MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

It is impressive to see how quickly they've gone from 0 to full retraction/"it's not final"/"Pay not attention to the man behind the curtain" mode.

Hopefully, despite them being a bit short and curt with some of their responses, this is a good sign and shows that they are working to improve upon their previous mistakes...hopefully.

I'm still cautiously optimistic...emphasis on the "cautiously."

-Nick

It probably doesn't help that there are Mattel design employees that are going over to the BTTF team's area now and asking "What's up with this hoverboard?". Not so good for some egos over there. But I had no reservations in this case smacking the hornet's nest. Especially after I saw Jared preaching how awesome this hoverboard will be. At least I used to say...."I will do everything I can for the collectors...". Lol...I left a bit of doubt because I had plenty.

I just heard that they put away (or hid) many of the unpainted samples that were laying around the offices. I'm fairly certain at this point they are reviewing tooling modifications or changes. Then second... taking a close look at Roland's graphics. I told them to just print everything out full size, get some coffee, open your eyes... and compare those to what Mattel has made up till now.
Its not rocket science. :behave

"Perhapes you missed the sign at SDCC that clearly noted this was a demo model only and did not represent final product? We are constantly adjusting the toy to ensure it is as screen accurate as possible with a final model to be shown in OCt at NYCC."

-ToyGuru (Scott Neitlich)

ZwBNF.png

Didn't say anything close to that. Please stop be condescending in your replies.

Mattel has proven time and time again to do this to their customers. I have been a Mattel customer for 25 years and have recently decided that this Hoverboard incident was the final straw. I am officially done with Matty Products! This is NOT the way I would have like it to have ended up but, Mattel has made it very clear how they feel about their customers.

I don't think they really get it yet:

Tripoli
Matty Member

Posted August 01, 2012 11:42 AMAbsolutely yep uh huh, we saw the prototype signs.
Matty promised a screen accurate board and the first board show looked pretty decent. Matty went on to show how they were getting screen used boards as references and even showed the picture of them measuring it with calipers.
Then at SDCC the prototype went opposite of accurate the second version was worse than the first shown, as noted in many of the threads showing the corrections needed.

Simply put as that seems to be the only way you might really answer a question:

A) Is Matty going to produce a screen accurate board as originally promoted?

B) Or are they going another direction and ignoring the post showing the flaws in the latest SDCC board?

C) Is Matty going to go with what was shown at SDCC as the base of the final board or are they actually going for the accuracy noted and shown in the previous threads here?

We are not trying to destroy the project, we WANT TO SEE YOU SUCCEED! With what you originally advertised. The people posting here have done the homework your R&D department seems not to have done given the SDCC board. Instead of treating them poorly, address their concerns with valid answers, otherwise you look more the foolish and sink the hopes of those hoping this will be a great product.

Your answers "its a prototype" come across as crass and uncaring and confirm the fears that Matty does not care about producing a quality product, just getting by at the cost of your customers and their loss for believing in you.

D) Is Matty taking a real look at the concerns and implementing changes based on the suggestions posted?

E) What are they doing?

Matty started off this project great with the video making a lot of promises. Customers pre-paid in good faith and now they feel that faith may be misplaced.

Can Matty show that faith is well founded with an update that addresses the issues presented or not?
Posts: 176 | Location: Toledo_Ohio | Registered: April 23, 2010
blank.gif
Toyguru
Collector Supreme

Posted August 01, 2012 12:24 PMHide PostYes, final board will be as screen accurate as we can make it. The version shown at SDCC was a works like demo model (as noted by the booth signs).

Well I know for a fact that they are at FS (first shot) stage with these boards. It makes sense since this is a fall 2012 ship correct? Unless they are going to dig into the steel tools and either remove or weld in material...the hard parts are done.

Remember too when they say "as screen accurate as we can make it" they are still bound by toy regulations. That's waaay different than what Sideshow or QMX has to deal with. There can be a crap load of changes that will make this inaccurate from a collector's perspective only so they can stay within toy standards. At some point they might have aged-down this item (does anyone know this replica's age grading?) which meant a whole world of headaches and changes for the design team.

Well I know for a fact that they are at FS (first shot) stage with these boards. It makes sense since this is a fall 2012 ship correct? Unless they are going to dig into the steel tools and either remove or weld in material...the hard parts are done.

Remember too when they say "as screen accurate as we can make it" they are still bound by toy regulations. That's waaay different than what Sideshow or QMX has to deal with. There can be a crap load of changes that will make this inaccurate from a collector's perspective only so they can stay within toy standards. At some point they might have aged-down this item (does anyone know this replica's age grading?) which meant a whole world of headaches and changes for the design team.

So you are saying that they have already made molds that can't be changed?

BTW: Shipped the samples to you. I have already been trying to look for over-seas suppliers online but it's difficult! :)

If they want, they can still fix and change everything. It will just cost time and money. I've worked in smaller companies where we've gone into the steel tools and modified for production. They would just have to air ship which then adds even more cost. It might be worth it for them if this can turn into a PR nightmare.

I just don't know "yet" how off the current Mattel boards are compared to the screen boards.

Edit: sending you a PM...

It probably doesn't help that there are Mattel design employees that are going over to the BTTF team's area now and asking "What's up with this hoverboard?". Not so good for some egos over there. But I had no reservations in this case smacking the hornet's nest. Especially after I saw Jared preaching how awesome this hoverboard will be.

Who is Jared?

Not answering the specifics on each issue, but they did answer this:

"We don't have a new model to show and I explained that the versions at SDCC were just sound demo models. Please let me know what it is you would like to see or hear. I can tell you we are striving for as screen accurate as possible and yes the version at SDCC was far from this. It was a demo sound model only as noted by the sign next to the board. We won't have a final model to show until NYCC in Oct."

Looks like a change of tune from the information given at SDCC. The larger issue is the work done on the hardware on the show model which is far off in dimensions and the graphics, which can be a somewhat quicker fix.

I hope we rattle the cages enough that they realize they should not produce a mediocre item.

Whether there is truth to what matty's response was I must admit that made me very happy to hear ;) If we keep pushing the forums with complaints hopefully these issues will be looked at immensely.I will be attending comic con come October and I'm sure a lot people here are I will take crazy detailed pics of that board for sure.

Read the new response by the design team... this is an absolute disaster. They basically said the looks like model in the display case at SDCC is it.

That's it. I am canceling all my orders.

They finally made a decent post addressing almost all the issues and giving an explanation.
It looks like they paid atention to some of our posts and comparisons. That's the way they should have follow, and the way they should follow in the future with more products: listen to the fans, to what they want, and trust the expert prop fans to get things better done.

Well, I'll understand the mass producction issues that can't be avoided, and now I'm happier and more relaxed about the hoveboard, but now the thing I fear the most is the big scale of the hoverboard pattern. They say they got a new reflective foil material and will be kind of shiny, but they don't know if they can get the scale at right size. That has to be a high priority issue to address in my opinion.

Well, good work to all guys, we made them look at our ideas and comparisons at least...
But we can't stop now, we just need to help them as much as they need to.
And if someone from Mattel is reading this on this forum, please register and ask anything you need to know abojt anything of the board. We want to help to make a better product, so here we are, we don't bite ;-)

It doesn't really make any sense to me why they would showcase a product at SDCC if they knew it was completely inaccurate and nothing like how the final version would be.

It's like when game companies release half-assed demos, the game may be great, but the demo is the first impression you are giving to people, so why open yourself up to such negative feedback if it doesn't represent the final product?

In all honesty, if it wasn't for the actions of you guys on this forum I'm pretty certain everyone would be receiving the exact same model that was shown at SDCC. Well done folks! :)

Um, guys... They said that it would look exactly like it did in the display case at SDCC. The only change is the reflective foil.

Every issue they addressed they seemed to THINK was on the looks-like-model at SDCC in the display case. It obviously isn't.

We are screwed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back