MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

It would be great if we could put in a bulk order for the lenticular and then have someone print out the above PDF files professionally so they could put together the stickers themselves on the Matty board.

There may be a way to salvage this beyond what Matty has done, although the hardware on the bottom will not be perfect. But it would be a significant improvement over what we have seen already.

Thanks for the insider info, autoprops713.

We all know this is a toy, but Mattel's marketing was overwhelming after their Toy Fair announcement, saying they knew the look-a-like model was not exact, and that the final replica would be as close as the originals as possible. They promised something and it's not just they lied, it's also that they got the board worse and worse and less close to the original each day it passed.

They are keeping the awful "giant green button-carved on the board" footpad (I still think this is due to what I said in my image, they were not going to waste their mold for the mock-up board, it's expensive), they screwed up the magnets, they screwed up the battery pack, they screw up the magnet holders, they screwed up most of the sticker decorations, they screwed up the lenticular pattern (I said "lenticular" just to say something).... they screwed up almost everything since the look-a-like model.

That model (the look-a-like toy fair model) was closer to what we expected than the SDCC "almost final if not final" model. It only needed a couple of changes on the top face of the board (the bottom part was almost perfect), and that was it.... but they screwed it up.

Oh, and about not putting the velcro.... I'll refresh my idea again. They could ship the board with the velcro stripes apart, like the toys that come with stickers on a sheet of paper that you apply yourself. How much for about 50-60cm long / 2cm wide of velcro? 1$ ? That is cheap and easy to fix. Don't they want to apply it because it's time-consuming and expensive to pay some workers? Ship the board with the coloured velcro stripes and we'll apply them. EASY AND CHEAP! (at least cheaper and more useful than the electronics inside the board and the "cushions" for the useless no-matter-how-you-look-at-it "gliding for a couple of feet")

PS: It's incredible the cowardness of Mattel on their forums. Not so long ago, they replied to any question in 2-3 days. Now, after the complains of the quality of the board, they keep silent... well... not so much... they keep posting about the subscriptions and things like that. But fan questions? Not a single reply.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insider info, autoprops713.

We all know this is a toy, but Mattel's marketing was overwhelming after their Toy Fair announcement, saying they knew the look-a-like model was not exact, and that the final replica would be as close as the originals as possible. They promised something and it's not just they lied, it's also that they got the board worse and worse and less close to the original each day it passed.

They are keeping the awful "giant green button-carved on the board" footpad (I still think this is due to what I said in my image, they were not going to waste their mold for the mock-up board, it's expensive), they screwed up the magnets, they screwed up the battery pack, they screw up the magnet holders, they screwed up most of the sticker decorations, they screwed up the lenticular pattern (I said "lenticular" just to say something).... they screwed up almost everything since the look-a-like model.

That model (the look-a-like toy fair model) was closer to what we expected than the SDCC "almost final if not final" model. It only needed a couple of changes on the top face of the board (the bottom part was almost perfect), and that was it.... but they screwed it up.

Oh, and about not putting the velcro.... I'll refresh my idea again. They could ship the board with the velcro stripes apart, like the toys that come with stickers on a sheet of paper that you apply yourself. How much for about 50-60cm long / 2cm wide of velcro? 1$ ? That is cheap and easy to fix. Don't they want to apply it because it's time-consuming and expensive to pay some workers? Ship the board with the coloured velcro stripes and we'll apply them. EASY AND CHEAP! (at least cheaper and more useful than the electronics inside the board and the "cushions" for the useless no-matter-how-you-look-at-it "gliding for a couple of feet")

PS: It's incredible the cowardness of Mattel on their forums. Not so long ago, they replied to any question in 2-3 days. Now, after the complains of the quality of the board, they keep silent... well... not so much... they keep posting about the subscriptions and things like that. But fan questions? Not a single reply.

I think you addressed most of those issues by saying this is a toy. I also believe that this item slowly morphed from a replica collector item to a possible kid's play toy. Why the sounds? Or the skid discs? It also seems to me like the 3D parts changed to make it more manufactoring friendly and to withstand a kid's weight. Those Chinese hoverboard tools will also be used for even more "kids" versions of this item...watch. I can't make excuses for Mattel because to your point they should've never pitched this as "very accurate". That was all marketing...and because they are really close to Hollywood....showbiz. I heard them saying that recently about their Dark Knight line of TOYS. Highly accurate and detailed? :facepalm

Anyway, with Roland's help I am sending off ACCURATE graphics to them and hopefully some of the guys on the hoverboard design team will leave their egos at the door... and implement these changes QUICKLY.

I'm also with some of you guys however....doing a really accurate hoverboard! I can get the lenticular film out of China no problem (I work with lots of factories). I would just need to know what kind.

Dave

Anyway, with Roland's help I am sending off ACCURATE graphics to them and hopefully some of the guys on the hoverboard design team will leave their egos at the door... and implement these changes QUICKLY.

I'm also with some of you guys however....doing a really accurate hoverboard! I can get the lenticular film out of China no problem (I work with lots of factories). I would just need to know what kind.

Dave

I think the lenticular film is pink 3D honeycomb. Not Hot Pink, but a regular pink color. http://www.sommers.com/ecommerce/specialties/honeycomb-1.jsp

Thanks for sending Roland's graphics to the designers at Mattel. A lot of us here really appreciate it :D

What is so disappointing at this point is they have to know by now there is a problem with public perception and they are just ignoring it. That silence is so condemning.
Even an acknowledgment of "we are working on a response" would be better than what they have done. Their corporate mission and focus is a joke given how they have handled this and the respect I have had for them has faltered greatly watching this unfold.

This is were I loose respect and faith for companies that can do their best but blow that potential to accept and pursue mediocrity instead. To me that is embracing failure and that mentality is something I just cannot understand people accepting and doing.

I went and joined to their forums to add my very humble voice as well. What I read in this thread just made me fell on the floor. What a let-down from Matty.

Guys, thanks for all the infos about this project.

And I would like to add that, AGAIN, the ***ing nerd, the guy who would work his ass off for sheer passion for this project, the only guy in the company genuinely concerned about getting the Hoverboard right is NOT the guy who is working on the project, and rather, kept at bay. I experienced this at the company I used to work, as the passionate guy, and God it was heart-crushing to see some careless moron just making a mess out of a one-of-a-kind opportunity while you are working on something else.
So sad. :(

I think the lenticular film is pink 3D honeycomb. Not Hot Pink, but a regular pink color. http://www.sommers.com/ecommerce/specialties/honeycomb-1.jsp

Thanks for sending Roland's graphics to the designers at Mattel. A lot of us here really appreciate it :D

That's great for the stunt board, but not for the hero board. For people who want the pattern for the hero board, here is a link. Someone already posted this, but it needs to be seen more.

http://rowlux.com/design.html

They don't have the correct color, but you can email them the correct color. I would recommend taking a sample of the hero board lenticular and attaching that to the email.

Another video with a really good close-up on the SDCC unit.

Marty McFly and Mattel lend a hoverboard to The 404 | Comic-con - CNET Blogs

It's the model that the booth girl had, but the pieces are the same that the model that was under display. (not the top sticker)

Back into that bottom parts, you can clearly see the fails. The battery pack withouth the big carved holes for the screws (and the actual holes are not even centered), and the plastic bump out on the screwholes from the magnet holders.

Also, it's good to point that the top magnet (and the bottom one a little), are already a little peeled up, os so it seems, thanks to the "gliding" effect.
Again, the "gliding" is so useless and stupid it's not worth the changes on the magnets to to so.
I've just throw one of my sneakers across the floor of my room, and it "glided" even at more distance than the hoverboard. I'm pretty sure that my xbox360 will also get more distance that the hoverboard if we swipe both across the floor XD

If we finally get it, we will have to make A LOT of personal working on the boards to get something a little closer to the original.
Hey, Mattel! I'll buy your look a like model from toy fair. At least, the bottom face was almost perfect, and I'll only have to work on the top face. You know, to save some time....

EDIT: I've just watch this other video and there is something very curious about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hydCgswFMsI

When the booth girl shows the bottom face of the hoverboard, we can see it's another "working model". The magnet holders don't have the "bump out" screwholes, they're like some shots of the originals, and like the toy fair model, that was better; and the battery pack still lacks the carved big screwholes, but the actual holes are more centered than the other working model.
So, two working models were used on sdcc (maybe the first one's magnets peeled up completely after some gliding and they changed it?)
As I said before, the model under the display had the holders and the battery pack as the other working model I posted before on this same message.

Last edited:
The girl at the booth is obviously an actor and probably doesn't even really care about Back to the Future. She just puts on that fake smile and says her lines.

That's great for the stunt board, but not for the hero board. For people who want the pattern for the hero board, here is a link. Someone already posted this, but it needs to be seen more.

Rowlux Illusion Film Design Center » Rowland Technologies ...

That isn't correct! For the stunt board you don't need any lenticular. The honeycombs there are just simple printed (no 3D). Only the hero board has lenticular decals. And Sommers IS the producer of the lenticular from the original Hoverboards. I think there you will get the correct pattern and color.

I noticed Sommers has clear in stock. Can it just be sprayed from the backside with the correct shade of pink? I'm not sure if the lenticular would be affected however.

Rowlux Illusion Film Design Center » Rowland Technologies

They don't have the correct color, but you can email them the correct color. I would recommend taking a sample of the hero board lenticular and attaching that to the email.

Actually, both offer the exact same type of material "3D Honeycomb Lenticular". Rowlux offers way more "in stock colors" though.

Interesting fact - Sommers Plastics is actually the company who made the material for the movie!

Dave - would you like me to send you a sample of the material? I don't have the right color but I have plenty of examples if you are getting the stuff made in China. If you can get this stuff made out there you would be an absolute legend! I will certainly pitch in a large chunk of money. The problem with Rowlux is they will only do a custom color run of 10,000 square feet (which is over 10k cost).

As for the accuracy, I have seen the lenticular board up close and the color is pink - not hot pink. The reason I stress this point is because Icons Props had a run of the material made in the early 2000's and the color was inaccurate.

The only other information I know about the lenticular is that it was used on a lot of stationary and notebooks in the early 90's.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
I noticed Sommers has clear in stock. Can it just be sprayed from the backside with the correct shade of pink? I'm not sure if the lenticular would be affected however.

Dave - I have done this! It doesn't work very well... you don't get the exact same effect, but it looks OK. The honeycombs don't reflect properly.

I would try it the other way round: painting the frontside in pink. But use acrylic paint, diluted with a lot of water, then it should be transparent enough to let the honeycombs easily shine through.

If that would work, you just need clear/colorless honeycomb lenticular.

Pm sent! I actually have an HK team currently sourcing factories in China. I'd love to mail out a sample to them. The minimum square footage (even for a custom mixed color) should be fairly reasonable.

Thanks! Dave

I would try it the other way round: painting the frontside in pink. But use acrylic paint, diluted with a lot of water, then it should be transparent enough to let the honeycombs easily shine through.

If that would work, you just need clear/colorless honeycomb lenticular.

Roland,

When it comes to the clear combs, I have tried everything my friend. The only way to get an OK look is to spray paint the back of it completely. Still doesn't really work because the honeycombs don't "light up" correctly.

I have tried sticking vinyl to the back of it. Still doesn't look right. Forget about glueing the stuff.... it completely messes up the lenses.

Best,

Grant

Pm sent! I actually have an HK team currently sourcing factories in China. I'd love to mail out a sample to them. The minimum square footage (even for a custom mixed color) should be fairly reasonable.

Thanks! Dave

Did you send it to me? My message center is acting funky...

The girl at the booth is obviously an actor and probably doesn't even really care about Back to the Future. She just puts on that fake smile and says her lines.

I would have to agree, she doesn't seem like she really has knowledge about the hoverboard. Just seems like she was fed information to repeat over and over again.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back