Marvel's What If series

I'm halfway through the first episode and holy crap, it's even better than I had hoped!
whatif.png

The first episode not only features Peggy Carter, but also does an amazing job recreating a WW2 art style to set the tone.

And since it was discussed above, this is the cast section from the episode's end credits:
whatif2.png

Last edited:
Oh, man, I had the biggest, dopiest ear-to-ear grin and tears of happiness running down my face the entire runtime of Episode 1. More Captain Carter, please and thank you! :love:
They now essentially have a setup where the multiverse story in the new movie phase can add her and yet don't have to worry abour anything established in the Netflix show, since that's a different version of events. Total freedom and twice the stories.

Wait, Cap steps aside so Peggy Carter can be a better Cap than Cap? Then Steve is just her ride?

Kev Smith He-Man all over again!

*jokes!*

Tho seriously it was fun - only real gripe is that the lip sync animation isn’t pushed so everyone has mumble mouth… bordering on “lip flap”

Peggy has a little too much “quippy dialogue” IMO, and they didn’t really explore any of the potential side effects that Erskine explained to Steve. I get that it isn’t feature length, but I expected a little bit of time to be spent on how it actually feels for her to become a Super Soldier

Peggy has a little too much “quippy dialogue” IMO, and they didn’t really explore any of the potential side effects that Erskine explained to Steve. I get that it isn’t feature length, but I expected a little bit of time to be spent on how it actually feels for her to become a Super Soldier

I'm not sure what side effects you're talking about... Are you talking about this scene?

I'm not sure why there should be any difference in how it affects her as she exemplifies basically the same qualities that made Erskine choose Steve... even down to being willing to throw herself on that dummy grenade.

I'm not sure what side effects you're talking about... Are you talking about this scene?

I'm not sure why there should be any difference in how it affects her as she exemplifies basically the same qualities that made Erskine choose Steve... even down to being willing to throw herself on that dummy grenade.
Don’t get me wrong I don’t expect Peggy’s demeanor to be anything close to how Schmidt or someone like Hodge would be with the serum, I just wanted a tiny bit of variance for her storyline, and the few throwaway lines about “boo you’re a girl!” try to touch on the sexism she would face but that ultimately didn’t really get explored. Side effects notwithstanding I would almost expect there to be more of a political issue seeing as suddenly a British individual is the recipient of this seemingly heavily American backed miracle. All of this said, I want to see more Capt Carter, and I realize they had to keep things pretty tightly paced due to the runtime.

I loved the elements that weren’t as paint by numbers, like Hydra Stomper, and the Lovecraftian horror summoned by Red Skull. I would watch a whole season of Capt Carter and the Howling Commandos fighting alongside Steve in the HS suit, especially if it’s in a setting where Hydra succeeds after Red Skull’s demise.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t expect Peggy’s demeanor to be anything close to how Schmidt or someone like Hodge would be with the serum, I just wanted a tiny bit of variance for her storyline, and the few throwaway lines about “boo you’re a girl!” try to touch on the sexism she would face but that ultimately didn’t really get explored. Side effects notwithstanding I would almost expect there to be more of a political issue seeing as suddenly a British individual is the recipient of this seemingly heavily American backed miracle. All of this said, I want to see more Capt Carter, and I realize they had to keep things pretty tightly paced due to the runtime.

I loved the elements that weren’t as paint by numbers, like Hydra Stomper, and the Lovecraftian horror summoned by Red Skull. I would watch a whole season of Capt Carter and the Howling Commandos fighting alongside Steve in the HS suit, especially if it’s in a setting where Hydra succeeds after Red Skull’s demise.
The SSR was a multi-national intelligence program formed by Roosevelt prior to the US's involvement in the war, but which became an Allied power effort to pool resources and combat Hydra's scientific advances.

I get what you're saying, and if it had been an hour long episode, maybe they would've explored that more, but we did have the Agent Carter series that showed us how much of a badass Peggy is in that arena, so it would be a bit redundant to do it here and potentially sacrifice new material.

That was great!
I missed any explanation of how the Tessaract got back into Hydra's hands. I thought Howard had it!

Also, her final line should have been "I just...I had a date."

That was great!
I missed any explanation of how the Tessaract got back into Hydra's hands. I thought Howard had it!

Also, her final line should have been "I just...I had a date."
Howard had it powering the armor, so Steve's been tooling around Europe with that ****...

Also, don't feel bad. I missed it initially too because I couldn't believe Howard would be that foolish... but then I remembered this is the dude who raised Tony and it made absolute sense. ;)

Last edited:
I thought Episode 1 was fantastic! Condensed down to the essentials, yet softer moments didn’t feel rushed.

The fight in the air scene was fantastic and really was too kinetic to even explain!

Bravo, Marvel Studios!

I would pay to see this episode in a theatre.
You already paid to watch it on your Home Screen.

You already paid to watch it on your Home Screen.
LOL Yeah, I guess I did. I just kind of wonder how it would look on a theatre screen. The shading and details in the animation were much more than I thought it would be. I’m curious if all of the episodes will have this level of animation. I’m still a cell guy myself, but this looks really nice. Kind of like a much more refined version of the style used on Ironman: Armored Adventures a long time ago.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back