MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Is there a way to get the lenticular on the board without it being blotchy? We need a brainstorm on this.

I'd rather work on getting it made in the right color (pink) than fooling around with the clear stuff. It is not accurate and doesn't look quite right no matter what you do.

Understand that you won't have this problem with other colors because they are opaque. The kind they used in the movie would glue to the board no problem.

I have tried pretty much everything with the inaccurate clear honeycombs. They are not that great. Here are the only options I have found to work...

Spray painting it pink on the back and then glueing it to the board gives you an OK effect, but still won't look quite right. Another way to do it is to stick some pink adhesive vinyl to the back then glue it the board (some blotchiness issues and it will unstick at points because the adhesive isn't strong). Finally, you can just sparingly glue it to the board on parts covered by the decal (I have had many problems with warping doing it this way).

I can't believe no one is talking about or has so far mentioned a *glaring* inaccuracy that jumped out to me immediately upon seeing the pics from SDCC '12. The bevel on the edge of the board. It looks like they had it right last year on the prototype/looks-like model. I got to hold that board in my hands at the DeLorean Car Show in Orlando last month. It was pretty nice, short of the sticker graphics. The beveled edge was flat on both the top and bottom of the board.

This new board, it looks correct on the bottom, (see 3rd pic) but on top it's now rounded over. What the hell is that all about? It looks completely wrong, and if they wanted to use their existing tooling (of the prototype board), why did it change from the more correct flat bevel? It's obvious on close-ups of screen-used boards that's how it's supposed to be.
So many have said Mattel doesn't want to invest in new, expensive tooling, but then why has the shape of the board changed? *for the worse* :angry

Quick search on toyguru shows only subscription questions are being answered the last few weeks. He may not be allowed to reply to anything else until subscriptions close after August 6th.
Search Results

In addition, long wordy question threads don't get a proper answers, while questions with a few dozen words get good replies.

Still no answers at the Matty forum and with cross over questions in the Ghostbusters line, they have been giving answers that are total BS. There are definitely a few red flags concerning the restructuring of the club, the language of the clubs and financing noted on the Facebook page, as well the issues of accuracy in the last two presented props, to the lack of communications in answering anything from the Hover Board page.

I would love to give them the benefit of the doubt but with the flags, it like the past repeated mistakes of other prop companies that have come and gone. I just worry Matty is taking a very bad turn down a path that leads to them producing poor products and loosing their customer base further.

They need to listen, answer with honesty and understand their customer base and its concerns. If they ignore that, I am afraid they will repeat the mistakes that have lead to the demise of other great companies. This is a seriously worrisome direction they are taking.

Yesterday I forwarded Roland's graphics for the stunt board so they can get their angles and sizes right. Mattel can't (or won't) use real lenticular material. I also forwarded many of the issues that the hoverboard has regarding hard parts. I'm still not exactly sure where they are in development but internally they are aware of the issues. I'll update on this thread as soon as I hear something.

Like it's been mentioned earlier I just think this turned way more "toy" than "collectible prop". Shame on them however for showing a video of designers and engineers measuring the real hoverboards with calipers. I think that bugs me the most.

Dave

Like it's been mentioned earlier I just think this turned way more "toy" than "collectible prop". Shame on them however for showing a video of designers and engineers measuring the real hoverboards with calipers. I think that bugs me the most.

Dave

Thanks for all your assist on this, it's a shame it looks like this is going to turn out so badly. I can't believe they thought this would be a good toy, as opposed a replica prop. Really, how much could you 'play' with this thing? :facepalm

Last edited:
@Dave

Thanks for forwarding my graphics. I'm really looking forward to their reactions.

Thanks for all your assist on this, it's a shame it looks like this is going to turn out so badly. I can't believe they thought this would be a good toy, as opposed a replica prop. Really, how much could you 'play' with this thing? :facepalm

If they would make it really hovering, the people would buy it no matter what it looks like. But since hovering isn't possible and this board has no other practical use, they can't build it as a toy. Only prop collectors will buy it. And most prop collectors have a high demand on screen accuracy.

I predict: Mattel will make a big loss on this Hoverboard if they don't make radical changes on it.

From Scott on the beyondthemarkee first video about things that are going to be on the final model (word by word):

(Pointing at the lenticular on the look-a like model): "The pink here, it's going to be a hologram, it's going to be the lenticular, shiny hologram that everyone is.... you know..."

Now user autoprops says from an insider source that Mattel won't be using lenticular stickers...

Just one word to Mattel: LIARS!!!!!!

Mattel, refund the money to everyone who asks for it. You lied about the product, you lied to get the preoders done, get the money, and now you just are not listening nor replying to fans questions as you did all this past months. Because you know that you screw up the product, IT'S NOT WHAT YOU PROMISED WHEN ASKING FOR THE PREORDER MONEY, and your silence is simply pathetic. Absolute deception at every level.
You don't deserve all the money for preorders. You don't deserve it for your lies about the product, nor for your silence on this whole thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roland pointed out that the stunt boards don't have lenticular material. Mattel promised it but it really doesn't matter does it? Assuming they go for the stunt-prop (with the light green stripes). The rest of the issues remain of course. Especially the hardware bugs me.

At this moment I do not know what to think but I'm really in need of some official Mattel responses. Many issues can be fixed without too much of a hassle during manufacturing. Those issues should be addressed. Delay release if time is what they need.

As far as I'm concerned they skip on the electronics and sliding pads and invest in a more authentic board. And appreciate the free input from their customers.

To those wondering how to get your money back. About the only recourse you have is a fraud claim on your credit card. Technically, this could be construed as a bait and switch.

It's unfortunate, but since Matty isn't letting you cancel your order, it's about the only other option. Still not something to consider lightly though.

At this point, I hope they delay the release so they can get everything in order to match what they promised. Any production cost overruns are entirely on them and their failure to deliver the product that people believed they were paying for. Retooling isn't cheap, but the bad PR and reputation from making tons of fans angry can't be undone with any amount of money. And when you have angry fans, they tend not to buy from you again...especially when a product is aimed ONLY at them like this one is.

-Nick

... Assuming they go for the stunt-prop (with the light green stripes). ...

The stunt boards all have printed dark green stripes on the upper and the lower side. It's one full size printed decal on each side. Some stunt boards have additional light green velcro stripes glued over the printed dark green stripes on the upper side of the board.

Here's a picture, where you can see that:

attachment.php

Last edited:
To those wondering how to get your money back. About the only recourse you have is a fraud claim on your credit card. Technically, this could be construed as a bait and switch.

It's unfortunate, but since Matty isn't letting you cancel your order, it's about the only other option. Still not something to consider lightly though.

Well here's the situation I'm in. When I preordered these, I had a different credit card number. Since then, my card account has been transferred or sold or something and now it's under a different account number. Even if they had the old card number, did that preorder charge carry over? Do I need to update it? Or be happy that I may get out of this?

Matty did not start the process of the refunds on the Staypuft Marshmallow man until there was a consumer complaint put forth. You might be looking at the same situation here with a fraud complaint placed forth to get them to accept such. There would have to be a movement to do so but with a few complaints, Matty would be foolish not to refund such without having such a business complaint on record.

Well here's the situation I'm in. When I preordered these, I had a different credit card number. Since then, my card account has been transferred or sold or something and now it's under a different account number. Even if they had the old card number, did that preorder charge carry over? Do I need to update it? Or be happy that I may get out of this?

If your account is closed to purchases, I would think it should be declined when they try to bill. Nothing has already been authorized or charged to my card that I can see since placing the preorder. When this has happened to me with other things in the past (other companies) I've received an e-mail asking to provide them new CC info. If that happens... Tough luck Mattel :thumbsdown

If that's the case too... I'm pretty sure I can ask the bank to cancel the card and issue me a new number (stolen/lost card, etc.). Maybe everyone can simultaneously "lose" their credit cards :)

From Scott on the beyondthemarkee first video about things that are going to be on the final model (word by word):

(Pointing at the lenticular on the look-a like model): "The pink here, it's going to be a hologram, it's going to be the lenticular, shiny hologram that everyone is.... you know..."

Now user autoprops says from an insider source that Mattel won't be using lenticular stickers...

Just one word to Mattel: LIARS!!!!!!

Mattel, refund the money to everyone who asks for it. You lied about the product, you lied to get the preoders done, get the money, and now you just are not listening nor replying to fans questions as you did all this past months. Because you know that you screw up the product, IT'S NOT WHAT YOU PROMISED WHEN ASKING FOR THE PREORDER MONEY, and your silence is simply pathetic. Absolute deception at every level.
You don't deserve all the money for preorders. You don't deserve it for your lies about the product, nor for your silence on this whole thread.

I think at this stage in the game they are scrambling to figure out how to correct the graphics and possibly get some type of lenticular film. The question for collectors would be A) Lenticular but incorrect type of film OR B) printed authentic pattern like the stunt board.

The bigger problem I see is that they have recessed areas into the board that will accept the green velcro stripes so the end result may look like a Frankenstein stunt/hero hoverboard. Are the final stripes the correct size and angle placement now that they are sunk into the board? I dunno.

I've involved some of my friends there at Mattel to look into what's going on with the production boards. Forget SDCC for a minute bc nobody really knows if those are just more hand-made samples, or EPs, or FEPs, etc. They should've just shown just a grey tooling model at SDCC. Again without knowing how far the development team has gone...its tough to tell what they can or can not correct. I asked if they can give me a good news/bad news list. That way each collector can make their own decision on whether to cancel or not based on what the PRODUCTION board will end up looking like. They should at this point just post that list on Matty for everyone to see...and judge for themselves.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Not posting ANY answer is a terrible inaction. Matty should update, do some public relations, but saying nothing is the worse thing they could do. Given the other issues with the way they are structuring the clubs to build funds for certain franchises, the wording they have done concerning easy access for the GB props, cut backs on production numbers, the cutting of certain lines such as Ghostbusters, pleading on Facebook for membership club drives or face cancellation, there are a lot of red flags going up in the air right now for Matty that makes their future look questionable. This is starting to look like one more nail in the virtual coffin, you don't know what to think. It has spill over to other lines and other members board wondering if they are getting desperate that the business model could be faltering.

The Toyguru's answers on the ask GB forum noting, what we said is not what we said - how dare you quote us, is painful to read.

With so many issues, this one on a highly publicized large project looks horrible. Heck, a "We are working on an answer for you" would be better than the silence. At least then they are acknowledging the issue. But the bury the head tactic is horrifying to contemplate and watch.

I have noted from the beginning Matty's marketing sucks, so I guess it should not be such a surprise.

You would think though, a whole month of putting the heat on the ask hoverboard forum by so many might get an answer but it just confirms my thoughts above.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back