Man Of Steel Replica

woodyROM -

I am going to stencil on the texture. But not with the spray rubber I initially thought by Rustoleum. When you bend it, it cracks. Just found that out. Gotta remake the gauntets. That's why I loved Plasti-dip, when you bend it, it bent. This has no give. The main thing to have in each costume is movement. It's their breath.

TIP: If you buy a new product, test it first before coating your Man of Steel gauntlets with it. Gotta build a new set. Wah wah. Now I know not to use that stuff! And 12 hours later, it still smells. blech. cracked rubber gauntlet.jpg

So since my last stuff cracked, I started looking for a suitable substitute for Plasti-dip. None to be found. But I did find out Home Depot is not allowed to sell the aerosol cans individually anymore from their distributor. I can only buy a 6 pack for $45. Fine with me, free shipping and I know I will use it for other projects. 4 alone I'm sure for this costume.

Anyway, before going to see Harrison Ford in 42 tonight (go-great movie) with my wife and buddy, I managed to cut out the new gauntlets and get a few layers of paint on them. No plastic dip since I don't have any yet, but I like the feel and look anyway. I started with a grey primer, let it dry. then a silver aluminum spray, then a minute later threw on some of the anodized blue from my cap shield I had left over, then while that was still wet as well, I dusted it with the flat soft iron metallic spray. It gives it some life. a nice blue undertone with a dark cover. -1.jpg-2.jpg Now to see if I want to continue to use those for the actual costume or if I want to spend some money (which I don't have) on the silicone. I will be searching for a suitable alternative. Something with the consistency of rubber, can take paint, fold-but not crease, adhere with a flexible bond to fabric. We'll see what jumps out at me...

Just bought a Serger for the spandex thanks to SuperG pointing me in the right direction. My wife is out of town today, so hopefully she won't notice this purchase until after she gets back... ;)

8f70649cefb3b7d11ed7646cb77f35d4128057b5.jpg :devil

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks JaySee1983!

I was thinking about starting an interest thread for his raised fabric. Anyone think they'd be interested in an interest thread from here? I'll let you know when I put it up after I have something to show.

Well, I tried freehanding it. Not happy with it. So threw it away. Going to start a different one. I might actually stay on budget if I did my research BEFORE starting on a replica project. ;) -3.jpg Believe me, I know what's wrong with it.

Hey guys, sorry for not a lot of progress reports from the front. I have been waiting to hear back from the stencil company I am using. A bit of a complicated pattern for their machine apparently. So everything is waiting on that pattern getting shipped to me. Otherwise, it's just another purple/blue/gray suit with an \S/ on the front and a red cape.

I will have REAL updates next week!

So here is the new chest emblem I cut out. I used the emblem from a picture of his chest, dragged it into photoshop, cut it out created a new image, cleaned all the edges, and erased what I wouldn't need to make the stencil so I could save ink, and then laid it out on my foam to cut. easy process and screen accurate as far as the edging and size go.

Still waiting on that stencil. Taking forever, but hopefully it will come out right. I ended up creating that in photoshop as well from scratch. Just using reference pics that have been released and trying to make them accurate.

But here's my new emblem.-5.jpg-6.jpg-7.jpg

I was going to use two pieces of foam lain on top of each other to give a good raise to the emblem, but on instagram the last day I've seen new pictures from the side that are a bit closer to his chest. See below. So I think I'm staying with one sheet.-8.jpg-9.jpg Sorry for the blur. They were a capture from instagram on my phone, then emailed to myself.

So since my last stuff cracked, I started looking for a suitable substitute for Plasti-dip. None to be found. But I did find out Home Depot is not allowed to sell the aerosol cans individually anymore from their distributor. I can only buy a 6 pack for $45. Fine with me, free shipping and I know I will use it for other projects. 4 alone I'm sure for this costume.

Anyway, before going to see Harrison Ford in 42 tonight (go-great movie) with my wife and buddy, I managed to cut out the new gauntlets and get a few layers of paint on them. No plastic dip since I don't have any yet, but I like the feel and look anyway. I started with a grey primer, let it dry. then a silver aluminum spray, then a minute later threw on some of the anodized blue from my cap shield I had left over, then while that was still wet as well, I dusted it with the flat soft iron metallic spray. It gives it some life. a nice blue undertone with a dark cover. View attachment 178922View attachment 178923 Now to see if I want to continue to use those for the actual costume or if I want to spend some money (which I don't have) on the silicone. I will be searching for a suitable alternative. Something with the consistency of rubber, can take paint, fold-but not crease, adhere with a flexible bond to fabric. We'll see what jumps out at me...

there areseveral things you can do man, you can sculpt them with wax based clay make a silicone mold and use a rubber casting of it like the smooth on shore 40 rubber, (make sure the rubber isn't silicone based like rebound 25) then dump your rubber, dry and boom yummy its done.

the other is make it out of a foam and paint a colored laytex on it, boom rubber look adn flexable,

nice thing about option 1 is you can make like a thousand of those things with that mold and it will always hold up.

So the no stencil makers can give me what I want. Gotta do it myself and save $70. It'll be smaller than my 18x18 I ordered, but it will be what it actually is. The printers could only give me enlarged versions of what I wanted. Oy. So starting on the cutting before work and flying to San Antonio this weekend for the USO.-1.jpg-2.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back