Lithograph in The Hunt for Red October

Baltar

Hello,

I'm interested in finding out the name and artist of a lithograph which appears in the opening credit of the Hunt for Red October. If anyone can help me locate it, I would greatly appreciate it!

I have an image of it, but I don't see any option here of uploading it.

Cheers,

Joshua

You should have a small picture icon you can click on to upload the image (y)

red oct option.png

I tried a reverse image search, and yes there are a lot of similar images, but none match exactly. Mystery. It looks like the Bonhomme Richard vs. Serapis. But again none match up completely.

Just to throw out the possibility, it could have been created by production (incorporating elements of historical works, but tweaking them to more closely align with the director's preferred composition).

Illustrator Jack Johnson is credited on the film... I'm sure he was capable of this.

Just to throw out the possibility, it could have been created by production (incorporating elements of historical works, but tweaking them to more closely align with the director's preferred composition).

Illustrator Jack Johnson is credited on the film... I'm sure he was capable of this.
Hi Tommy, thanks for your reply. My thoughts exactly. Could very well be a rendition. I’m going to try and get in touch with the props master and see if they would be willing to share the details. It’s truly a wonderful piece, quite haunting yet very well grounded.

Just another suggestion, but the philosophy of the movie is based very strongly in the ideas of freedom and Independence. The style of the ships also would be appropriate for what I'm just guessing. Take a look at the Battle known as the glorious first of June. Late 1700s, the French and the British, think revolution and how it applies to the movie. I've got nothing to base it on more than the ship builds, an appropriate interaction, and the general theme that makes it fit. A pretty fascinating story on its own. Insubordination of people on both sides sold it for me, I also think it's a peace created for the movie. Good luck on your search!

That litho is respecting the very popular composition of a naval battle. No flag affixed at the gaff (mizenmast: last one at the rear) makes it difficult to identify and very strange also. :unsure:
1800 for sure...maybe a drawing made for the movie. ;)

I managed to get a hold of the script for the movie. The lithograph is a rendition of the 18th-century naval battle between The Bonhomme Richard and H.M.S. Serapis. Wherein John Paul Jones was reported to have yelled across to the commander of the British vessel "I have not yet begun to fight!"

So, the only issue now is who exactly was the artist?

Some logical deduction here...Since it's pretty well confirmed, from the movie script, that indeed this is a depiction of arguably one of the most famous naval engagements in American history, it should return multiple hits on a reverse image search. But, nothing matches precisely. Close, but no.

Thus, I believe the lithograph is exactly what Tommy suggested; a rendition created exclusively for the movie to the director's standards, but based on a plethora of historical works...Meaning, I think it's time to try and ping Jack Johnson. Doesn't know me from Adam, but I'll give it a go!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back