MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Bob Gale is amazing, the best thing about his criticism is that Mattel should once and for all realize that they f#*%ed up this project and it`s not only "nerds" complaining.

Thank you Bob Gale!

Has anyone tried standing on it, I know they say not to, but can it support human weight. I want to stand on it so bad but I dont want to crush it. (FYI I weight about 220)

I really respect Bob Gale for coming out at this early time and speaking out about the Matty hoverboard. It says a lot about his respect for the franchise and fans, and also says a lot about the mess Mattel has made of this whole thing.

Oh no! Bob doesn't need to apologize, it's the effing marketing and second design team who should get slapped in the face with those inferior hoverboards and they should apologize. Bob was so kind to make sure that the hoverboard is soo accurate as the hero version. Can someone point him to theRPF here and give him a summary?

Oh no! Bob doesn't need to apologize

That`s absolutely true but he knew that this was the only way to make the criticism heard and leave no option for Mattel to blame someone else. I am sure he is even more disappointed in the final hoverboard than most of the people here.

The way he played this, Mattel can only look bad.

If Bob just complained and only blamed Mattel for not giving him updates, they could have said that he could have played a more active part in the process of developing the board.

Smart move indeed from him. Thanks again!

2. TECHNICALLY whatever Mattel makes is "canon." This may sound like a huge, huge stretch, but if hoverboard technology WERE real by 2012 and Mattel had the patent for it, THIS is how the shell of their boards would look. Right? RIGHT?!!

Did Mattel design the hover boards for the movie?

I know you are not supposed to do this but has anyone attempted to stand on there hoverboard?

I am still looking forward to getting mine in the mail. This is one of those things i have wanted ever since I was a kid. This and proton pack. Hopfully my proton pack will turn out a lot more movie accurate.

The hover board debacle now is officially is beyond a few disgruntled fans and admittedly a failure. But not due to Bob Gale, who was gracious in coming to Mattel and trying to help. This is Mattel's fault and the project leader and marketing. Shame that the person they asked to help now is taking the blame for something out of his control.

And just to note, I don't think the lenticular was the killer on this project, I think the fact they would not consider the poor materials on whole, inaccurate graphics, sizing of the objects on the board and inaccurate materials weighed to trying to achieve what was poor sound and glide effect killed this project. They lost focus of what the project was trying to achieve originally.

I did not think it could get worse for Mattel, but it just did. The silence as throughout the whole project deafening. And when Mattel has decided to speak, those words were meaningless. Now comes the fallout.

Its a shame, the board is not terrible, in fact, I would not mind still getting one, but at a lower cost (Bob Gale was correct on the value of the final product). But it was never the authentic replica they hyped at the beginning. And they never listened to the customers when things went off path, belittling them instead.

Mattel now needs to come up and be honest about what happened, not let Bob Gale take the hit. They have to turn around and really focus on the future products. Understand mission goal and focus. They need to start listening to the customer base on all their lines. They need to assign someone(s) who has a passion for their own products to have an inside line and outside line of communications on their own forums. And frankly, they need to be honest when doing so.

Most of all, make this "the learning curve", the textbook of what not to do and how not to handle such a project, and show that knowledge with PR and good products from here out.

Yeah, I STILL want an accurate replica as well. I don't know that Mattel would have the hutzpah to have a go at it again.

Bob Gale, what a pure, class act.

I've said it before, but I really suspect he is as big a fan, if not bigger, than any of us and this letter really shows that.

Contrary to his writing, I don't want to throw eggs at him, nor should anyone. He was caught up in a big corporation who used him as a selling point when they're product had none of its own.

Bob, wherever you are: We stand with you.

Now, if only he was a member here so we could convince him to take pictures of his Matty board next to one of his film boards. :lol

...a guy can dream, can't he?

-Nick

I agree, class act.

Scott Neitlich's attitude, lies, and lack of communication during this whole process was appalling, and stand out even more so when compared to Bob's class.

Would be nice if Mattel would send out updated stickers that we can apply ourselves to at least improve on this board.

Would be nice if Mattel would send out updated stickers that we can apply ourselves to at least improve on this board.

I doubt they'd do that. They don't even listen to what the fans say on what is right and what is wrong about the Hoverboard. But I do hope they do something about it. Not only fans are angry, Bob is also very disappointed.

They shoulda made 2.

One that was a 100% accurate prop replica with a limited edition.

And a toy that could be stood on and slid across the carpet and thrown around.

No sound needed for either.

That would be awesome. It's not entirely out of the question, but I can't seen them ever, ever, ever doing that.

I remember a few years back, Fox Home Entertainment changed the packaging of the Simpsons DVDs to a plastic 3D head of Homer for the 6th season, and they didn't offer a standard cardboard one to match the first 5 seasons. Fans were super pissed off about that (I was a little, too). Eventually Fox actually listened to the fans and created a normal box for that season, and sent it out to anyone that wanted it for free. Following that, each subsequent season was/is offered in the two different style boxes at retail. But that's small potatoes compared to lenticular material.

I really think Matty needs to do something for the fans they have done wrong. Either offer better/lenticular graphics (and how about a better foot strap while we're at it:behave) or give us some of our money back.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back