can you return it for a different one or are you SOL?

Has anyone tried standing on it, I know they say not to, but can it support human weight. I want to stand on it so bad but I dont want to crush it. (FYI I weight about 220)

I know you are not supposed to do this but has anyone attempted to stand on there hoverboard?

Has anyone stood on there board yet?

I give him less than 24 more hours before he just jumps on the thing whether someone answers him or not...

So guys whats looking like the correct lenticular to go with????

There are two suppliers of the 3D lenticular material: Sommer's Plastics (who made it for the film), and Rowtec. Neither are willing to supply the correct material in the correct color in limited quantities, so here are the possibilities:

1) Clock88 has received some silvery purplish pinkish solid polycarbonate lenticular material that looks 99%, if not 100% accurate in color, but at this point in time he is not offering it for sale. At this point he has not stated whether he agreed to pay Sommer's or Rowtec an exhorbitant price to receive samples made to specific color requests, vs. making direct contact with a supplier in China and getting them to custom print samples of increasing accuracy until he got the final color nailed down.

However, he had mentioned that it would be expensive, costing several to many times what the less accurate options below cost. Also, the rows of lenticular cells run in the wrong direction, which impacts the material's desirability considering its high price.

2) Phillipes has recently offered some transparent light purple/lavendar lenticular material that, when applied over a white or reflective aluminum base, looks 90% correct to the lavender color seen on film. He may still have some left. Be aware that this material is a softer plastic compound, likely PVC, than the more accurate polycarbonate material. The original manufacturer of his material has not been specified.

Also, the rows of honeycomb lenticular cells runs in a different direction than those seen on the "money shot" board, though it's possible that all of the lenticular boards had the material applied in random orientations, making row direction irrelevant.

3) Rowtec has three Rowlux Illusion material options that can be used, though they are all of the 3D "sinking" effect, as opposed to the 3D "floating" effect that some have claimed is more accurate (though no definitive evidence has been presented for this claim).

The first is their transparent polycarbonate chrome red color, a dull pink color that looks about 85% correct if applied over a very light gray or reflective aluminum base. The final color will be a bit pinker, and not quite a light purple, as the actual board. This material is available in smaller quantities, but a minimum order is still required (I think $300 worth).

4) Rowtec also makes a hot pink lenticular (called "Passion Pink") which is more of a fuschia. But under any but the brightest lighting conditions, this color usually appears too dark and saturated. Also, it is a special order color that, like Chrome Red, has a minimum order quantity.

5) Lastly, Rowtec makes a Clear 3D sinking Illusion material, and if applied over a light lavender base, looks 90% accurate when viewed from directly overhead. When viewed at a more oblique angle, the base color isn't as visible and looks a bit washed out. However, you can obtain this material from several re-sellers with no minimum order quantity.

Hope this helps in determining the best option for you.

Last edited:
It can hold close to 200 lbs. I figured **** it and stood on mine. The extra 24lbs may put you over though. It is solid, sturdy plastic.

For NASA, being rated at 200 lbs means it can actually hold closer to 300. That said, based on Mattel's current coefficient of overpromisation with this project, 200 lbs probably equates to 125.

Final verdict Kyle: when you stand on it the cracking sound you hear may be more than the sound of Mattel's broken promises...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back