MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

I believe they are already at PS (product ship) stage so it’s done. A very good friend of mine there at the design center said he's seen a few lying around in offices. I don't want to give out names here on the forum but it sounds like the lead designer on this project is a relatively new Mattel employee and maybe China...and corporate walked all over him. Like I mentioned in my previous post to really do a quality item in a company this large you HAVE to push back a lot. Maybe they were trying to hit a crazy low price point? Maybe adding that sliding feature (which is lame) made those magnet brackets larger? I dunno.

There still might be time to fine tune the graphics (running change) but again with certain foils, metallics, etc sometimes there are quantities to consider. They just may not have the numbers for this item to order specific decals? Again, I don't know the details I'm just trying to get some answers for you guys. I'll keep at it. I know my engineering buddy will bring this issue up in their next planning meeting so that will at least rattle the cage.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, with the effort they started with, the videos, references teaming up with Michael Fox, the CNN coverage, Matty then produces this? To put the reputation of further projects on the line with the hype and publicity given to this project?

THAT is some incredibly stupid management. Someone needs to give that corporate culture an enema.

And I can't even cancel my order. It's like they baited us on a idea and took the cheap route by giving us this crap. They lied to us, and they won't even let us cancel our orders for things we clearly didn't ask for in the first place.

Exactly man MAJOR FAIL!!!

Its the same with the club lion force voltron line I'm basically not even touching them And once they all drop EBay it is.

And I can't even cancel my order. It's like they baited us on a idea and took the cheap route by giving us this crap. They lied to us, and they won't even let us cancel our orders for things we clearly didn't ask for in the first place.

It's a bait and switch. I have cancelled my order. My credit card has not been charged yet so I have informed MattyCollector that I have withdrawn authorization for my CC. If they try and charge my card, they will get a surprise as my credit card company have been informed that I have cancelled it. I suggest everyone does the same. I have no problems in paying for what they promised but if they deliver something that falls short of the expectations they built up, I am within my rights to tell them to keep their board.

You don't know that it will be as as it was at SDCC until they answer or until it finally ships. Rather than cancel now, it would be best to put pressure on them to do it correctly before it ships.

There is a lot at stake here.
They have their reputation for future projects on the line.
They have the issue of cancellations on the line.
They have how they take orders ( specifically advanced orders) on the line.
They have public relations with news organizations and collector communities on the line.
They have their reputation with The Michael J Fox Parkinson Organization on the line as well fall out in association.
They have the issue of the bait and switch after showing the videos of reference.
They have their own abilities and management to show who they are by what they end up producing on the line.

That is not something that should be taken lightly and if they have screwed up, the cost to fix it is weighed by that above as well as the production cost.

Mattel's mission is:
"At Mattel, unwavering integrity defines our corporate culture on every level, guiding how we work and how we do business. Solid standards of corporate governance are so important to earning and retaining trust, which is why we take corporate governance so seriously. We are pleased to provide the opportunity to take a closer look at our standards - those required, as well as those we impose on ourselves - in an effort to develop best practices, and earn your trust every day. "

Are they going to take this seriously or is it all hype?

Wow, with the effort they started with, the videos, references teaming up with Michael Fox, the CNN coverage, Matty then produces this? To put the reputation of further projects on the line with the hype and publicity given to this project?

THAT is some incredibly stupid management. Someone needs to give that corporate culture an enema.

Unfortunately, like its been mentioned on this forum large companies do not often cater to collectors like us...the 5%...maybe 1%! The only time you’ll get that quality of product is if you have an actual fan or collector in house AND he/she is actually working on the line. Even if you’re a huge fan and not in that dept they tell you to step back….go back to your cubicle. During my time there I was actually reprimanded for trying to help the male action group with some of their Batman line (bc I’m a Batman fan). That’s just the environment there and being as large as they are…it may not ever change. One of the sayings there “Don’t fall in love with your project”.

I apologize for not jumping on this sooner as I may have had some influence on the final product. I should know more about what’s going on there over the weekend. I have no idea why there are no responses to any posts you guys have on Matty. I just see a row of topics started with zero replies…that’s embarrassing.

Some more info as of this afternoon:

Its been brought up internally that Matty has been asleep at the forum. You guys should see some activity shortly and hopefully some responses.

Email I just received word for word

"It's just FS / EP stage so if deco is wrong they need to know. The one at sdcc was EP painted up in the case. The working model didn't have the correct deco but the one in the display case should have"

Since I wasn't at CC this year I might need some informative background. FS is first shot and EP is engineering prototype....there's still time to fix things. Like I said if I can make this any better before it ships...I will!

Dave

"It's just FS / EP stage so if deco is wrong they need to know. The one at sdcc was EP painted up in the case. The working model didn't have the correct deco but the one in the display case should have"

Since I wasn't at CC this year I might need some informative background. FS is first shot and EP is engineering prototype....there's still time to fix things. Like I said if I can make this any better before it ships...I will!

Dave

They have just to see 2 or 3 posts, and check their flaws. If they still can't figure it out, they can ask the fans. We don't bite... It's not that hard...

Some more info as of this afternoon:

Its b:Deen brought up internally that Matty has been asleep at the forum. You guys should see some activity shortly and hopefully some responses.

Dave

You have just made my day. If you can get this ANY better, you'll be the hoverboard hero of Therpf :lol

Hi Roland, I just sent you a PM. I'm hoping you can help me. :thumbsup

In other Mattel news I received an email last night from a close Mattel designer friend who happens to be a BIG BTTF fan. He has an excellent eye for detail and his craftsmanship skills are unreal. I figured he might've been involved in this and I was right. I think its important to read below if you have an order in for one of these. I also wanted to share with you guys the passion that many creative people have there at Mattel but for one reason or another...it just doesn't show on the final toy. It was the main reason I left. I'm still not done with this and will continue to try and improve the final production models if I can get to this issue in front of the right person.

Without throwing anyone under the bus, here is the story.

Someone in marketing got the idea of doing the board. A designer was assigned. They asked me to help out, since I am the BTTF nerd. I gave them all the information, graphics, materials, rough dimensions, images, etc.

We build a board for Toy Fair. Not bad for a first pass. Being the nerd, I told them what was wrong with it. They took note.

Side note, we got the sounds from Universal. I think someone thought it would be good to have sound to make slit 'unique' from fan made boards. Whatever, it is different and it it not a bad idea...not a great idea, good enough.

Meeting with Bob Gale, Michael Lantieri (original prop maker) and Mary Anne Lantieri (Bob's assistant on the movies, met Michael on set then married). We asked questions, took photos, measurements, color match. Got a lot of info.

At this point it was out of my hands. Well, it was never in my control.

From my understanding, they took the info and made changes. I have not seen the comic con board, just pictures.

Here are the problems that I know of. The foot strap is supposed to be fur. But I asked Michael, and he said it was the loop side of Velcro on a strap. So we went with the loops and not the fur. The images I have seen shows fur. I even asked of it was fur, he said no, loop side of Velcro. Maybe one of the 20-30 boards was Velcro. Tough call, do you go with what you see (fur) or what the maker says it was (loops)? We went with the loops...should have went with fur.

The boards Bob brought in where totally different. One was wood, other was foam. Both were different sizes, and did not have the foot pad and strap.

Mag discs were vac-formed, assuming from original and different sizes. Both boards had photo graphics, no lenticular.

Back to our board. Because of "toy restrictions" some safety things had to be engineered in. This is what makes it look like a toy and not a replica.

The pink Velcro has to be recessed in its own channel. Green Velcro pieces were too small and were omitted. Look at where the green should be, notice that the are "small" pieces. Yeah, it sounds stupid! You know how CPI is.

I have no idea if we ever got the lenticular sourced.

You know that I tried my best to stress what was right and wrong. Since I am not the designer, it was out of my hands. I constantly bugged the designer and marketing to get the correct stuff. But, you know how things are at Mattel. There is a point where I felt my suggestions were being annoying and ignored. Not my fight to win.

Anyway, I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed, I know I am. The average fan will be okay with it, but geeks like you and I will be outraged.

I will see if I can hunt one down see where they are at. Hopefully, things are fixed before final production.

Anyway, the board itself looks good. The problem is with the graphics, Velcro, lenticular, strap, etc.

Wow. Maybe time to cancel orders. I guess a question is the board worth trying to mod into a more accurate one? It seems like adding the velcro shouldn't be a problem, changing strap. The lenticular would be an issue.

You don't know that it will be as as it was at SDCC until they answer or until it finally ships. Rather than cancel now, it would be best to put pressure on them to do it correctly before it ships.

It seems pretty clear to me that at this point in it's production phase, the only way to do this Hover Board properly is to abandon the current design and start over from scratch. I mean, vibration? Gliding pads? Throw it on the ground to turn it on?

Well they're going to get a message from me alright. I will not tolerate a company that won't do what they said they were going to do.

Thanks for sharing that background story autoprops713.

Anyone looking to build your own hoverboard check out Roland's post mentioned above.

Guess I will wait until November/December to see a production piece, if there is no significant improvement I will cancel my order. I won't consider giving Mattel any money for a sub-par product in order to customize it later on. It would just give them the encouragement that fans will buy the products either ways cause it's licensed and carries the BTTF franchise name.

Prove me wrong Mattel. Myself and many fans have been supporting you for this product even before you acquired the BTTF license. Don't disappoint us.

cant we all club together and make our own...group together and use rolands great work to have the decals printed and buy all the stuff in bulk etc

we span the world between us so surley could work something out , probably some members that will assemble them for the folk that cant

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back