MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

I can hardly tell any difference!!

I think if you look at every single part... it's off in some dramatic way. They had the f'in props!!!!

srohjI.gif

hahah omg

This is the Mattycollector next to my hoverboard.org.uk board. Mattycollector is on the left and hoverboard.org.uk on the right. The Matty board looks so cheap next to it. All of the colors are different and the dimensions of the Hover Board lettering are off. I love my hoverboard.org.uk board and it set the bar very high. The Matty board does not even compare.

The sounds on the Matty board are one of my many disappointments. Mine is so bass(y) that all I can hear is vibrating and can hardly hear the difference between motion sounds. It also shuts off so quickly instead of being on idle for more than 10 seconds.

As far as the stand, there are little indents on the battery box which the pegs on the stand fit into nicely. It looks kind of cool on the stand which is good because that's where it will stay while I show off my hoverboard.org.uk board!

The best thing is that it IS an officially licensed Hoverboard from Mattel which is awesome. They finally made one!

y3a8e8yr.jpg
etedagaz.jpg

jdraimer, does the hoverboard.org.uk version have lenticular graphics?

jdraimer, does the hoverboard.org.uk version have lenticular graphics?

no it doesn't have lenticular graphics, i did make a couple with them, but other than that i just made stunt boards as it's so difficult to get the lenticular right.

nice to see a comparison pic too! the Mattel version looks way off, i've got a latest one off bttf123 at home waiting for me with Roland's graphics on, i'll do a comparison pic of all 3 (mine, bttf123's and Mattel's one) when i get chance

I have followed this forum for a while. A lot of good info here.

I ordered mine from MattyCollector and I should expect to get mine in a few days. Even though it's an officially licensed Hoverboard from Mattel, I am slightly disappointed that it is not a 100% accurate. I thought about cancelling it, but I went ahead and kept the order. Would Mattel release the hoverboard again in 2015 (to follow the 2015 timeline from the movie)?

I took some screen caps from BTT2. I am going to compare my board to the movie.

It seems like there are two silver screws still left in there (in the photo)... have you tried unscrewing them to get the plate out?
I just noticed that as well, and I went to take a look at them this morning, but they aren't actually holding the pink raised plates on the board. I'm not sure what they are for, exactly (they are under more bits of scotch tape and I didn't want to pull them apart). You can see from this photo, however, that the pink plates are a part of the board mold (it's all one piece). You can also see the tape and further evidence of poor workmanship on the 'border' of the board where the graphic is not adhered to the board:

hb5.jpg

Consider me interested!:love
Here you go. :)

http://tinyurl.com/bequg6m

This is as distortion free as possible and very high res so you may wish to download instead of viewing in a browser. Because the graphic itself is so bloody glossy, it's really difficult to shoot well and get complete uniform color (without reflection of any kind) but the dimensions and positioning of things should be very helpful for someone wishing to modify it. I have included the top and bottom of the board, as well as the bottom with the magnets removed. Next I'll get the measurements for Roland (that's a pain, too, because the footpad is in the way) as well as some comparison shots with my BTTF123* boards (I have two versions which look VERY different from each other).
hb5.jpg

Here you go. :)

http://tinyurl.com/bequg6m

This is as distortion free as possible and very high res so you may wish to download instead of viewing in a browser. Because the graphic itself is so bloody glossy, it's really difficult to shoot well and get complete uniform color (without reflection of any kind) but the dimensions and positioning of things should be very helpful for someone wishing to modify it. I have included the top and bottom of the board, as well as the bottom with the magnets removed. Next I'll get the measurements for Roland (that's a pain, too, because the footpad is in the way) as well as some comparison shots with my BTTF123* boards (I have two versions which look VERY different from each other).

Those pictures are absolutely perfect. Thank you! I really look forward to your measurements. If there's a problem because the footpad is in the way, just measure from the beginning of the decal up to the beginning of the footpad and from the end of the footpad up to the end of the decal (do you know what I mean?). This is enough information for me (as long as the bottom decal has the same size as the one on top). :)

Whee, more presents. Here is the Mattel board next to two BTTF123* boards for some comparison (I wish I had a UK board to add to the mix, but he stopped making them by the time I found out about it).

hb7.jpg

hb9.jpg

Both BTTF123* boards have lenticular graphics... the one in the middle is a wood 2012 board made with Roland's graphics (if I'm not mistaken) and the board on the right is made of foam and was made around 2006. The difference in the colors between all three is that dramatic in person, and the 2006 board in particular is quite dark.

It's very interesting to note the difference in the angles in the stripes on the bottom of all three boards, as well as just how enormous those mattel magnets are. The hoverboard logo on the 2006 board looks a lot like the hero board in the 6th picture that Dangerzone just posted, whereas the 2012 board reflects the yellow space above and below the text as seen in Roland's graphics. The Mattel board of course is truncated and distorted and is the least 'screen accurate' of the three.

The Mattel board is surprisingly the heaviest of the three, followed by the wood, and in a far third the foam. I personally requested the strap on the 2012 board be made of the denser padded material instead of the fur (as I personally just think the fur looks silly and homemade, even though it's more screen accurate). There is a bit more contrast between the footpad and the green velcro on the 2012 board than the photo shows, but it's definitely more pronounced in the other two.

I love the 2012 board (though I'm not sure if he is continuing to make them anymore either) as it's got the lenticular in a much nicer shade than he was previously using and is probably the most accurate looking (hero) board I've seen. The UK board is really nice as well, and has the least pink border around the edges (which I like), but the magnet assembly goes up almost to the edge which I think looks very strange. The kicktail is also very sharp and angular, whereas the Mattel and BTTF123* boards are a bit more curved and less dramatic in scope. I should note, however, that although I love the lenticular on the BTTF123* boards, it's starting to warp on the 2006 one (it's difficult to glue because it's not a flat surface), and doesn't look as nice in person. You can see a bit of it on the bottom side in the photo. Hopefully the 2012 board will hold up better.

All in all if they had done a better job with the footpad and the magnets on the Mattel board I'd be a much happier camper, but they pretty much blew it.

I'm going to soon start an interest thread in the JY for a revived run of my ICONS magnet assembly.
I have been getting a number of PMS asking for them.
This all depends on if my molds can handle another run if a minimum of ten sets.
If not, I will be forced to have new molds made from my master copies.
These parts will be perfect for upgrading the Matty board and if you replace the footstrap as well, you will have an all-around much more accurate Hoverboard replica.

I got my pre-order from March 1st. today. Extremely disappointed. The mini hover-board that was to come with the pre-order was not in my box. :-( Also the mock packaging was glued which made it really hard to open without damaging the box. Then I got it open only to see that all the decals were put on crooked. I am very unhappy and have emailed MattyCollector. I hope to at least get the promised mini hover-board. Was anyone else missing theirs?

You're mistaken. This board on your picture isn't made with my graphics. :)
Sorry Roland. The graphics had changed from his previous board and I guess somewhere along the line I got that impression. I appreciate very much the work you have put in, however. I should have studied your graphics better. :)

Here are the dimensions of certain parts of the top of the board... if you need another dimension from what I have listed, please let me know.

http://tinyurl.com/bjlozfh

These parts will be perfect for upgrading the Matty board and if you replace the footstrap as well, you will have an all-around much more accurate Hoverboard replica.
The problem is that the molds for the Mattel magnets are a part of the board itself, so it would be pretty impossible to replace them. :(

The problem is that the molds for the Mattel magnets are a part of the board itself, so it would be pretty impossible to replace them. :(

Not necessarily.

It all depends on how much you'd be prepared to risk when modding the board.

If you were prepared to risk it, you could probably sand down/remove the raised parts.

Assuming they're not solid (which they may be to create weight), it may very well create a hole in the bottom of the board, but you could either;

a) Put the new magnets over the top to hide it.

or if they don't cover it properly (which I think they should)
b) put something flat in there first.

My explanation isn't ideal. But you get my drift. As said; It just all depends on how much you trust yourself not to completely break it when modding it.

The worrier in me wonders if Matty have deliberately engineered this whole Hoverboard situation so they have an excuse to not do any more 'Prop Replicas' - this would kill the upcoming Ecto Goggles, which is the only item outstanding in a line they have killed off already. Much like they killed the Club Ecto-1 subscription for 2012 by making the exclusive figure The Rookie, who no-one really gave a ****** about. It's a shame really, as the Ghostbusters line was great and the props were spot-on

Look what arrived today! And no, it's not from Matty Collector... this is custom designed replica with took over months of painstaking focused research, and years of general research on the prop. The lenticular is custom, and it took FOREVER to get the right color (not offering it for sale at this time). Die cut vinyl decals, perfect angles on all stripes, screen matched paint. The entire thing was built by a season replica maker to absolute perfection, and it's as solid as a rock (even though it is made out of foam). Whatever arrives from Matty, I will still have a smile on my face. :)

Special thanks to Roland for the hero hoverboard logo vector. I tweaked it and modified it a bit but he laid out the groundwork.

Album with 7 photos: Photo Album - Imgur

dh2Dl.jpg

R0HK3.jpg

In the shade...

rQGFn.jpg

eS1AZ.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back