Man Of Steel Replica

So I just got back from San Antonio for the USO. Great time performing for Armed Forces Appreciation weekend there! Also, finally got to see The Alamo. Man. Cannot say how happy I am that I get to help support our troops and they happen to be in the coolest places. So blessed.

Well onto the pattern. Not happy with what I was getting frm the stencil companies, so I'm going to ask for a refund since they cannot give me what I require. I am opting to make my own. My wife so graciously let me have one of her cutting mats. Funny, it's 10 mil. mylar. Exactly what the stencil companies would have used. So I printed out my own pattern I made from pictures I have taken of his suit off the internet and made my own design. huh? Anyway, laid it behind the mylar and taped it on. then started cutting. For the last 5 hours... I have a 2"x7" section started. this may take the better part of a few days. good thing I'm working this week. I will have to use my powers as a super soldier and an alien sent to earth to help do this faster and without killing my wrist. -2.jpg

Cutting Mylar is awful if you are just using a razor. I haven't tried it yet, but you can cut it waaay faster if you use a low power, like 25watt, soldering iron with a plastic cutting tip. Should help speed things up.

Good luck!

Cutting Mylar is awful if you are just using a razor. I haven't tried it yet, but you can cut it waaay faster if you use a low power, like 25watt, soldering iron with a plastic cutting tip. Should help speed things up.

Good luck!

Thanks Marshall! I was thinking about trying that, but man, my time is running out quickly. I have a few other costumes I am working on for other people, so I have to get those done first. Maybe when I get through with two of them, I can use the hot knife. I know it would give me a better edge. Thank you again!

- - - Updated - - -

Should that be the Planet Houston? :sleep Sorry.

This is a very bold production on so many levels... Look forward to seeing your "Man of Steel".

HA HA! I will be excited to get everything done and put together finally. The pattern for the raised stencil is the hardest thing so far... Oh well. If only I could use my laser vision...

So here is what I RE-STARTED on tonight... I think I already said no stencil company can print it for me, or if they can the guy said $200 for a smaller than 6x6 square piece. Makes sense. custom design, they ren't making that many of them. But it will be cheaper than paying $1300 for three yards of fabric. (But I'd rather do what Eldonaty is doing) But this is Man of Steel on a budget, remember. Gotta be creative. Just won't have it done for the premier.

I am creating a 4" wide by 5" tall piece. I started MUCH bigger at 12" by 16" but unfortunately, the lines once cut (thin mylar) do not hold their place in line. I'd get an extremely messy stencil. That's the point of a stencil though, nice and neat with the same pattern. I'm sorry I have not been updating as much. Just a lot of other projects coming up. Mad Moxxi, Turtles, this, Batman cape, doing some Cap for charity, throwing in the gym, being married (no kids yet, I don't know how the rest of you guys do it NCPunisher, Roblenz, Fly4V) and of course my regular performing work. Love you guys on here and can't wait to be on more with some 'stepping stone' updates. -5.jpg-6.jpg-7.jpg

Wowzers. Wish I still had access to my laser cutter, I'd do this for you :cry

Thanks for the offer, Freya! By the way everyone, go look at Freya's builds! She is INCREDIBLE!

http://www.therpf.com/f24/femshep-n7-armor-synthesis-me3-159296/

So I am in the process of cleaning this up a bit. This was at the end of last night. I am off to the dentist then a show, but will get more of this done as soon as possible. I am thinking of maybe not a whole suit, but I think I can make a kick butt t-shirt for the premier? Don't know if I'll have enough time, but will try!

-8.jpg

image.jpg so finally tested the stencil this morning. It broke on the first try. Too frageelay. Thinking of renaming this from MOS to POS.

So pretty much you did all that cutting for nothing? Dude that sucks! I did that with my Wookie pants. I latched hooked almost one side of a whole leg before I figured out that it was the wrong color.

So pretty much you did all that cutting for nothing? Dude that sucks! I did that with my Wookie pants. I latched hooked almost one side of a whole leg before I figured out that it was the wrong color.

Ha ha ha! Completely unfortunate, but we learn and move on. I am going to get a Don Nasty printed suit. Making my own ribs, chest, gauntlets, cape, and boot bottoms. I'm just about 6'4", so I got an XL but have a 33 true waist. Might have to take it in. I was looking at puffy painting but then ironing to get the flattened look. I will start practicing with some paint from michaels so when I get Don's print, I can start right away with a perfected stroke.

By the way, if you guys have not seen his print, GO. I am not a normal fan of someone else making pieces for me, (there's too much fun in it for me to let someone else have it... ;) ) but seriously, his stuff looks GREAT!

I have an instagram set up if you all want normal updates of my stuff. Check out: captaincosplay It's just a bit easier than sticking them all there when I don't have the time to blast you guys on here throughout the day.

BEST WISHES GENTLEMEN AND LADIES!

Looks great!

Thanks Mark! What part of OC are you? Born in MV and grew up in SC, and DP. Went to school in CM and worked for Disney in Anaheim, then Burbank.

- - - Updated - - -

nice work !

Thanks man!

- - - Updated - - -

awesome work!

Thank you Randyadam, I'm diggin the profile pic. I'll have updates soon. Also, you're in Azusa? I grew up in Socal. Azusa is beautiful and a few friends went to APU there.

Thanks Mark! What part of OC are you? Born in MV and grew up in SC, and DP. Went to school in CM and worked for Disney in Anaheim, then Burbank.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks man!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Randyadam, I'm diggin the profile pic. I'll have updates soon. Also, you're in Azusa? I grew up in Socal. Azusa is beautiful and a few friends went to APU there.

Oh cool, yeah I'm Moreno Valley born and raised. Just got out of the Marines though, which makes costuming easier to pursue hah

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back