LINK from Zelda's Twilight Princess-wip

Yet another small update. I picked up a aged brown leather belt that i'll be using for the strap of the shield. I also picked up a couple of alumunum brackets for the handle, they had been nickle plated so i sandblasted them and now i am hammering them for a nice planished look. The handle itself is going to be a bass wood with an aged planished look as well. I will post pics soon...GM

Loving all the detail you're putting into the props! A lot of "Link's" forget all those fun little details that really bring the costume to life! Can't wait to see everything all put together!

Loving all the detail you're putting into the props! A lot of "Link's" forget all those fun little details that really bring the costume to life! Can't wait to see everything all put together!
I'm thinking about making a compass. Doing the research...GM

2014-06-16162441_zps05e9cafb.jpg

Ok so in this pic i have 2 brackets for the handle one is before planishing with just a sand blasted finish. The other is planished, they are sitting on a piece of bass wood that i was going to use but as you can see in the next pic honduras rosewood is a much better wood to look at.
2014-06-16201457_zps0b5e2616.jpg

Hope you guys like. Tomorrow i am hoping to get started on cutting the wood, trouble is that it's incredibly hard to cut...GM

Last edited:
2014-06-17070234_zps39b3ddfc.jpg

Well i just cut one side. Took 30 mins, and needs to be cleaned up but looks promising. I had meant to mention that i'll try to age the brackets by heating up a container of lubricating oil with a torch and placing the brackets in the oil. We accidentally discovered this at work when a welded piece of steel fell in a bucket of oil, it had a beautifully age patina to the metal. I'll keep ya posted...GM

2014-06-17170838_zpsed26934c.jpg

So rather than go with boiling oil, i opted with hydrochloric acid. I think it came out great...GM

Last edited:
2014-06-18065608_zps6f39fdc2.jpg

Ignorance is bliss. As you can see, a second dipping in hydrochloric has ruined my pieces. But this is actually a good thing because now i am forced to make something from scratch and this time the material will be iron...GM

I was thinking of going with a planished stem to match the rings. Does anyone have an alternative to my idea? GM
Oh also just got an e-mail from Canada post and my links for the chain-maille have been shipped so i should have them by Christmas lol. I hope i got enough, i got 5000 links...GM

Subscribed! I love a good LoZ build. I'm planning out a twist on a Twilight Princess Link myself. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Oooohhh! That's something I really want to learn. Can't wait to see it.
I've done inlay with gold, sterling, copper. I've also done inlay on a couple of fret boards for guitars, but that was with pearl. Have not worked it in with wood before, but i think it will be something...GM

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back