LOTR Witch King War helmet - from scratch...WIP

Awesome work! :thumbsup
I spotted your beserker post a couple of days ago and was very impressed with the end result. I say end result because I too am working on both the beserker helmet and also the witch king helmet. Whilst we have both gone the cardboard and bondo method, I felt that my route of using a balloon inflated and covered in papier mache as a berserker helmet base was maybe a slightly easier method for getting the required shape quickly, as opposed to the good old carboard method. However, the end result is brilliant and looks a million miles from its original cardboard base. And after spending about 6 hours sanding dowel rods till my fingers were bleeding, your nail method sure looks a hell of a lot easier :lol
Again, well done :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thanks, I'm enjoying the build too.

A little more progress - started building up the spikes with epoxy putty. Once this 'layer' is dry, I will refine the shapes and bulk the spikes up a little bit more:

1002167gj.jpg

Thanks.

I've hit the whole thing with a coat of black, to see where I still need extra work, extra sanding, puttying etc. :

1002176eq.jpg

It shows up the detail quite well, 'specially with the flash on. I can see quite a few areas which still need a bit of elbow grease, but it's certainly getting there, I think.

The coarse, but sanded area you can see on the top spike in the pic is what I'm trying to achieve over the entire helmet surface. This will look good with a drybrushed silver layer later on.

Al

I'm on the home straight with this project now.

Finally got it all sanded and the main coats of grey, black and silver paints are done.

Once it's fully cured, I will start the fun process of adding RUST, extra weathering and a then the black cowl for inside - oh, and a display stand.

1002182i.jpg

1002177c.jpg

Almost there!

It's lots of fun building stuff out of cardboard! :)

The paintjob is now finished:

1002187d.jpg

1002188w.jpg

1002189c.jpg

1002191k.jpg

I'm pleased with the finish - for a quick and dirty build / paint up, the rusted areas really look quite good in person!

All that's left to do is make a stand for it.

OMG! I F@#$ing Love it! Great Job! :thumbsup Gives me some ideas on how I will build my next project:love

Thanks, and yes give it a go, it's a fun way to build things and it costs very little money. I'd love to see what you come up with!

Final photo, here it is all finished and on the shelf:

1002199p.jpg

Al

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back