Lighters to collect that were used in movies

Ronson Touch Tip Lighter and Cigarette Box (1936-1940) that was featured in The Maltese Falcon (1941) in Miss Wonderly's (Mary Astor) apartment. It could use a little polishing, but it's in quite good shape overall for its age and fully functional with the lighter. The middle divider in the box can be removed to hold cigars and left it place for two types of non-filtered cigarettes.

View attachment 1777368 View attachment 1777370 View attachment 1777369
That's a beauty!

Ronson Jumbo Lighter (1929)

-Huge table top version of regular pocket lighter design

Mine is now fully working, but I might replace the wick/packing as it doesn't always want to light, but I think that's more to do with the fact the wick is so darn far from the spark wheel. It's making a huge spark here and not catching unless the wick is soaked.

Ronson Jumbo Lighter 01.jpg Ronson Jumbo Lighter 02.jpg Ronson Jumbo Lighter 03 Lit.jpg

Last edited:
IMCO Silby Lighter (1938)

Another variation on their Squeeze Lighter, this one with an Art Deco design. Some had little paintings on them and other designs. Like other IMCO lighters, the fuel canister/wick unit can be removed when lit to use as a candle, but it's not very stable. The wind shield doesn't make for a very big flame, but it should work outdoors well.

IMCO Silby 01.jpg IMCO Silby 02 Lit.jpg

Ronson Mechanical Pencil Lighter (1st Generation 1934)

This is an earlier version of the mechanical pencil lighter I showed earlier in the thread from the 1940s. This one was made in the early 1930s. I honestly don't think it feels any clunkier or anything. This one lights like a champ every time. I don't have any mechanical pencil lead to test the pencil offhand (I think I have some in my old book bag from college in the garage as it's the same size), but it doesn't look like anything is missing.

Ronson Pencil Lighter 1st Gen 01.jpg

Ronson Pencil Lighter 1st Gen 02 Lit.jpg

Ronson Vee Lighter (1936)

-Similar to the IMCO "Klips" lighter from 1934 (I guess we know who copied whom)

I don't know if I'll be able to get the Ronson Vee Lighter working. It has a stuck flint and no easy way to get at it since the mechanism is riveted and I have no replacement rivets for it. Patience might eventually get it out with a wire bottle brush or something, but I'm sick of it for now. The spark wheel isn't moving so there's a fair chance it won't work regardless. I guess the IMCO version wins for reliability, despite selling for half the price.... It's nice looking, however. It is missing its tassel as well, although I'm sure a new one would look great.

Ronson Vee Lighter 01.jpg Ronson Vee Lighter 02 Open.jpg

IMCO Silby Lighter (1938)

Another variation on their Squeeze Lighter, this one with an Art Deco design. Some had little paintings on them and other designs. Like other IMCO lighters, the fuel canister/wick unit can be removed when lit to use as a candle, but it's not very stable. The wind shield doesn't make for a very big flame, but it should work outdoors well.

View attachment 1780171 View attachment 1780172
Oh...that's a cool one:love::love:

Ronson Banker Lighter (1937)

This one supposedly came in 16 different designs, but to me it still looks very similar to a standard Ronson. This one is in red reptile leather. It had a terrible stuck flint. I spent like an hour drilling it out and unfortunately snagged the edge of the main chamber next to the flint tube. I stuffed some material into the space, but it could use some solder or something in the future. It didn't stop the lighter from functioning perfectly, however as I still cleared the main flint tube.

Ronson Banker Lighter 02.jpg Ronson Banker Lighter 01.jpg Ronson Banker Lighter 03 Lit.jpg

I finally have something to contribute to this thread, "A Good Lighter" from the Battlestar Galactica episode "The Hand of God"

"Joseph Adama" engraved on the correct Regens lighter.

Attachments

• Battlestar-Galactica-A-Good-Lighter-1.jpg
    Battlestar-Galactica-A-Good-Lighter-1.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Battlestar-Galactica-A-Good-Lighter-2.jpg
    Battlestar-Galactica-A-Good-Lighter-2.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Battlestar-Galactica-A-Good-Lighter-3.jpg
    Battlestar-Galactica-A-Good-Lighter-3.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 18
Ronson Vernon Lighter (1953)

This is the last of the five table lighter "V" Series from 1953, consisting of the Victor, Vernon, Viceroy, Vera and Viola, each an early 1st generation Ronson gas lighter. This one looks a bit like it's had some sanding done and the bottom had a bit of a dent, but the lighter actually works (probably with a slow leak like most that old and unfortunately, I have no idea where to get replacement valves, unlike the 2nd Gen gas models).

Click for slideshow/larger view:

Ronson Vernon 01.jpg Ronson Vernon 02.jpg Ronson Vernon 03.jpg Ronson Vernon 04 Lit.jpg

The Entire "V" Series Side-By-Side left-to-right (Viola, Viceroy, Victor, Vernon and Vera)

Ronson V Lighter Collection.jpg

I've finally got one of the few big ones I'm looking for coming (used "Make Offer" instead of waiting for an auction). The Duchess is on her way....

The Duchess table lighter came in today. Sadly, there's nothing "big" about it.

The photos were zoomed in to make it look much larger than it is (smaller than all the "V" lighters above). It's almost pocket lighter sized. That's kind of disappointing. The photos showed a silver finish, but it's more like brass colored.

I didn't have time yet to check/test it or take photos.

I just won 3 more auctions including one where the guy selling it had no idea what he had and since it wasn't marked on the bottom by name and all the paint had come off, it wasn't necessary obvious even to a collector.

I guarantee at least one other buyer did as I ended up paying over $100 when it looked like it might go for $30. In reality, it was worth closer to $400. I never really thought I'd see one go up for sale as this is the first one I've seen now in five years.

It's a Ronson "Chips" lighter (not many were made, apparently). It's supposed to look like a pile of three different colored poker chips stacked on top of each other in red, white and blue. Here, it was listed as a Ronson "cylinder shaped" lighter as that's what it looks like with no paint left on it. It's a simple matter to repaint it to match the photos I've seen, but I wonder if a different color scheme might look better? That might hurt its value, I suppose.

I've got it and another one to repaint at some point (trickier on the other one with an art deco pattern, which needs some little dents filled as well).

That just leaves the Superba, the Light-A-Lamp and the Earl as the major remaining non-touch top table lighters I'm missing. I almost got a Superba last year. A Light-A-Lamp briefly appeared and then disappeared again (I suspect a private offer took it out). I don't know of anyone that's even seen an Earl beyond a book photo.

I've got one more rare yet, though as it's a one of a kind prototype (The Astor, shown earlier), but I wasn't even looking for that one. It just appeared for auction and bizarrely, no one else bid on it (still my most expensive purchase and I've got a few not in The Book and/or marked extremely rare).

Buyers beware...but also sellers beware. It's nice to see that some people don't know what they have is valuable. It's no excuse when you know that the Internet research could lead to more info. ;)

Buyers beware...but also sellers beware. It's nice to see that some people don't know what they have is valuable. It's no excuse when you know that the Internet research could lead to more info. ;)
Of course, just because some book says a lighter is worth x amount of dollars doesn't mean you can get that much. It still comes down to supply/demand. The book estimates are just guesses bases on past sales, but most are 15-30 years out of date and many that are listed as rare turned out to not be as rare as once believed due to the Internet while others that used to be in high demand are held tightly by collectors until they die and someone picks them up at an estate sale.

I don't know how much restoring paint jobs affects things, etc either with lighters. Most online sales indicate restored and working is better while coins you would never clean as that hurts their value (don't ask me why; they're still worth more in better original condition, but cleaning is a huge no-no. I guess people love dirt and oxidation....)

Of course, just because some book says a lighter is worth x amount of dollars doesn't mean you can get that much. It still comes down to supply/demand. The book estimates are just guesses bases on past sales, but most are 15-30 years out of date and many that are listed as rare turned out to not be as rare as once believed due to the Internet while others that used to be in high demand are held tightly by collectors until they die and someone picks them up at an estate sale.

I don't know how much restoring paint jobs affects things, etc either with lighters. Most online sales indicate restored and working is better while coins you would never clean as that hurts their value (don't ask me why; they're still worth more in better original condition, but cleaning is a huge no-no. I guess people love dirt and oxidation....)
Yes, I used to restore antiques of all sorts: furniture, lamps, clocks, etc...some stuff has to be left alone (furniture) and others have to be cleaned-up completely and repainted/restored with the same type of color/paint, etc...
It's strange when you think of it;):unsure:

Ronson Duchess Table Lighter (1934)

This table lighter was smaller than it looked, but in pretty good shape. It wasn't so easy to locate. It's made of Dureum (not an easy word to locate either) and seems to be some kind of "super hard" alloy, possibly of brass.

Click for larger photo:

Ronson Duchess 01.jpg Ronson Duchess 02 Lit.jpg

Ronson "Chips" Lighter (1936)

This lighter has been so difficult to find, I never thought I'd find one. Fortunately, the seller had no idea what he had as the name is unmarked (apparently a nickname) and all the paint was off of it. It still cost me over $100 as I think at least one other bidder did know what it was. I bid considerably higher than I paid.

It's supposed to look like a pile of poker chips and painted red on top, white in the middle and blue on the bottom, but I thought it was kind of ugly and I don't have all those colors on hand anyway so I went with a classier Gold, White , Silver stack.... It's easy enough to remove and repaint if needed. I seem to have reversed the larger stack to be gold instead.... The lighter is in good shape and worked fine once I removed the flint.

Click for larger photo/gallery:

Unpainted:

Ronson Chips Lighter 01 Unpainted.jpg Ronson Chips Lighter 02 Unpainted Lit.jpg

Painted:

Ronson Chips Lighter 03 Painted R.jpg Ronson Chips Lighter 04 Painted L.jpg Ronson Chips Lighter 05 Painted Lit.jpg

Original Paint Scheme:

Ronson Chips Original Paint.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back